cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Requesting Payment UP-Front when submitting Offers to Seller !

Hello All,

Today I tried to send some offers to a few sellers and to my surprise, eBay is now asking for Default Payment Method !!! So, NO, I did not submit any offers and this will put me off at not sending ANY OFFERS at all. This will put me OFF at NOT buying much from eBay really !

I have also been wondering why eBay is having such a hard time converting potential buyers into actual paying buyers ... many high volume sellers have been complaining for the last 90 days or so that their sales have plummeted ... SO, I do not think asking buyers for PAYMENT UP-FRONT to just send offers will help ... this will just put buyers OFF and NOT buy at all ... I really do not understand what eBay is thinking.

Yes, I know when a seller accepts an offer and the buyer does not pay, the seller has to wait 4-5 business days to request a cancellation from eBay and get the final-value fees back ... but, IF eBay is so concerned about deadbeat offers (buyers ... cough-cough 🤔), then asking for FINANCIAL INFORMATION UP-Front from the buyers is not the solution ... sorry, but it is NOT ! ... this approach will only lead the potential buyers to just run-off.

I think that when an offer is accepted by the seller, the buyer should have 48 hrs to pay.

IF a buyer does not pay within 48 hrs, then the seller can cancel and that is it.

(my opinion of course)

2023-06-07_1-10-21.jpg

*** Sorry eBay, but you are just dead-spot WRONG by asking buyers for their FINANCIAL PAYMENT INFORMATION just to send an offer to  a seller. ***

Anyway, I do not know if eBay would care to fix this mess.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

Re: eBay Requesting Payment UP-Front when submitting Offers to Seller !

@teknovo1   soooo happy ebay makes a buyer do this.

it shows whether or not they are a serious buyer or just jerking sellers around.

so many dead beats out there.

Message 46 of 90
latest reply

My issue with this is I cannot pre pay with apple pay. My credit card when used via apple pay is 4.5% cashback so I lose out on that. 

Message 47 of 90
latest reply

This is exactly the unintentional vibe that this new feature gives to the buyers.

And guess what: 

Buyers will run away and not care anymore to send offers.

Why?  Because the new vibe is that now buyers got have their financial information being stored at some eBay server who knows where.  So, these are impositions and obligations that buyers do not really like and will just put them off.  The good majority of buyers like to pay on the FLY, meaning NO financial information is ever stored or at least the buyer is not consenting to any data being stored regarding their financial information when payment on the FLY is done.

Yeah, this is not good for the seller's bottom line because sales will drop-down if buyers are no longer engaged due to this unintentional vibe.

Thanks for your input.

Message 48 of 90
latest reply

OK, I see your point ... your are losing on your benefits given by your CC when using apple pay.

This is yet another reason as to why this feature should not have been Turn ON automatically by eBay on ALL seller's accounts.

Yeah, as others have replied, the potential buyers can still message the seller(s) and work something out.

But, this becomes yet more hassle for both buyers and sellers alike.

IF some sellers are happy with this new feature, then turn it ON.

But, eBay should not assume that all sellers across the board are happy to have it Turned ON automatically by eBay.

Thanks for the input.

Message 49 of 90
latest reply

This is the way it should be. I've had to take off best offer option on all my listings because of non-payments. I also don't send offer either. I have about 150 items that I could send offers to, but I don't. If this is the new permanent thing, maybe now I'll start putting offers back on my listings. My question for you is, why do you have such a problem with it? Why are you dickering, if you're not ready to pay?

Message 50 of 90
latest reply

@teknovo1 wrote:

This approach will only lead the potential buyers to just run-off.

It will lead potential non-payers to run off. Which is good. I don't want offers from people who have no intention of paying right away. 

Message 51 of 90
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

When you go to a store and shop you have to pay UPFRONT, this is no difference 

@myfrugalboutique 

I don't have to present my credit card at the door, and they are not going to bill my card for  75 separate transactions  as they enter my basket in the  grocery store.  

This program prevents combining items for one invoice and combined shipping charge. 

Bad analogy, you don't have to present your credit card to browse ebay, and you don't have to pay if you put items in your cart. You pay at checkout. The difference at big box stores, there's no dickering on prices. 

Message 52 of 90
latest reply

Why do homeowners and banks always require I give financial information to them upfront just for me to make an offer to buy their house? It will scare away many home buyers from making offers at all.

Message 53 of 90
latest reply

You pay at checkout.

@mn467462 

With this program there is no "checkout".  There is no option to send offers for ten items from the same seller for a combined order.  They all will be individual transactions where the seller pays the 30 cent fee for all ten ($3 instead of 30 cents. , and fees for all the individual shipping charges and taxes as well. 

A seller CHOOSES to use the Best Offer feature unless eBay decides to put it on their listings against their will.  Otherwise,  it suggests that the seller is "open" to selling it for less, and "dickering" is invited. 

Right now my "workaround" for my ID being forced into this program is simply to use another one that is not.  Made 5 offers from one seller today, all accepted, got a combined shipping invoice and all is good.  I paid the $375  in ten minutes, just like I always have for the last 23 years.   

I do realize this will likely only work for the short term.  I will continue to put items on my watch list for those sellers that send offers.  It is nice to see they send me offers that were LESS than what my offer would have been had they not had the block in place. 

Message 54 of 90
latest reply

Because if you are buying more than one item they can do a combined shipping invoice. I have opted out and so have sellers that we buy multiple items from after we told them what was going on. It makes WAY more work for the seller if a buyer buys five things and pays for shipping five times and then the seller refunds and has to upload tracking to each item.

Debbie
Message 55 of 90
latest reply

@fromyesteryeartohere wrote:

I have opted out and so have other sellers.

How do you opt out? 

Message 56 of 90
latest reply

I would never shop at a brick and mortar store that demands that i pay upfront before i shop around to see IF i might purchase something from their store. "WELCOME TO MACY'S!!! PAY $500 NOW AND THEN GO SEE WHAT YOU WANT!" yeah, great business model.....

^^^^^

@jabo1sfh   Making an offer is not an "IF I buy it" situation.  You make an offer , you are saying you are buying it, committing to the purchase.  This isn't a game. 

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 57 of 90
latest reply

How do you opt out?

@mn467462 

If you are a BUYER and your ID was forced into the program you are stuck and cannot opt out.  

If you are a SELLER, and wish to remove the requirement that the buyer provide a payment source prior to making an offer so that they can make more than one offer for a combined total/shipping you need to UNCHECK  the last  setting on this page BUYER PAYMENT REQUIREMENTS: 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements 

Message 58 of 90
latest reply

Here's my issue...if I go to a store and put a $350 item on the counter, they don't freeze $350 on my cc, then charge my cc $350, and then I have to wait until who-knows-when I get my frozen $350 back. If it's no longer an issue, great. But it sounds like it is. That is a MAJOR problem.. And to those who want it on auctions...since I snipe, it's not a major issue, I'll just snipe earlier. But if you're a nibbler, do you need a preauthorization for every bid? How much is tied up on your cc now? 

Message 59 of 90
latest reply

Thanks. This is just my forum posting account. But I couldn't for the life of me find it.

Message 60 of 90
latest reply