cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not on every listing, but some

note the "show more" and the lighter line at the bottom  (not enough coffee to figure out what to call it)

this is on a pc, not mobile........  What now? 

Screenshot (360).png

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

At first glance I'd say it's because that image is making the description 'too long' so it's trying to save some space. 

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

I see someone else posted about it also.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Why-is-eBay-hiding-descriptions-again/m-p/33606686#M2175631

and @rosszonebricks   you are right about the length of the listing.........lots of huge pictures......  other listings I saw like it, weren't nearly as lengthy...

but question for you........

On this listing of yours........note the "lighter" last line......did you do anything to cause that?  (I can't figure out how/why a seller would do it)........

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266098380657?hash=item3df4b30f71:g:I8MAAOSwo41jzrqS

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

@dhbookds  I don't see a lighter last line on that listing, or any of mine.  I also have a 32" monitor, so it could be a smaller screen size kicks in the 'Responsive' design changes, where pages display differently based on the screen size to try and make a better experience.   I.e. tablet vs phone vs small laptop screen vs desktop larger screen, etc.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

Should have done a screen shot, sorry........ my monitor is 18" long....anymore I don't know if that is small or not...lol

Screenshot (361).png

Message 5 of 37
latest reply

Interesting.  I'd say that it's just on the 'edge' for that responsive change, but not enough to kick in the 'show more' because that's the last line of the description so there is nothing to 'show more'.

Good to know though, maybe I'll go through and shorten my descriptions by one line. lol

Message 6 of 37
latest reply

@rosszonebricks wrote:

Interesting.  I'd say that it's just on the 'edge' for that responsive change, but not enough to kick in the 'show more' because that's the last line of the description so there is nothing to 'show more'.

Good to know though, maybe I'll go through and shorten my descriptions by one line. lol

Would be an interesting test.

I have no problem with the "show more"........altho I think the "style of it"  looks really dinky......every site I go to from Etsy to Walmart has "show more" in the description areas......

Don't like that lighter gray line tho.......looks "unimportant" to me.....which may not be true in many cases. 

I'm guessing it's a test........lol, but who knows?

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

Yep, that light colored line in my description threw me when I first saw it.  I thought, what the heck, since it was an important line about condition.   Definitely something I wouldn't want to minimize.  It's bad luck for depending on which line is the designated line to show more to come if you start clicking to find the rest of the description.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@dhbookds  I agree, it's probably a test of some sort. Not everyone is seeing the same thing when they look at the same listing. 

Maybe ebay is afraid a lengthy description might distract the buyer from the important stuff, like the gazillion Promoted Listings....

devon@ebay   Can you get us some information on this?

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@dhbookds  I agree, it's probably a test of some sort. Not everyone is seeing the same thing when they look at the same listing. 

Maybe ebay is afraid a lengthy description might distract the buyer from the important stuff, like the gazillion Promoted Listings....

devon@ebay   Can you get us some information on this?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques bingo! Gotta make more room on the page for all those ads.

I do believe it's a test at this point - currently I'm only seeing it in FireFox but not in Chrome.

Did no one at eBay learn *anything* from the previous times they attempted something like this when Wenig was in charge?  🙄

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  ebay spent a lot of time last year working on the Listing Form, I wouldn't be surprised if this year they spent a lot of time "improving" the way the listing page displays.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

When I look at this listing I don't see this, I see a group of photos one after the other, the way I would expect.  

I'll go out on a limb and say its because I'm using a real operating system Win 7, not the temporary Win 10/11/12 etc.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

@deltilogical That's what I'm seeing, and I'm not using the real O/S.....I am using Chrome, and not Firefox, if the browser makes a difference.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

It definitely appears to be based on size/length rather than a specific type of content, as I'm seeing it both in plain text descriptions and those that have custom design elements and/or images in the description.

I'm sure big name brands will be thrilled their listings now look like this:

reeboklisting.jpg

Message 14 of 37
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay 

kyle@ebay 

Maybe Devon is off today.......  Could one of y'all figure out if this is a test or permanent?  Obviously, considering the way the displays are showing (message 14 and 5), some sellers are going to want to change their descriptions........  especially that almost greyed out  line.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply