cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

Wow, This is ridiculous what it takes to sell an item on here anymore. I've been selling on here for many years and it's gotten to the point of being nearly impossible to sell anything unless you're willing to give it away.  When I see other sellers with multiple thousands of items listed and they're lucky if they sell two or three items in any given day I begin to think it may be time to move on. I try to remain optimistic, but it's absolutely not fun any more. 

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

@mikethaxton wrote:

Example - I was looking at indoor turkey fryers which most had free shipping and around 90 to 100 dollars which is what they run new ! but in the middle of them there was a used one from a seller who set the price of 40 dollars but with $ 1,000 shipping !

Buying a drone to handle the shipping, maybe?  LOLSmiley Very Happy

Message 46 of 68
latest reply

Re: Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

@pksellsstuff wrote:

So, Please share the real you so i can learn...I really do want to see the successes.

That would defeat the purpose of a posting id.  

IF that was for display, a posting id would not be used.Smiley Wink

Message 47 of 68
latest reply

The word "free" attracts buyers to listings like flies to ___(fill in the blank).   

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 48 of 68
latest reply

@packrat189 wrote:

I do sell from time to time, have lots of things to put on, but get peeved at all the fees between pp & ebay, then paying for the shipping material & then fees on shipping costs & another fee to buy shipping label, then the **bleep** from buys asking me to sell early at a lower then fair price, they just missed an auction for lower, & want me to honor the price of a non exsistant auction. I get like you where I feel if I gave things away with free shipping, they would ask for a rebate! now to be fair, Ive also seen alot of sellers who thought their stuff didnt stink & was polished gold plated, with way more than retail market prices.

The "fee" to buy a shipping label is called "postage", and your buyer should be paying that. There is no additional fee for printing a label on eBay or on PayPal.

Message 49 of 68
latest reply

You said it, when sellers post, even if they use a posting ID.... One  just donesnt

know.

A seller could have several active accounts, and be selling thousands daily, or, they could not have anything active at all.

We come here for information, mostly. (Although ebay can be awfully lonely, and it does offer a slight degree of companionship, not exactly like having work friends, but.... Something)

That is the unfortunate nature of the Internet. We could be "catfished" in a manner of speaking  at any time. (Not exactly correct use of the term but...)

Everything  here needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Everyone has different experiences. Many of us have different viewpoints. A Lot of us were crazy  about ebay. It's like being mistreated by a lover, in a way. We don't understand what happened what did we do wrong  and it is hurtful. Some seem to hang on to that ebay love for no apparent reason. We can glean bits of  a person's life, but we literally do not know each other at all. To us Thats the worst about selling  & buying on ebay. (Well, and a sort of laughable amount of $$for the work)

We tend to remember the bad experiences more than the good. (I have read it takes ten really good experiences to counteract the affects of one bad one, leaving us a Liitle ahead on ebay for the most part) But the bad experiences are what we hear of  here the most.

Yes, things have changed. They change all the time. The questions we seem to want the answered to are, "how or even can I adjust to these changes? "what can I do to make this (ebay) work? Am I doing something wrong? How is everyone else doing? And what are they doing? Should I try something else? Where? What?" We hate the cat and mouse information game with ebay. They have so much sales info that would be great to have....without wasting so much of our lives trying to figure things out.

Without a posting ID, one becomes vulnerable to Whatever is out there. But, also leaves a seller open to suggestions, (wanted or not) & assorted undesirable  events. So, to each their own choice.

But with a posting Id, one is more free to say.... Whatever, without information about themselves. (Not that the info or opinion is not useful)

As to not knowing about posting IDs, We have spoken to ebay sellers (yes we see the same people at the same places, all of us desperately chasing a dollar) who don't even know there is a community page, or a Spring and Fall update. Never mind knowing about posting IDs, or the "blues" or any thing else some of us follow . So, it makes sense that a long time successful seller may not know about posting IDs. Maybe those who are blissfully unaware of these things are having better sales, there is no indication that those who spend time on the boards have a better outcome. We would love to to see those statistics.

Very few actually ever come to the boards. How many? Is there some sort of common trait to those that do? What % of sellers ever post? How many just squeeze out a tiny bit of cash in a year? How many make tens of thousands? How many quit every year? Ebay has that info, not us.

And thanks from. To all who share however they do so.

We at this end are wandering in the dark.

And tired, frustrated.

Message 50 of 68
latest reply

Jeans listed for like $1,000 and then you have some listed at $20 with $750 shipping. I don't know what to make of this  Smiley LOL mommadukestreasures -  unquote ----

There's so many better things I could do with a 1000 dollars . Tulips 

Message 51 of 68
latest reply

@lindyslucky

Very well written post.

It's that friendhsip aspect of the boards that eBay in it's current incarnation (since JT was here) has done it's best to squash into the mud. They expect want and even encourage us to be "social" on other media (hopefully drawing buyers to the site) yet slap every attempt at it here into the middle of next week. Here we have to be all "business". SMH

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 52 of 68
latest reply

Tell me about it. I guess I was wrong about Ebay being the best place to sell things it more better yo buy things here I bought many things here for at least 6 years.  but selling is a whole new ball game.

Message 53 of 68
latest reply

Hello everyone,

This thread is getting a bit heated.  Please remember that it’s fine to disagree with others, but discussion should always remain courteous and respectful.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 54 of 68
latest reply

Depends on the category.  Mine isn't over-saturated.  

Message 55 of 68
latest reply

Seller's are a dime a dozen!

That's good for such an economy.  Not bad. 

Message 56 of 68
latest reply

It makes it very hard to want to volunteer time here to help others when the people we try to help are only posting to get agreement instead of actually listening to what might be wrong.

You're assuming people want your help, quite simply.  I find the boards to be generally very unhelpful besides news/updates.   Between snarky posters, misinformation on a massive scale, and people who attack you en masse if you ask a question/have a comment (oh and, why is it people use posting IDs?), there isn't much of a place.  

Message 57 of 68
latest reply

@michael_atw wrote:

It makes it very hard to want to volunteer time here to help others when the people we try to help are only posting to get agreement instead of actually listening to what might be wrong.

You're assuming people want your help, quite simply.  I find the boards to be generally very unhelpful besides news/updates.   Between snarky posters, misinformation on a massive scale, and people who attack you en masse if you ask a question/have a comment (oh and, why is it people use posting IDs?), there isn't much of a place.  

What's ironic is that when frequent (and knowledgeable) posters try to correct patently false info, they're accused of being bullies, snarky, etc. Yes, the boards have become less helpful, because people can post whatever misinformation, speculation, and outright falsehoods they want to, with no consequences.

Message 58 of 68
latest reply

Do you wonder if that's a seller who does not realize that his FVF will be 10% of the amount paid to him by the buyer, no matter how it's broken down? 

Message 59 of 68
latest reply

Then we will have even less buyers. 

Message 60 of 68
latest reply