cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Requesting Payment UP-Front when submitting Offers to Seller !

Hello All,

Today I tried to send some offers to a few sellers and to my surprise, eBay is now asking for Default Payment Method !!! So, NO, I did not submit any offers and this will put me off at not sending ANY OFFERS at all. This will put me OFF at NOT buying much from eBay really !

I have also been wondering why eBay is having such a hard time converting potential buyers into actual paying buyers ... many high volume sellers have been complaining for the last 90 days or so that their sales have plummeted ... SO, I do not think asking buyers for PAYMENT UP-FRONT to just send offers will help ... this will just put buyers OFF and NOT buy at all ... I really do not understand what eBay is thinking.

Yes, I know when a seller accepts an offer and the buyer does not pay, the seller has to wait 4-5 business days to request a cancellation from eBay and get the final-value fees back ... but, IF eBay is so concerned about deadbeat offers (buyers ... cough-cough 🤔), then asking for FINANCIAL INFORMATION UP-Front from the buyers is not the solution ... sorry, but it is NOT ! ... this approach will only lead the potential buyers to just run-off.

I think that when an offer is accepted by the seller, the buyer should have 48 hrs to pay.

IF a buyer does not pay within 48 hrs, then the seller can cancel and that is it.

(my opinion of course)

2023-06-07_1-10-21.jpg

*** Sorry eBay, but you are just dead-spot WRONG by asking buyers for their FINANCIAL PAYMENT INFORMATION just to send an offer to  a seller. ***

Anyway, I do not know if eBay would care to fix this mess.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You can still browse the site all you want. You just can't send fake offers anymore without the intention of paying. If you want an item and you send an offer, you pay for it. It's that simple. You can window shop all you want and you know that. Every single retail site requires a credit card before you bid on a item. No more deadbeat buyers.... 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 84 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

@teknovo1 wrote:

I have also been wondering why eBay is having such a hard time converting potential buyers into actual paying buyers ... 

That depends on your definition of "potential buyer." I define it as a person who places an offer. Anything less than that and you're just a random person passing by. By that, ebay is definitely converting more potential buyers to actual paying buyers with this new change by making all offers successfully paid if accepted. Compared to the old system where many accepted offers don't get paid.

I think that when an offer is accepted by the seller, the buyer should have 48 hrs to pay.

IF a buyer does not pay within 48 hrs, then the seller can cancel and that is it.

(my opinion of course)

That still won't change the fact that sellers would be required to let their inventory sit in a state of limbo for days not knowing if the sale will actually go through or not. This is crucial for time sensitive items as well. Many of those "deadbeat buyer" items could've been listed quicker if not for the buyer paying window. They would be sold quicker, thus making ebay's daily sales higher rather than waiting around for days only to see the buyer didn't pay. If your solution is to cut the time down, you're on the right track. But cut it down more, down to immediately. Which basically IS what ebay just did to you.

Message 2 of 90
latest reply

Non-payers are such a problem.  I honestly don't see the  problem with providing payment information up front.  You would only be charged if the seller accepts, so what is the big deal?

4 days is too long to allow buyers to pay in this instant age of paying.  JMHO...

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 90
latest reply

Sellers can choose whether or not to require a funding source before an offer is made. You can always just hit the back button and look for a seller that doesn’t engage in this nonsense.

Message 4 of 90
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

Sellers can choose whether or not to require a funding source before an offer is made. You can always just hit the back button and look for a seller that doesn’t engage in this nonsense.

Or as I heard, the OP can message the seller and ask that they be put into the seller's exemption list for not requiring a funding source.

I for one would never agree to such back and forth hassle to give a buyer a chance to back out on their offer.

Message 5 of 90
latest reply

eBay has given this buyer requirement to sellers to use to protect against nonpaying buyers when they accept the buyers offer. Submitting your intent to purchase with a method of payment is no different than buying out right with one acception, if the seller declines your offer you don't pay.

Why should a seller have to wait around to see if you will pay for the item when the seler accepted your offer?

If you want to end your buying on ebay that is entirely up to you. No one is forcing you to stay here to buy. And announcing your departure is not necessary. 

eBay isn't going to "fix it" there is nothing wrong with it.

Message 6 of 90
latest reply

They are trying to fix this mess.

Next, they need to do auctions the same way.

Have a great day
Message 7 of 90
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

From what I have read, sellers are opted in and have to manually opt out.    Why would you ask a seller to make it so you can't pay right away.  What seller would agree to that?  We  all want to get paid in a timely manner just like buyers want to get their items in a timely manner.  I still do not see why this is a bad thing. 

Message 8 of 90
latest reply

@teknovo1 You don't say WHY this is a problem for you.  Were you not going to pay for the item?  Were you going to wait 4 days to pay?  This is only a problem for non payers.

Message 9 of 90
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

@teknovo1 You don't say WHY this is a problem for you.  Were you not going to pay for the item?  Were you going to wait 4 days to pay?  This is only a problem for non payers.

Not just non-payers, but also for those who wish to make offers on multiple items from the same seller and save money by combining shipping.

Message 10 of 90
latest reply

When you go to a store and shop you have to pay UPFRONT, this is no difference 

Message 11 of 90
latest reply

Why would you ask a seller to make it so you can't pay right away.  What seller would agree to that? 

@evry1nositswindy 

A smart seller may agree to that because I want to make offers on ten items  in ten minutes with the intent to combine shipping.  With this new forced method, I am required to pay the shipping on each item which may just add up to an unreasonable amount. Can't request an invoice since all the stuff is paid for automatically one by one.   I have given the example previously of jewelry items with shipping listed @ $5 each.  Ten items would be $50.  I pay tax on that $50 as well.  The seller is going to pay fees on that $50 + tax too, when the products could be easily combined for a shipping cost of $6.  

The option to combine is taken off the table, and there is no incentive to make offers on additional items from the same seller.   I pay right away.  My ID has over 4000 feedbacks and dates to 1998.  Unfortunately, now that eBay has forced my ID into this program, I simply back out and offer nothing.  The seller will never know they are missing out on a $300 sale, but they will feel safe and secure knowing they perhaps prevented an NPB.  

Be advised that not all buyer IDs have been forcibly enrolled yet.  Sellers can see by the notation those that have, so they can avoid accepting from anyone else.  I would encourage all those that live in fear of an NPB to only accept offers from  those buyers
 that are in the forced program even if they are for $50 less.   LOL.  (Contrary to what I have been told previously, yes, sellers of more desirable items will get more than one offer on their product at the same time). 

Since I do not particularly make "low" offers, I just put the items on my "watch list".  The seller will often SEND ME an offer for significantly less than my offer would have been had I been agreeable to what eBay is trying to force me to do.   And surprise.....I don't have to supply my financial info up front in order to accept. 

Message 12 of 90
latest reply

I don't know why you're worrying about it if you made an offer you are apparently wanting to purchase it. If you're not wanting to buy it just yet, then put it on your watch list. If I made an offer on something, that means I want it at the price I asked them to sell it to me for, if they accept that price I don't blame them at all for wanting their money and having that feature in their shop. It's one of those things that shouldn't be a problem at all. There are so many other things to worry about, this shouldn't be one of them. 

Message 13 of 90
latest reply

Also most sellers would be happy to refund excessive shipping if you purchased multiple items. Honestly I don’t see what the issue is. 

Message 14 of 90
latest reply

When you go to a store and shop you have to pay UPFRONT, this is no difference 

@myfrugalboutique 

I don't have to present my credit card at the door, and they are not going to bill my card for  75 separate transactions  as they enter my basket in the  grocery store.  

This program prevents combining items for one invoice and combined shipping charge. 

Message 15 of 90
latest reply