cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay suggesting Auctions should start at 99 Cents ...

This from the listing tool ... eBay is suggesting Sellers start Auctions at 99 cents ... not good advice.  I calculate Auction starting prices the same way I determine GTC pricing ... that way if one bid wins the Auction I make profit. 

Screenshot (3598).png

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: eBay suggesting Auctions should start at 99 Cents ...

Good grief. Is eBay actually still suggesting that? That was bad advice 20 years ago.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@pargran3 wrote:

Good grief. Is eBay actually still suggesting that? That was bad advice 20 years ago.

@pargran3   You saw the screen shot ... yes, they are still suggesting the 99 cent starting price on Auctions.   That is bad advice anytime on eBay style Auctions.  So if you create a listing with  the Auction format that shows the 99 cents starting price then change formats to Buy it now they change the amount in that little window and guess what?  IT IS ALWAYS SUBSTANTIALLY HIGHER ... yep ... so if they "think" they know what it should sell for then they should be giving Sellers prices other than the 99 cents ...

Regards,
Message 32 of 35
latest reply

It depends on what the goal is.  If the goal is to get action on as many auction listings as one can then starting at 99 cents is a good tactic.  In a debt-based economy, proftability isn't always needed.

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

I calculate Auction starting prices the same way I determine GTC pricing.

Maybe 99 cent is not a good idea and I would not recommend that low, but what you are doing is pretend auctions. If I can buy the same item from another seller at your BIN price I will hit the back button every time. You should really just skip auctions as that is what has driven away most buyers from auctions.

@coolections 

Noted and respect your opinion but disagree ... auctions, if priced right are no different then BINs ... my auction starting prices are the same price I would do on a BIN so one bid makes profit, more bids more profit.  It works out just fine.  If I compared profit margins on my BINs and Auctions the Auctions would win hands down because a % of them bid up higher then the listed price ...

Not everything on eBay would do well on the auction format but in some categories it is a far and away better approach to selling something then BIN ...

Regards,
Message 34 of 35
latest reply

Yea well eBay will suggest a lot of things that puts more money into their pockets. That doesn't mean it is a good one and generally it is a bad one. 

Message 35 of 35
latest reply