cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, July 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have!

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: Community Chat, July 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@vrykalak wrote:

Back in 2012, I had a listing for some DVDs removed for "MC999 eBay Listing Removed: Copyright Violation"
The box has all the reasonable logos on it: CBS, Paramount, etc.
It certainly looks real. How can I tell if something given to me is illegal?

@vrykalak knowing your inventory and researching items online to verify that your product matches what the official product looks like can help. There are also many experts on the boards that can help verify if a product is authentic.

Keep in mind that not all items removed for copyright issues are illegal / fake. Sometimes rights owners ask us to remove products because they violate their rights. See this page for more info. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 76 of 93
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

Also, I want to thank ebay for the recent fee change announcement. Just want to be clear: there is no change to the store subscription price structure? 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques that's correct, the store subscription price structure hasn't changed 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 77 of 93
latest reply

Also, regarding the fee change, it's not entirely clear to me. Must a seller be IN Managed Payments, or is it enough that the seller has pre-registered and is waiting to be onboarded?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - I don't have a specific answer for you on this. The T&Cs just say that you have to be 'invited and signed up', so to me that means a successfully completed pre-registration counts. However - I am not the expert on this. 

I'll see what I can find out and let you know!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 78 of 93
latest reply

@windhaze wrote:

@windhaze wrote:

On the message I just posted? When I hit preview this popped up as well:  "This widget could not be displayed."

Another glitch? Also the post # sequences are all out of order too and no I haven't changed my settings at all.

Thanks.

Okay posts are now in sequence however there is no Post button just the Reply one-it did appear to work however as I see my ?'s did get posted by clicking that one again. Hope for some answers here please-thank you. 

Also this keeps appears on each post:  "This widget could not be displayed." Solid in the center repeated above and below in a shaded area? I don't know if other are getting that but I am. ?

Hi @windhaze - thanks for the update! I've noticed that the numbers catch up (eventually). 

Thanks for also getting me a few more details about when you're getting the 'widget' error. I'm not getting it myself, but I'll see what I can find out. 

You're not seeing a 'post' option because this chat is taking place within a single 'post' - the one at the top of the page. All questions are 'replies' to this post. It's semantics, but on the Weekly Chat if you choose 'reply' that will let you type up a question or comment for us and we'll review and reply as we can. 🙂

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 79 of 93
latest reply

@themodernavenue wrote:

Hello!  I've had a few buyers message me over the last few days that they are having difficulty paying/using checkout.  I also have had an unusually higher amount of buyers not paying over the last few days.  At the same time my sales have basically died.  I normally average 14-16 a day and now am at half or less over the last few days.  I'm wondering if there is an issue with checkout or PayPal or something else? 

@themodernavenue There isn't an issue that I'm aware of. Buyers can contact customer service for help troubleshooting problems with checkout, so I'd recommend buyers go that route if they report a problem to you.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 80 of 93
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

New Community error-

When you copy/paste content from an eBay policy page you get a red error that HTML has to be corrected- that's not new.

What is new is that when the HTML is auto-corrected by the system and you try to post the corrected version you're now blocked from doing so for an hour unless you change the content of your post.

error.jpg

I appreciate the attempt at eliminating SPAM, but it's having an annoying side effect.

Also- my post never did go through as I kept getting the HTML error so I had to manually type out the text from the eBay page I was quoting.

Thanks for this report @coffeebean832! I'll let Khoros know 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 81 of 93
latest reply

@ensus2015 wrote:

My tracking uploaded on time and validated percentage was decreased - that IS detrimental.  😞   It shouldn't be lower than 100% because EVERY package had tracking uploaded and scanned on time...it is decreased because of an Ebay software glitch.    And this is going on 4 weeks since it happened.  Why can the marks not be removed to bring my percentage back up to 100%??

Just to be on record again:

I have 3 day handling on all of my listings.   2 combined invoices were paid on 6/17 and mailed & scanned on 6/19 and 1 combined invoice was paid on 6/16 and mailed & scanned on 6/17.  The tracking on My Ebay SHOWS that these were definitely uploaded and scanned at post office on time:

Screenshot (23)_LI.jpgScreenshot (25)_LI.jpgScreenshot (26)_LI.jpg

Hi @ensus2015  - I appreciate the frustration on this, absolutely. In many circumstances protections are applied automatically and your status will be adjusted without needing to contact CS. 

Tracking Uploaded on time and Validated is a metric that can't be manually appealed until it has resulted in you losing a status (like Top Rated), which is why I've asked you to wait until the 20th. Please page us to a thread if your status moves to Above Standard at that time. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 82 of 93
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it may have been Marnie who said recently on one of the videos that ebay would be providing a good video on how to use the eBay Partner Network. Could you check to see when this will be released? I joined the EPN, but haven't done too much with it so far.....would really like a good video tutorial, and maybe a Q & A dedicated to EPN and the free FVFs....

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, I'm double checking to see if there is a different video Marni may have been referencing, but there was a video on our YouTube page last week that covers the eBay Partner Network (included below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkBwOdTCAEo

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, just wanted to update that this video is the video Marni was referencing, and we also are planning a chat in the near future with the team that is over this program to answer any questions you may have. Stay tuned for more info soon 🙂

Message 83 of 93
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

I keep seeing "Access To Website Blocked' when I first log in each morning on several pages I routinely use. I can open Advanced Search without hassle, and go from there to the other pages. (Then I have to log in and play the Captcha game, but the pages do open.) What gives?

Hi @vrykalak - if you're accessing eBay from a favorite page, shortcut icon or some method other than typing www.eBay.com into a browser window, this could happen. Because we run updates to the site weekly, it's possible that the URL a favorite or shortcut icon is trying to access isn't available any longer and then displays that error. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 84 of 93
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

I keep getting spammed on some of my accounts that I need to register for Managed payments.  I get a notice every time I log in.  Yet, I already registered and I think I am just waiting to get moved into MP.

And yet on this account I get a message when I log in that I have to fix my item specifics.  I fixed everything that I could find and don't see anything else.  I've check the categories.  

I honestly feel like ebay is changing the item specifics and when they change them, it removes the ones I have rather than populates them in ebay's new IS.  It's almost like it is a no win situation for sellers.  When the big update comes, are the IS going to be removed again?  It tells me to fix them now, but if you update IS in the coming months, won't they just get erased anyway?

And, just because I can.  I will mentioned that those "pages" that pop up when a user logs in is annoying to me.  You can tell me once, ok, maybe three times, but 2-3 times a day for weeks at a time seems excessive.  Just saying.....

Hi @golfingaddict - I'm not aware of any plans to remove your item specifics as the requirement rolls out. I'll ask for more details on what you're seeing when I contact you for other examples. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 85 of 93
latest reply

@bouncemobiletech wrote:

Please help - I tried to refund a seller the day after return was delivered but received a message saying "There was a problem issuing this refund." I tried the refund again the next day and received the same message. On day 3 (July 4th) my card was charged and I now have a defect for this return - how can I get this defect removed?

Is there any way to get in touch with a live person at eBay right now to help me resolve this? When I call the main customer service phone number in it just directs me to the help website, live chat is not available, and the email I sent has not yet been answered. This is VERY disappointing for a nearly 20-year eBay member/15-year seller (top rated for as long as I can remember), who is now facing demotion from "top rated" to "below standard" over this.

All the details are below:

This item was returned because the buyer changed their mind, there was nothing wrong with the item. The return was delivered on July 1st. On July 2nd, I attempted to send a refund through the "issue refund" button in my email from eBay. However, when I attempted to do so, I received an error on eBay's website stating "There was a problem issuing this refund." I tried to send a refund again on July 3rd and received the same message. On July 3rd I also tried searching eBay Help to resolve this matter, I could not find any information there to assist me. I also tried calling eBay customer service, but it appears it is not possible to talk to an eBay representative over the phone - I only received a recorded message directing me to your help website. Furthermore, I replied to the email with the "issue refund" button to request help, and never received a reply to that email.

In the early morning hours of July 4th, I received an email that the buyer had opened a case for this transaction, then a couple hours later another email from eBay that my credit card had been charged for this case. I am happy to have my card charged for this case, but there is no reason a defect should be issued. The defect from this case will change my account status from "Top Rated" to "Below Standard" on the July 20th evaluation. This is very concerning, as I have been selling on eBay for nearly 15 years, and I work hard to take good care of my customers and to earn "Top Rated" status. I tried multiple times to refund the buyer and to contact eBay for help, and was not able to do so because of issues with eBay, not any failure on my end. Please remove the defect for this transaction. 

Also, my last defect prior to this one occurred on Apr 07, 2020 22:09 - during the time frame that due to COVID-19, "Seller Performance Standards will not be negatively impacted during this period". Is this April 7th defect eligible for removal as well"

@bouncemobiletech if you run into a problem issuing a refund then it's best to contact customer service for help. You can go to this page and select 'Have us call you' at the very bottom. A customer service agent will contact you to help out further.

I've sent this case over for review, so you don't need to call for this one. I'll send you an email when I have more information about the options available.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 86 of 93
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

New Community error-

When you copy/paste content from an eBay policy page you get a red error that HTML has to be corrected- that's not new.

What is new is that when the HTML is auto-corrected by the system and you try to post the corrected version you're now blocked from doing so for an hour unless you change the content of your post.

error.jpg

I appreciate the attempt at eliminating SPAM, but it's having an annoying side effect.

Also- my post never did go through as I kept getting the HTML error so I had to manually type out the text from the eBay page I was quoting.

Edit: Reply to your comment can be found here

@coffeebean832 I've tried replicating this and am not getting this error message. Can you tag me in a thread and give me step by step instructions to follow so I can replicate this? Thank you!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 87 of 93
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shellhut wrote:

I've been selling for since 2005!  I have not received any promotions!  I didn't receive the 200 free the last 3 months and didn't get the newest one.  I have 100% positive feedback.   I don't understand why I'm not getting ANY promotions what so ever!  Please Help!

Hi @shellhut, have you checked your communication preferences to ensure you are set up to receive eBay promotions? Promotions are generally sent out to either specific sections of the eBay Community (based on volume, typical categories for buying/selling, previous promotions received, etc.), and not every member will be eligible for every promotion. 

Message 88 of 93
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gwzcomps wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

Also I would love to know on why eBay keeps insisting on sabotaging sellers on the delivery estimates.  Your systems completely disregard our handling times we have set.  On top of that you are guaranteeing delivery !!!AT OUR EXPENSE!!! when many of these guaranteed delivery times are shorter than my handling period.  This childish game is ridiculous and tiresome.

Hi @gwzcomps, our delivery estimates are based on the shipping service, location of both buyer and seller, and historical data. That being said, if you are seeing instances where the estimated delivery date is within your stated handling time, be sure to report the details for review. 

As for the eBay Guarantee, I'm not quite sure what you are referencing when you say it is at your expense? When we are confident a shipment will arrive within 4 business days and the listing meets all the eligibility requirements, we will mark the listing with eBay Guaranteed delivery - this does not place any additional responsibility or liability on the seller, and actually provides additional protections as long as the seller ships within their handling time. Even without this guarantee, a seller would still be responsible for late delivery, they just wouldn't be eligible for additional protections within this program, which you can read about in more detail here.

I have some examples in that one thread I tagged you on, but I can't find it at the moment.  My understanding of guaranteed delivery I am responsible for the round trip shipping costs on a return if the buyer doesn't get it on time.  Also I get a defect if the item isn't delivered in YOUR time window.  That is 100% unacceptable.  You need to respect our handling times or stop allowing us to specify them.  I don't want guaranteed delivery on my listings.  I also would rather not have to intentionally take longer to ship to force you guys to show more realistic shipping times.

Hi @gwzcomps, happy to add some clarification - the eBay Guarantee actually ensures that you won't be responsible for the cost of return shipping as long as you have met your stated handling time. eBay would provide a return shipping label to the buyer to cover the cost of the return. Without this guarantee being displayed, a seller would have to pay this themselves. An item arriving late is a valid reason for a buyer to return an item regardless of whether the eBay Guarantee was displayed or not, the guarantee just provides additional protections for a seller. These are outlined in the link I shared, and I can quote those here for reference: 

"If eBay determines that your listing qualifies and you meet your handling time, we will provide the following seller protection:

• If a guaranteed item arrives late, eBay will always make it right for your buyer with one of these options:
    • Shipping cost reimbursement
    • Voucher for a future eBay purchase
    • Free return label if the seller accepts returns
  • eBay will also remove any negative or neutral feedback left by the buyer regarding late delivery"

The Guarantee does not determine the estimated delivery date, but instead it is the other way around - the eBay Guarantee is shown when the estimated delivery date falls into the time frames associated with this program. 

Having this guarantee on your listings does not increase your responsibility or place you at any further risk, it instead provides you with additional protections you would not have otherwise.

Message 89 of 93
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@windhaze wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@windhaze wrote:

Good day Tyler.

Can you please give an update on what is going on with the Boards here? It started Sunday slowly and totally went bonkers yesterday. Read it was an update? If so can it be rolled back? It's a mess esp in the Soap Box. 

Posts I did yesterday disappeared, as did kudos I gave on the 14th as well-bad enough I had to hit the button several times in order to even get them to stick. The bell icon now pulls up a drop down menu that I have to hit several times as well to get that to pop up-the list goes on and on...very frustrating. 

It's not me, several other members are having the same or similar issues too. I have totally cleared out my pc, scans are all clean, browser (Chrome) is fully updated-the problem is not on my end.

I also would like to know who is in charge of these Boards? Is it eBay or Kohrs? If eBay I would appreciate an email so I can relay my concern there (different issue).

Thank you.

Hi @windhaze, you can find more details about these issues hereAny issues you are seeing within the Community can be reported to us here on the boards.

Sorry Trinton I saw that yesterday-it was supposed to be fixed today-it's not and doesn't apply to any of the other issues I posted either.  ?

Hi @windhaze, the issues you have run into recently are something we are investigating and you are welcome to share details on the Community Platform Feedback page I linked to. We may not have more details to provide in an update, but are always happy to take a report from you so we can investigate.

Message 90 of 93
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: