cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Requesting Payment UP-Front when submitting Offers to Seller !

Hello All,

Today I tried to send some offers to a few sellers and to my surprise, eBay is now asking for Default Payment Method !!! So, NO, I did not submit any offers and this will put me off at not sending ANY OFFERS at all. This will put me OFF at NOT buying much from eBay really !

I have also been wondering why eBay is having such a hard time converting potential buyers into actual paying buyers ... many high volume sellers have been complaining for the last 90 days or so that their sales have plummeted ... SO, I do not think asking buyers for PAYMENT UP-FRONT to just send offers will help ... this will just put buyers OFF and NOT buy at all ... I really do not understand what eBay is thinking.

Yes, I know when a seller accepts an offer and the buyer does not pay, the seller has to wait 4-5 business days to request a cancellation from eBay and get the final-value fees back ... but, IF eBay is so concerned about deadbeat offers (buyers ... cough-cough 🤔), then asking for FINANCIAL INFORMATION UP-Front from the buyers is not the solution ... sorry, but it is NOT ! ... this approach will only lead the potential buyers to just run-off.

I think that when an offer is accepted by the seller, the buyer should have 48 hrs to pay.

IF a buyer does not pay within 48 hrs, then the seller can cancel and that is it.

(my opinion of course)

2023-06-07_1-10-21.jpg

*** Sorry eBay, but you are just dead-spot WRONG by asking buyers for their FINANCIAL PAYMENT INFORMATION just to send an offer to  a seller. ***

Anyway, I do not know if eBay would care to fix this mess.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

I'll just snipe earlier. 

@doc-holmes 

If they put this on auctions, too, I'll just bid on one thing from the seller instead of five.  That is if I decide to put up the payment source first.  There is nothing here I need that badly. 

Message 61 of 90
latest reply

"There is nothing here I need that badly. "

That is exactly what many of the eBay sellers do not understand.

Buying online are just casual purchases for the good-majority of buyers.

So, what this means is that buyers are not really desperate to buy.

And when buyers are browsing possible items that they would want and see this IMPOSITIONS (forced rules) , the buyers run-away and stop buying all together. 

Yes, dealing with deadbeat buyers is a hassle.

But, over the last 24 months from the Selling Account, we only had 4 deadbeat buyers that never paid.

And we got our final-fees back by reporting that to eBay when requesting the cancellation that the buyer never paid.

On the contrary to those 4 deadbeat buyers, we had a little over 1800 GOOD sales/transactions in the past 24 months.

However, now from the past 90 days or so, our sales dropped by 50% ... and we have seen that many buyers are sending us messages requesting combined shipping, offers and so on.

Then, only from our small eBay shop we have seen that when the FLEXIBILITY for buyers is not there anymore, then buyers just get upset and do not buy.

So, we Turned OFF that feature of requesting FINANCIAL INFORMATION for just sending Offers.

We will see how it goes, but we are really concerned that our sales have dropped so much from our other selling account.

Thanks for your posting.

Message 62 of 90
latest reply

@doc-holmes wrote:

Here's my issue...if I go to a store and put a $350 item on the counter, they don't freeze $350 on my cc, then charge my cc $350, and then I have to wait until who-knows-when I get my frozen $350 back. If it's no longer an issue, great. But it sounds like it is. That is a MAJOR problem.. And to those who want it on auctions...since I snipe, it's not a major issue, I'll just snipe earlier. But if you're a nibbler, do you need a preauthorization for every bid? How much is tied up on your cc now? 

Is that the case? Because I was under the impression that they only took out the money out of your account when the seller accepts the offer. Because I don't agree with them taking out the money immediately after you send the offer, only for it to be declined, then that money is in limbo for a week. That's not cool, if thats the case. 

Message 63 of 90
latest reply

@teknovo1 

Most other internet sales platforms require a payment method up front.  If you ask me it's about time.  It will weed out the scammers and non payers that exist in droves on eBay.  Not calling you a scammer, but as a seller I like it and I myself as a buyer got the same requirement and I had no problem with it.  If you're going to make an offer and it's accepted, then pay for it.  If you can't or won't, don't make the offer.  Easy.

Happy Shopping

Message 64 of 90
latest reply

Thanks !

I do my best to support other eBay sellers just like me.

I also have another eBay account that sells items in the Electronics Categories.

My original message has had updated answers based on the views of the community that dedicated the time to post.  The links are here:

Message 36 

Message 48 

Message 62 

Regards.

Message 65 of 90
latest reply

@mn467462 wrote:

@doc-holmes wrote:

Here's my issue...if I go to a store and put a $350 item on the counter, they don't freeze $350 on my cc, then charge my cc $350, and then I have to wait until who-knows-when I get my frozen $350 back. If it's no longer an issue, great. But it sounds like it is. That is a MAJOR problem.. And to those who want it on auctions...since I snipe, it's not a major issue, I'll just snipe earlier. But if you're a nibbler, do you need a preauthorization for every bid? How much is tied up on your cc now? 

Is that the case? Because I was under the impression that they only took out the money out of your account when the seller accepts the offer. Because I don't agree with them taking out the money immediately after you send the offer, only for it to be declined, then that money is in limbo for a week. That's not cool, if thats the case. 

This is how it was being done.  However the hold was supposed to be removed before the payment was taken and it wasn't happening. I'm thinking the removed the hold completely to keep it from occuring. I haven't heard of any issues with this happening lately either way 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 66 of 90
latest reply

i only have one issue with this, as i sometimes use the Paypal Pay in 4 Plan, and thats not an Option with when i make an offer.

Message 67 of 90
latest reply

After 22 years buying and paying on eBay (26,000 feedbacks, hundreds of thousands of items), I have quit bidding entirely because of this new policy.

I doubt if I am the only one to drop out.

Does driving away bidders improve anything?

Message 68 of 90
latest reply

It is different.  You can shop all day in the store and pay when you CHECKOUT.  They don't charge you for each item as you put it in your shopping cart! Nor do they demand to know in advance what method of payment you wish to use.

Message 69 of 90
latest reply

Some people are seeing this while bidding, I haven't yet. My problem is everything I make an offer THIS stupid thing comes up. I don't make offers ANYMORE. EVERY seller I've contacted about this problem with instructions made by buyselljack2016
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/Ebay-requesting-payment-method-when-submitting-an-offer/m-p/339...
just refuse to disable the feature and I haven't purchased from ANY of the sellers. I feel this feature will bring ebay down because it's like a department store requiring your CC info just to walk around the store.

@ittybitnot wrote:

I'll just snipe earlier. 

@doc-holmes 

If they put this on auctions, too, I'll just bid on one thing from the seller instead of five.  That is if I decide to put up the payment source first.  There is nothing here I need that badly. 

Message 70 of 90
latest reply

Such nonsense?

What the heck are you talking about? You come to my item, you send a offer, I accept, you pay? Just like every store you physically walk into, you grab the item, you go to check out and you pay?

Why do you think it's ok for the seller to have their item removed from "for sale", while you the buyer take 2 to 3 days to pay me?

Truly, the way people think is starting to scare the heck out of me!

Message 71 of 90
latest reply

Such nonsense?

@us_bmich 

Some people like to combine multiple items for one shipping cost.  This program of having to supply a payment source upfront in order to MAKE OFFERS or BID removes that opportunity.  

If multiple purchases from the same buyer is something you don't want, then you are free to keep those blocks in place.  As soon as all BUYERS are forced into the program, you will have no non-payers.  You can even make ALL your BIN listings without a Best Offer feature  'immediate payment required' in case a buyer that has not yet been placed in the forced program tries to sneak by.  

As a buyer forced into the program, why would I bid/offer on ten items from a seller with this block if I have to pay $6 shipping EACH ($60.00) for items that can be combined in a parcel that weighs less than 5 ounces?  

The request total is gone, as all the items are paid for in full as an offer is accepted, or an auction win occurs. 

I can understand if non-payers are a problem for you, but you are discouraging buyers that DO pay as well.  That is your choice, of course.  

Instead of eBay simply getting rid of those that don't pay, they have chosen this route instead.  It makes them more money when there is no longer any combined shipping.  They make less money, since buyers are not stupid, and after they see the actual  consequences for this "New Smoother Checkout" nonsense, they likely won't be back. 

Message 72 of 90
latest reply

As a buyer, I am not going to fill out purchase information for an offer that has not even been accepted. It is a waste of my time. As a seller, this change explains why I have received so few offers- none in months. Instead, buyers have been sending me messages and making offers by message. I was wondering in the back of my mind why so many message offers. Now I know. Bad idea, eBay. PLEASE FIX. It was working fine before the change.

Message 73 of 90
latest reply

As a buyer, I am not going to fill out purchase information for an offer that has not even been accepted. It is a waste of my time. As a seller, this change explains why I have received so few offers- none in months. Instead, buyers have been sending me messages and making offers by message. I was wondering in the back of my mind why so many message offers. Now I know. Bad idea, eBay. PLEASE FIX. It was working fine before the change

Message 74 of 90
latest reply

eBay genius at work, LOL------------ As a buyer, I am not going to fill out purchase information for an offer that has not even been accepted. It is a waste of my time. As a seller, this change explains why I have received so few offers- none in months. Instead, buyers have been sending me messages and making offers by message. I was wondering in the back of my mind why so many message offers. Now I know. Bad idea, eBay. PLEASE FIX. It was working fine before the change.

Message 75 of 90
latest reply