cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay suggesting Auctions should start at 99 Cents ...

This from the listing tool ... eBay is suggesting Sellers start Auctions at 99 cents ... not good advice.  I calculate Auction starting prices the same way I determine GTC pricing ... that way if one bid wins the Auction I make profit. 

Screenshot (3598).png

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Good advice. Sad thing is many newbies don't understand auctions, reserves etc.

The bottle of shampoo suggests 'wash, rinse and repeat'. 

This way, you use up twice the shampoo that you need to; forcing you to buy it twice as often.

Suggestions are just that. Suggestions. 

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

The only way that I believe that this works is either have something in really high demand or there are those who specialize in certain items and have a following who can make it work, otherwise it usually has a bad outcome. 

I can not count the number of auctions that I have won for $.99 usually from new sellers and usually never shipped. 

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

When I go to list an auction it says I can promote it for$5.99, not .99. **bleep**? That's why we will be closing our store in a month or so.  Sales are abysmal and views are extremely poor and now they want more money to show my items that I am already paying them to show. Absolutely pathetic

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Here's a screenshot of the exposure promotion. 

Screenshot_20220610-072656_eBay.jpg

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

I don't do auctions anymore but when I did them years ago I always started at .99 cents.  Prices always shot up like a rocket and worked very well for me.  I now only do auctions on very rare items that no one else is selling.  In those listings starting at 99 cents works very well.

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Good advice. Sad thing is many newbies don't understand auctions, reserves etc.

The bottle of shampoo suggests 'wash, rinse and repeat'. 

This way, you use up twice the shampoo that you need to; forcing you to buy it twice as often.

Suggestions are just that. Suggestions. 

@stainlessenginecovers   eBay's version of an "Auction" is more like a fixed time bidding opportunity ... and you are right, a lot of New Sellers get duped into starting valuable items at 99 cents only to lose their shirts when it does not bid up.  Then we see another thread where a Buyer won an item for 99 cents but the Seller cancelled and would not ship ... amazing.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 7 of 35
latest reply

Every seller should know what is his breakeven point. eBay, on the other hands, makes money when even when you loose. Many new sellers fall for this suggestion, thinking there may be a bidding war that will frantically escalate the price. It doesn't always work like that. 

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

I calculate Auction starting prices the same way I determine GTC pricing.

Maybe 99 cent is not a good idea and I would not recommend that low, but what you are doing is pretend auctions. If I can buy the same item from another seller at your BIN price I will hit the back button every time. You should really just skip auctions as that is what has driven away most buyers from auctions.

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

This from the listing tool ... eBay is suggesting Sellers start Auctions at 99 cents ... not good advice.

eBay's advice to sellers is based on what eBay thinks is good for eBay, not what is good for sellers.

When I bring my car to the dealership for my free oil changes, there is always $500-$1500 worth of other things they "suggest" I do.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

@bashort wrote:

I can not count the number of auctions that I have won for $.99 usually from new sellers and usually never shipped. 

And this is exactly what drives buyers away from the site.  Nobody wants to win an auction (no matter the ending price) and then have the seller not ship.   Why bother bidding on an auction if the seller isn't going to follow through?

Ebay needs to just stop with the stupid 99 cent start suggestion, and new sellers really need to learn how things work before they dive in head first.  Unfortunately I see neither happening any time soon.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

I do auctions at .01 with free shipping. It works for me. I get repeat buyers. I get an audience who look at my stuff. I get feedback. I do not want to be an Amazon store. Right now, Amazon, Target and Walmart are over stocked on stuff and having big sales. Buyers on eBay look at cost of item plus tax plus shipping and decide to just not "buy it now". I am looking to move stuff I have, not buy stuff from Amazon to sell on eBay.

Message 12 of 35
latest reply

"eBay's advice to sellers is based on what eBay thinks is good for eBay, not what is good for sellers."

Yep, ebay still gets their 30 cent transaction fee whether it sells for 99 cents or 99 dollars. I would guess most of these ebay "helpers" who are making these recommendations never sold much of anything.

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

eBay dont care if you make a buck as long as da buyer be happy:

They get a steal of a deal and tell folks about it see. Gets more buyers....

And you as a seller will not be around long if you are foolish enough to follow eBay's advice.

Of course new sellers figure out such; is not viable now days:  fast or they just wont be on eBay long for sure...

That goes for what CS reps tell folks as well......

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

I see these suggestions to start auctions at 99 cents -- all the time.  

I liken them to suggestions like, "You should eat more apples," or "You should vote for my friend." 

The best response is a polite nod, and moving along to do what you want to do.  

Message 15 of 35
latest reply