cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postage due on a package i already paid for

I sold a bracelet and paid for the USPS Priority Padded Envelope with full insurance and signature delivery totaling $18.65.  The buyer just informed me that the USPS made her pay $18.65 on postage due.  The buyer said they paid the postman cash and wants to know why she had to pay.  I told her the label was already paid for.  Never had a problem like this before.  I have proof of the payment for the label.  Is this some scam, or has anyone else had this happen?

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: postage due on a package i already paid for

Yes, label was on, attached, not compromised, and the postage amount was printed on the label as well.   The tracking shows it was delivered with no issues, or anything saying postage was due.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

I would write the buyer and prattle on about how I called my po and was told something is absolutely wrong as the label shows being paid for online and there shouldn’t have been any additional charges. Further more they were very curious as to the amount owed because for a flat rate envelope the amount due is way off. 

I would then say my po suggested I call the post master of my buyers po because either the carrier is lying to the recipient or something has gone wrong along the way. 

I would tell my buyer to hang onto the package and all the labeling as the PO will probably open an investigation into the matter and will want to see it all. 

I would then suggest they contact there PO to see if there is a mistake before a formal investigation is opened and to please let me know what they say.

Bet you never hear from them again. But if you do, go talk to your po and see if they can figure it out. But I wouldn’t go further with it until your buyer contacts you back as I am nearly 100% sure they are lying. 

block this person from buying from you again as well. 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 17 of 36
latest reply

I was wondering how the buyer knew the total was $18.65, but since it shows on label, then most likely a scam.

Message 18 of 36
latest reply

If it really did arrive postage due there would be proof

On another note that blurb you have about ALL SALES FINAL......100% not true. A buyer can always claim not as described and you will find out nothing is final

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

$325.00

Message 20 of 36
latest reply

look up the local post office and give them a call.  they should be able to verify

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

@carpgreg wrote:

Yes, label was on, attached, not compromised, and the postage amount was printed on the label as well.   The tracking shows it was delivered with no issues, or anything saying postage was due.

Yup, your buyer was trying to scam you. Make a new addition to your BBL. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 22 of 36
latest reply

What does the tracking number / delivery status show under the USPS website? Do not rely on Ebay shipping status. There can be several hour delay on actual delivery status. 

The buyer should only receive a C.O.D. notice in their mailbox that requires them to go to their local post office to pay and pick up. 

no USPS carrier is going to knock on someone's door requesting $$$

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

@carpgreg 

Some people love to get some money back, after buying some thing.  Like other people have pointed out, I believe that this buyer is trying to scam you.  

Message 24 of 36
latest reply

Sounds like a scam to me also.  I have had a few postage due items come to me over the years and every single one required me to go to the post office to pick them up and pay there.  I don't know of any postal carrier that would be allowed to collect cash.  If they did that, they would also have to carry cash for change which would make them a target for robberies.  

If the buyer said cash in the exact amount you paid, they are simply reading the amount on the label and are fishing for a refund for that amount.  Tell them to provide you a legitimate receipt and then make sure you let them know that you will be contacting the postal inspector for a potentially crooked carrier or for postal fraud.  If they are fishing for a scam refund, that will most likely scare them off.

Edited to add:  Make sure you add them to your BBL and report them to eBay.  If they have been doing this to other sellers, eBay will have the message trail to prove it.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

" they paid the postman cash"

I don't think so.  They need to show you the envelope with the PO demand for unpaid postage and their receipt from payment.  They can get one from their mail man if they 'forgot' to get one and can call the postmaster if the mailman hems and haws.  

Is there anything noted in the tracking?  

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

@carpgreg 

NEW or IN TRAINING Carrier?

MAY have THOUGHT the 'Postage Amount' on  Label was 'POSTAGE DUE'.

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

@genv wrote:

@carpgreg 

NEW or IN TRAINING Carrier?

MAY have THOUGHT the 'Postage Amount' on  Label was 'POSTAGE DUE'.

They never noticed nearly every parcel they delivered had "postage due"?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 28 of 36
latest reply

They might not be scamming you, I’d call the post office in her town. Carriers actually can take cash payments, I had a package come with postage due because the seller purchased postage for 1 oz when it was really like 12, the carrier said they could only take cash for it, and they don’t carry change so it had to be the exact amount. It was my trusted regular carrier. I also had a Media Mail package (a book) come pack to me with a postage due stamp even though it was definitely paid for and purchased through eBay’s system. The amount due was the full amount of shipping I had already paid. USPS definitely messes up sometimes. I’m likely to believe the buyer, if they were trying to scam you I think they would try for a lot more than just the $18 and change in shipping, especially considering the bracelet is worth over $300.

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

@carpgreg   Come on! It's obviously a scam. Tell them you need the receipt to show to eBay.

Message 30 of 36
latest reply