cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Requesting Payment UP-Front when submitting Offers to Seller !

Hello All,

Today I tried to send some offers to a few sellers and to my surprise, eBay is now asking for Default Payment Method !!! So, NO, I did not submit any offers and this will put me off at not sending ANY OFFERS at all. This will put me OFF at NOT buying much from eBay really !

I have also been wondering why eBay is having such a hard time converting potential buyers into actual paying buyers ... many high volume sellers have been complaining for the last 90 days or so that their sales have plummeted ... SO, I do not think asking buyers for PAYMENT UP-FRONT to just send offers will help ... this will just put buyers OFF and NOT buy at all ... I really do not understand what eBay is thinking.

Yes, I know when a seller accepts an offer and the buyer does not pay, the seller has to wait 4-5 business days to request a cancellation from eBay and get the final-value fees back ... but, IF eBay is so concerned about deadbeat offers (buyers ... cough-cough 🤔), then asking for FINANCIAL INFORMATION UP-Front from the buyers is not the solution ... sorry, but it is NOT ! ... this approach will only lead the potential buyers to just run-off.

I think that when an offer is accepted by the seller, the buyer should have 48 hrs to pay.

IF a buyer does not pay within 48 hrs, then the seller can cancel and that is it.

(my opinion of course)

2023-06-07_1-10-21.jpg

*** Sorry eBay, but you are just dead-spot WRONG by asking buyers for their FINANCIAL PAYMENT INFORMATION just to send an offer to  a seller. ***

Anyway, I do not know if eBay would care to fix this mess.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

EXACTLY, I'm glad you understand buyers playing by the ebay message rules and making you an offer that way. Have you accepted any of the offers? @maccnc11 
@maccnc11 wrote:

eBay genius at work, LOL------------ As a buyer, I am not going to fill out purchase information for an offer that has not even been accepted. It is a waste of my time. As a seller, this change explains why I have received so few offers- none in months. Instead, buyers have been sending me messages and making offers by message. I was wondering in the back of my mind why so many message offers. Now I know. Bad idea, eBay. PLEASE FIX. It was working fine before the change.

Message 76 of 90
latest reply

It's not you "the seller" I take issue with, It's ebay requesting payment BEFORE you agreed to the offer.  Imagine if you went into a store, but they didn't have the item you want.. Are you ok with the store holding onto your money while you walk around? I'm sure some will not go missing @us_bmich 
@us_bmich wrote:

Such nonsense?

What the heck are you talking about? You come to my item, you send a offer, I accept, you pay? Just like every store you physically walk into, you grab the item, you go to check out and you pay?

Why do you think it's ok for the seller to have their item removed from "for sale", while you the buyer take 2 to 3 days to pay me?

Truly, the way people think is starting to scare the heck out of me!

Message 77 of 90
latest reply

Pretty much had the same conversation with eBay today it's their policy no matter what and there is no work around according to eBay you either give them your bank information your PayPal information or you can't make offers anymore so eBay is no longer a bidding site or auction site it's just a new wish site and just as bad wish already made this mistake when they are automatically adding your PayPal to their account the minute you made an order they stop that about 4 years ago there's still a problem and always will be but eBay what were you thinking this is definitely and I'm sorry for the colorful thing time to get your head out of your ass no one in their right mind would attach their Bank information or their PayPal account information and allow eBay to run rampant I'm beginning to think eBay may have entered the Twilight Zone they're definitely on their way out thanks for listening to my rant absolutely flabbergasted at this stupidity

Message 78 of 90
latest reply

If you put this straightforward and really look at it it's essentially like if you went to Walmart them telling you had to give them your credit card before you could walk through the store to look this is eBay trying to kill window shopping or in essence shooting themselves in the foot I wonder whose kid got promoted to another unqualified job and came up with this idiocy

Message 79 of 90
latest reply

Wake up and think this is so simple it's not as much as the payment set up demanding it up front it's the fact of eBay having control of your bank account information not a good idea not a good idea no matter how you look at it a third party with your bank account information really that's just sheer stupidity that would be like Walmart demanding your credit card so you could browse the store before you could enter If the sellers are crying so hard cuz there's a two or three day delay then Maybe that problem should be fixed with eBay and not our financial well-being being dumped into eBay's hand to fix your problem all this is going to do is drive customers away oh sure would this policy you'll get your money right away from your one or two customers when you could have had 10 or 12,000 customers sure a few may not have actually paid or bought what they bid on but the few idiots that gave their bank account information to eBay that bought from you are going to be your only customers

Message 80 of 90
latest reply

“…like Walmart demanding your credit card so you could browse the store…”

This is closer than you think…

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 81 of 90
latest reply

As a buyer I actually enjoy this change - it's forced me to be very intentional with my offers. Not that I was a sloppy buyer before, but rather than put out two or three offers on items that would work I now search harder to make sure that I am sending an offer for items that I definitely want. 

It's a 'put your money where your mouth is' feeling that makes me make sure I'm not wasting anyone's time before I hit 'make offer'. 

Message 82 of 90
latest reply

What are you talking about? You make an offer on an item you pay for it it's that simple. The only people that are upset about this change are people that send offers and then don't pay. No one's holding your bank account information. If the buyer doesn't accept the offer you don't pay. Why is this so difficult for you to understand. It's ridiculous sellers have to wait 4 days for someone to pay. eBay doesn't require you to give them your credit card when you browse the site only when you send an OFFER TO PURCHASE AN ITEM.  If you have no intention of paying for an item do not send an offer. It's not rocket science. 

Message 83 of 90
latest reply

You can still browse the site all you want. You just can't send fake offers anymore without the intention of paying. If you want an item and you send an offer, you pay for it. It's that simple. You can window shop all you want and you know that. Every single retail site requires a credit card before you bid on a item. No more deadbeat buyers.... 

Message 84 of 90
latest reply

Did I miss something, when you make the offer and select paypal and it is acepted they treat it as a auto payment.  I pay for my purchases with my paypal balance as far as i can tell all auto payments go through credit card or bank account.  So no more using paypal balance for offer payments, so no more offers for me.

Message 85 of 90
latest reply

@teknovo1 wrote:

Hello All,

Today I tried to send some offers to a few sellers and to my surprise, eBay is now asking for Default Payment Method !!! So, NO, I did not submit any offers and this will put me off at not sending ANY OFFERS at all. This will put me OFF at NOT buying much from eBay really !

Sooo, let me get this straight you want to make offers and then not pay?

Sounds like you already are not shopping on ebay.

Message 86 of 90
latest reply

I want to be able to make an offer THEN choose how I pay.  Many sellers are LAZY and don't reply to offers.  If any seller reading this has a problem PLEASE block me. 
@monster-deals wrote:

@teknovo1 wrote:

Hello All,

Sooo, let me get this straight you want to make offers and then not pay?

Sounds like you already are not shopping on ebay.

Message 87 of 90
latest reply

Wait what !!!

Is this thread still going ... WOW !

That just show how unpopular this feature is on eBay !!!

Yeah, it is a feature that can be turn-off from your eBay store IF sellers would care.

Anyway, I have buying many things on eBay actually ... only the things that I actually need.

However, mostly through contacting the seller(s) or watching items and then seller(s) would respond with BEST OFFER and I can decide to accept, decline or counter-offer ... NO, I do not have to provide financial to anyone just because the seller(s) sent me an offer.

Again, I think it was mentioned in other messages that giving buyers FLEXIBILITY on the eBay platform is the BEST  way to go ... otherwise, buyers would just run for the hills and NEVER look back and the eBay platform and its sellers would crash like a UFO falling from space.  Give buyers the FLEXIBILITY and STOP the nonsense features ... GOOD LUCK to ALL.

Message 88 of 90
latest reply

@teknovo1 wrote:

Today I tried to send some offers to a few sellers and to my surprise, eBay is asking for Default Payment Method !!!

2023-06-07_1-10-21.jpg

Anyway, I do not know if eBay would care to fix this mess. 

Most everyone has a bad credit card. Just set that credit card as your default payment method! Yes, many retailers, even Amazon wants your credit card on file. 

xadexane_0-1709552219856.jpeg

But see? Your autopay could fail, and then you'd have to go back and provide another payment method. 

xadexane_1-1709552345685.jpeg

Simply use that credit card when you make your best offer and if the seller accepts, you'll still have to click that big blue Check Out Now button to

- Pay in 4 or

- use a gift card or

- pay with PayPal Credit or

- request combined shipping with all the best offers that seller accepted

the way it used to be.

Message 89 of 90
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 90 of 90
latest reply