cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revising Listings Problem

Has anyone been having a problem revising listings today?  I keep getting a "This product cannot be listed in this category." error message and can't revise my book listings.  As far as I can tell the category number for Books > Fiction and Books > Nonfiction haven't changed.  I haven't tried any new listings yet today, so I don't know if that's affected.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Revising Listings Problem

My sales were good until I reached out to customer service for an issue and like before sales go dormant. It's like your gone from search. 0 views from listings that were listed that same day. Just wrong!
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Post that in Facebook eBay for business
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@shadyl8d wrote:
Post that in Facebook eBay for business

Right.  God forbid ebay looks on their own site for problems  .....

I would NEVER go to an inyourFacebook page,

I've run into this problem again today, and discovered a solution quite by accident. (The previous times I've encountered the problem, it eventually corrected itself.)

Because I wanted to bulk-relist a large number of books, I had to switch over to the "seller hub," since the ability to bulk-relist has disappeared from the previous version of the page. I don't know if the solution I'm about to describe works when not using the "seller hub."

Under "manage unsold listings," click on the little drop-down arrow that's between "sell similar" and the photo of the item. Then click "relist."

Once I clicked "relist" on one of the books that had suddenly developed a "category" issue, I discovered when the listing came up for editing that the screen has an entire section that the other listings (the ones that didn't have category problems) don't have. And there's a check mark in a box that says "Prefill this listing with eBay catalog info." Once I unchecked the box, the category problem went away. On a couple of the listings I had to add back in a description and a photo, but then they relisted just fine, complete with the category that was previously alleged to be unacceptable.

All of the listings that I had to perform this "surgery" on had been listed multiple times previously. Why eBay suddenly decides to "choke" on any given listing is still a mystery... but hopefully this solution (that I discovered by accident) will be helpful for those of you who are having the same issue. Best of luck!

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Adding on to the above... unchecking the box did not work on one item, and there was no place to change the category, so I tried the "search for another item" option, and copied and pasted in the exact same title as the original listing. This time, the suggested category was Dr. Who sci-fi collectibles (as opposed to fiction/literature), and since it's a Dr. Who book from the 1980s, I figured it could well be considered a collectible. After this category change, the relisting went through just fine. But again, I had to go through the "search for another item" hokey-pokey to get there. Hope this helps.

I should also note that unchecking the box means you lose the stock photo, if you were using it, and you'll have to come up with one of your own.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply