cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, July 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have!

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 93
latest reply
92 REPLIES 92

Re: Community Chat, July 15 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@golfingaddict wrote:

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the USPS shipping times and delivery estimates.  I am finding that I have 2-3 packages a week that are being delivered "late" according to the delivery estimates that usps gives and ebay puts on our accounts.

This is above and beyond the issue of historical ship times and unreasonable estimates. (that is an entire different and more frustrating problem)

For an example.  An item I shipped on July 7 with ebay's estimated delivery date shown to buyer as July 11 and the USPS estimated delivery date of July 13, has yet to show up.  This was a package that was shipped first class mail, was sold July 6th and shipped July 7 with one day handling.  The pick up scan shows it was picked up and scanned on the date as promised.   The last real scan was July 8 (depart post office) and it has an update of July 15 saying in transit to next facility.

As I stated I am seeing 2-3 a week that have this type of activity (about 100 packages a week so overall low percentage) but still a concern.

Would it be possible to invite or have an update from the shipping team?  I Know that in the past we have heard that they speak with USPS and have good communication with them.  I can't believe that I am the only one that is having these delayed packages.  It seems that a certain number of sorting centers (Chicago, Detroit, Houston) have seen Covid related issues.  I've personally spoken to someone in Detroit and have had communication with someone in Wisconsin regarding slow downs.  eBay seems to be the only one that will not acknowledge this.

In this weeks news, there are reports that the USPS has ordered carriers to leave behind mail and not get into overtime to deliver mail, which could mean even further delays.

As I asked above, could we please have some communication with the shipping team, the manager of the shipping team to discuss issues we have and perhaps open the lines of communications to help sellers with shipping issues during this stressful time.

Please do not suggest I use another carrier.  It's not cost effective and it appears that ebay is the one that is stressing me out about this even more than my customers.  The threat of losing my accounts over INR cases is real due to issues out of my control.

Thank you

Hi @golfingaddict  - I'm happy to report what you're seeing to the appropriate teams. I'll reach out to you directly for specifics so I can pass it along. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 46 of 93
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@wooden_flower wrote:

Hi there,

Here's a puzzler for you - if there is a listing that you think violates law, and it has been reported multiple times by more than 1 person, what assumption should be made?  That is hasn't been reviewed? Or that is has been reviewed and found to not violate federal law? Someone suggesting reporting it to the responsible federal agency, but I'm not sure that's the right answer either.

thanks!

Sue

@wooden_flower I'm happy to review the listing in question! I'll email you after the chat to get more info 🙂

OK, thanks!

Sue

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 47 of 93
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

I keep seeing "Access To Website Blocked' when I first log in each morning on several pages I routinely use. I can open Advanced Search without hassle, and go from there to the other pages. (Then I have to log in and play the Captcha game, but the pages do open.) What gives?

That's another glitch I forgot to mention. I only get it on the Community Page however not any of my regular accts. And that captcha thing drives me nuts-a 2 year old could figure that one out-no offense but not much security imo.  

Message 48 of 93
latest reply

New Community error-

When you copy/paste content from an eBay policy page you get a red error that HTML has to be corrected- that's not new.

What is new is that when the HTML is auto-corrected by the system and you try to post the corrected version you're now blocked from doing so for an hour unless you change the content of your post.

error.jpg

I appreciate the attempt at eliminating SPAM, but it's having an annoying side effect.

Also- my post never did go through as I kept getting the HTML error so I had to manually type out the text from the eBay page I was quoting.

Edit: Reply to your comment can be found here

Message 49 of 93
latest reply

I've been selling for since 2005!  I have not received any promotions!  I didn't receive the 200 free the last 3 months and didn't get the newest one.  I have 100% positive feedback.   I don't understand why I'm not getting ANY promotions what so ever!  Please Help!

Note: The answer to this question can be found here

I've reached that age where my brain goes from "you probably shouldn't say that." To "what the heck, let's see what happens. "
Message 50 of 93
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gwzcomps wrote:

Also I would love to know on why eBay keeps insisting on sabotaging sellers on the delivery estimates.  Your systems completely disregard our handling times we have set.  On top of that you are guaranteeing delivery !!!AT OUR EXPENSE!!! when many of these guaranteed delivery times are shorter than my handling period.  This childish game is ridiculous and tiresome.

Hi @gwzcomps, our delivery estimates are based on the shipping service, location of both buyer and seller, and historical data. That being said, if you are seeing instances where the estimated delivery date is within your stated handling time, be sure to report the details for review. 

As for the eBay Guarantee, I'm not quite sure what you are referencing when you say it is at your expense? When we are confident a shipment will arrive within 4 business days and the listing meets all the eligibility requirements, we will mark the listing with eBay Guaranteed delivery - this does not place any additional responsibility or liability on the seller, and actually provides additional protections as long as the seller ships within their handling time. Even without this guarantee, a seller would still be responsible for late delivery, they just wouldn't be eligible for additional protections within this program, which you can read about in more detail here.

Message 51 of 93
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

I keep seeing "Access To Website Blocked' when I first log in each morning on several pages I routinely use. I can open Advanced Search without hassle, and go from there to the other pages. (Then I have to log in and play the Captcha game, but the pages do open.) What gives?

I don't know if this will help, but a similar thing happened to me right after they new Bell on the community was installed.  We were advised to clear our cache and cookies if the new bell was not appearing.  I did that and after that things went a bit crazy and scary for awhile.  

I kept running into that message anytime I tried to go anywhere on the community forum.  No matter what I did, I just couldn't get anywhere on the forums.  

So I restarted my computer, just in case that was anything that would help.  I did not.  So after trying several times to close the browser and then try the forums again, nothing was working.  So I shut down my computer completely, let it rest for a couple minutes and then fired it back up.

After that all was well.  Everything resolved.

I use a desktop with Windows 10 & Chrome.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 52 of 93
latest reply

I keep getting spammed on some of my accounts that I need to register for Managed payments.  I get a notice every time I log in.  Yet, I already registered and I think I am just waiting to get moved into MP.

And yet on this account I get a message when I log in that I have to fix my item specifics.  I fixed everything that I could find and don't see anything else.  I've check the categories.  

I honestly feel like ebay is changing the item specifics and when they change them, it removes the ones I have rather than populates them in ebay's new IS.  It's almost like it is a no win situation for sellers.  When the big update comes, are the IS going to be removed again?  It tells me to fix them now, but if you update IS in the coming months, won't they just get erased anyway?

And, just because I can.  I will mentioned that those "pages" that pop up when a user logs in is annoying to me.  You can tell me once, ok, maybe three times, but 2-3 times a day for weeks at a time seems excessive.  Just saying.....

-------

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here. 

Message 53 of 93
latest reply

I've seen confusion about this before, so I'll ask that you confirm for those who might not be aware....when ebay says free auctions are confined to "fashion and collectibles", those two words actually represent 12 or 14 actual categories, I don't remember the exact number. It would be nice if you would spell them out so people know, for example, that it includes the Pottery/Glass category....

Message 54 of 93
latest reply

@shellhut wrote:

I've been selling for since 2005!  I have not received any promotions!  I didn't receive the 200 free the last 3 months and didn't get the newest one.  I have 100% positive feedback.   I don't understand why I'm not getting ANY promotions what so ever!  Please Help!

Have you checked your Site Preferences to make sure you don't have these types of emails blocked?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 55 of 93
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@windhaze wrote:

Good day Tyler.

Can you please give an update on what is going on with the Boards here? It started Sunday slowly and totally went bonkers yesterday. Read it was an update? If so can it be rolled back? It's a mess esp in the Soap Box. 

Posts I did yesterday disappeared, as did kudos I gave on the 14th as well-bad enough I had to hit the button several times in order to even get them to stick. The bell icon now pulls up a drop down menu that I have to hit several times as well to get that to pop up-the list goes on and on...very frustrating. 

It's not me, several other members are having the same or similar issues too. I have totally cleared out my pc, scans are all clean, browser (Chrome) is fully updated-the problem is not on my end.

I also would like to know who is in charge of these Boards? Is it eBay or Kohrs? If eBay I would appreciate an email so I can relay my concern there (different issue).

Thank you.

Hi @windhaze, you can find more details about these issues here. Any issues you are seeing within the Community can be reported to us here on the boards.

Message 56 of 93
latest reply

@somanypostcards wrote:

Can eBay do away with charging a FVF on sales tax in Managed Payments?  I live in California, which considers eBay, the Marketplace Facilitator, the retailer of sales made in California.  I am considered a Marketplace Seller who makes a wholesale sale to eBay with no sales tax; then eBay makes the retail sale.  In Managed Payments the sales tax is never seen by me, as eBay collects it and remits it to the state of California.  Even the packing slip I enclose with sales does not show a sales tax, as it is N/A to a Marketplace Seller...

This response is accurate as of 7.15.20, but may become outdated. If you are reviewing this at a later date please consider reviewing the Help Pages or contacting CS for definitive information

Hi @somanypostcards  - I'm not able to address questions regarding managed payments fees directly. If you have been notified to register you are able to review the fee page that was communicated in your migration email. Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 57 of 93
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:

Also I would love to know on why eBay keeps insisting on sabotaging sellers on the delivery estimates.  Your systems completely disregard our handling times we have set.  On top of that you are guaranteeing delivery !!!AT OUR EXPENSE!!! when many of these guaranteed delivery times are shorter than my handling period.  This childish game is ridiculous and tiresome.

Hi @gwzcomps, our delivery estimates are based on the shipping service, location of both buyer and seller, and historical data. That being said, if you are seeing instances where the estimated delivery date is within your stated handling time, be sure to report the details for review. 

As for the eBay Guarantee, I'm not quite sure what you are referencing when you say it is at your expense? When we are confident a shipment will arrive within 4 business days and the listing meets all the eligibility requirements, we will mark the listing with eBay Guaranteed delivery - this does not place any additional responsibility or liability on the seller, and actually provides additional protections as long as the seller ships within their handling time. Even without this guarantee, a seller would still be responsible for late delivery, they just wouldn't be eligible for additional protections within this program, which you can read about in more detail here.

I have some examples in that one thread I tagged you on, but I can't find it at the moment.  My understanding of guaranteed delivery I am responsible for the round trip shipping costs on a return if the buyer doesn't get it on time.  Also I get a defect if the item isn't delivered in YOUR time window.  That is 100% unacceptable.  You need to respect our handling times or stop allowing us to specify them.  I don't want guaranteed delivery on my listings.  I also would rather not have to intentionally take longer to ship to force you guys to show more realistic shipping times.

Message 58 of 93
latest reply

Wait, OK, it's actually 13 categories. They are:

• Antiques
  • Art
  • Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
  • Coins & Paper Money
  • Collectibles
  • Dolls & Bears
  • Entertainment Memorabilia
  • Health & Beauty
  • Jewelry & Watches
  • Pottery & Glass
  • Sports Memorabilia, Fan Shop & Sports Cards
  • Stamps
  • Toys & Hobbies
Message 59 of 93
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@windhaze wrote:

Good day Tyler.

Can you please give an update on what is going on with the Boards here? It started Sunday slowly and totally went bonkers yesterday. Read it was an update? If so can it be rolled back? It's a mess esp in the Soap Box. 

Posts I did yesterday disappeared, as did kudos I gave on the 14th as well-bad enough I had to hit the button several times in order to even get them to stick. The bell icon now pulls up a drop down menu that I have to hit several times as well to get that to pop up-the list goes on and on...very frustrating. 

It's not me, several other members are having the same or similar issues too. I have totally cleared out my pc, scans are all clean, browser (Chrome) is fully updated-the problem is not on my end.

I also would like to know who is in charge of these Boards? Is it eBay or Kohrs? If eBay I would appreciate an email so I can relay my concern there (different issue).

Thank you.

Hi @windhaze, you can find more details about these issues hereAny issues you are seeing within the Community can be reported to us here on the boards.

Sorry Trinton I saw that yesterday-it was supposed to be fixed today-it's not and doesn't apply to any of the other issues I posted either.  ?

Message 60 of 93
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: