cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Requesting Payment UP-Front when submitting Offers to Seller !

Hello All,

Today I tried to send some offers to a few sellers and to my surprise, eBay is now asking for Default Payment Method !!! So, NO, I did not submit any offers and this will put me off at not sending ANY OFFERS at all. This will put me OFF at NOT buying much from eBay really !

I have also been wondering why eBay is having such a hard time converting potential buyers into actual paying buyers ... many high volume sellers have been complaining for the last 90 days or so that their sales have plummeted ... SO, I do not think asking buyers for PAYMENT UP-FRONT to just send offers will help ... this will just put buyers OFF and NOT buy at all ... I really do not understand what eBay is thinking.

Yes, I know when a seller accepts an offer and the buyer does not pay, the seller has to wait 4-5 business days to request a cancellation from eBay and get the final-value fees back ... but, IF eBay is so concerned about deadbeat offers (buyers ... cough-cough 🤔), then asking for FINANCIAL INFORMATION UP-Front from the buyers is not the solution ... sorry, but it is NOT ! ... this approach will only lead the potential buyers to just run-off.

I think that when an offer is accepted by the seller, the buyer should have 48 hrs to pay.

IF a buyer does not pay within 48 hrs, then the seller can cancel and that is it.

(my opinion of course)

2023-06-07_1-10-21.jpg

*** Sorry eBay, but you are just dead-spot WRONG by asking buyers for their FINANCIAL PAYMENT INFORMATION just to send an offer to  a seller. ***

Anyway, I do not know if eBay would care to fix this mess.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

I think you are complaining too much. When you go to a store and CHECK OUT you must make payment. I am getting the feeling how nicely this is explained, nothing is going to give you the answer you want. 

Message 16 of 90
latest reply

My husband also hates it and I get it not being comparable to in store check out its not.  However In absolute comparison Poshmark and Mercari do this with offers as well.  It's not a new concept and some sellers have been asking for it for a while knowing these other comparable platforms had it.  

I'm not a seller on those so I have no idea if sellers have the opt out that eBay gives sellers. 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 17 of 90
latest reply

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

Non-payers are such a problem.  I honestly don't see the  problem with providing payment information up front.  You would only be charged if the seller accepts, so what is the big deal?

4 days is too long to allow buyers to pay in this instant age of paying.  JMHO...

The problem is that your cc or PayPal account will have a pending transaction with each offer.  I’d have no issue with eBay having a card on file for IF AND WHEN an offer is accepted.  Kind of like invaluable.com - I often need to have a cc on file for an auction - no problem there.  But I don’t get charged for every bud that I make.

Message 18 of 90
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

Non-payers are such a problem.  I honestly don't see the  problem with providing payment information up front.  You would only be charged if the seller accepts, so what is the big deal?

4 days is too long to allow buyers to pay in this instant age of paying.  JMHO...

The problem is that your cc or PayPal account will have a pending transaction with each offer.  I’d have no issue with eBay having a card on file for IF AND WHEN an offer is accepted.  Kind of like invaluable.com - I often need to have a cc on file for an auction - no problem there.  But I don’t get charged for every bud that I make.

Supposedly they have done away with this because of the issues that kept occuring with the hold still showing after the payment was successful.  

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 19 of 90
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

This program prevents combining items for one invoice and combined shipping charge. 

Ebay & some sellers are experiencing declining sales, & manny buyers will effectively be discouraged to make multiple item purchases by paying the individual shipping cost on each item.

When trusting the seller to make good on a promise to combine shipping & refund their buyer the shipping overcharge,

if the seller fails to do so & in a timely manner, will Ebay issue the buyer a partial shipping refund ? 

NPB 's are unfortunately part of doing business, & this program should only target buyers who are a NPB

Message 20 of 90
latest reply

When you make an offer, you should pay immediately. Why wait 48 hours. Personally, I do not shop or make offers if I do not have the dough at the moment.   This is actually a good program except when a buyer wants to make multiple offers and needs combined shipping.  Then it's a bad program.

Message 21 of 90
latest reply

Just like a seller who accepts a best offer, and they have to wait to receive their money, up to four days. Their merchandise is taken out of their inventory and they are waiting for someone to pay.  That is wrong. You want it, you buy it, you pay. I have immediate payment on all my listings. 

Message 22 of 90
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote:

@evry1nositswindy wrote:

@teknovo1 You don't say WHY this is a problem for you.  Were you not going to pay for the item?  Were you going to wait 4 days to pay?  This is only a problem for non payers.

Not just non-payers, but also for those who wish to make offers on multiple items from the same seller and save money by combining shipping.

A buyer can offset that by lowering their future offers from that seller by the combined shipping discount amount. I.e. seller offers $5 off of the second item shipping price, the buyer lowers their offer by $5 for that item.

Message 23 of 90
latest reply

Doing a test for 3 days. I turned that off so no payment requirement when making an offer. I will see it if makes any difference and let you know. 

Message 24 of 90
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Why would you ask a seller to make it so you can't pay right away.  What seller would agree to that? 

@evry1nositswindy 

A smart seller may agree to that because I want to make offers on ten items  in ten minutes with the intent to combine shipping.  With this new forced method, I am required to pay the shipping on each item which may just add up to an unreasonable amount. Can't request an invoice since all the stuff is paid for automatically one by one.   I have given the example previously of jewelry items with shipping listed @ $5 each.  Ten items would be $50.  I pay tax on that $50 as well.  The seller is going to pay fees on that $50 + tax too, when the products could be easily combined for a shipping cost of $6.  

The option to combine is taken off the table, and there is no incentive to make offers on additional items from the same seller.   I pay right away.  My ID has over 4000 feedbacks and dates to 1998.  Unfortunately, now that eBay has forced my ID into this program, I simply back out and offer nothing.  The seller will never know they are missing out on a $300 sale, but they will feel safe and secure knowing they perhaps prevented an NPB.  

Be advised that not all buyer IDs have been forcibly enrolled yet.  Sellers can see by the notation those that have, so they can avoid accepting from anyone else.  I would encourage all those that live in fear of an NPB to only accept offers from  those buyers
 that are in the forced program even if they are for $50 less.   LOL.  (Contrary to what I have been told previously, yes, sellers of more desirable items will get more than one offer on their product at the same time). 

Since I do not particularly make "low" offers, I just put the items on my "watch list".  The seller will often SEND ME an offer for significantly less than my offer would have been had I been agreeable to what eBay is trying to force me to do.   And surprise.....I don't have to supply my financial info up front in order to accept. 

Refer to my previous message #23.

Message 25 of 90
latest reply

It’s a feature. Some sellers require it, others don’t. Some care if an item is paid for and not just a fake offer, and than others don’t. Sellers have the right to want payment right away, and honestly I don’t see why it’s so insulting to you. Your still going to pay if it is accepted, and the only reason this would bother you is if you aren’t going to pay for the item imo.

Message 26 of 90
latest reply

You can just message seller to work something out 👋😮👋

Message 27 of 90
latest reply

Message the seller and ask them what they can work out for a selection of items and have them put it in one listing. They save more fees and on shipping. You save on the price and shipping as well. It’s pretty easy to do.

Message 28 of 90
latest reply

Entering your payment information before submitting an offer is how it’s done on other platforms I use and I don’t mind since when I make an offer, it’s because I intend to follow through. Cuts down the number of steps required to complete a purchase.

Message 29 of 90
latest reply

If sellers can't afford to wait 4 days then they should stop whning and just list items with BIN requiring immediate payment and not include the B/O option. In 20 years on ebay I've never had an unpaid item and never plan too. I am also not going to let ebay make charges on my card w/o me reviewing it first, I've seen too many glitches on ebay to allow that.

My life also doesn't revolve around ebay deliveries. I am usually out of town 50% of the time and bid and make offers during that time knowing I have the 4 days to pay. I certainly don't want immediate payments and items being delivered when nobody is there.

In addition. sellers already have their buyer requirement settings to weed out non-payers, 2 unpaid strikes and your out. Meanwhile buyers can't get a simple sellers block list to block deadbeat sellers.

Until ebay can guarantee everything I pay for will be shipped and exactly as described, buyer's should not have to guarantee anything either.

A MBG claim takes a lot longer than 4 days for buyers to be refunded. and if buyers have to wait 4 days just to ask ebay to step in, sellers can wait too, it's a 2 way street. I just had to wait aprox. 3 weeks for my money to be refunded on two items through the MBG. I find it comical ebay sellers are complaining  about having to wait the 4 days to simply relist the item for the minority of non-payers .

Message 30 of 90
latest reply