cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

Wow, This is ridiculous what it takes to sell an item on here anymore. I've been selling on here for many years and it's gotten to the point of being nearly impossible to sell anything unless you're willing to give it away.  When I see other sellers with multiple thousands of items listed and they're lucky if they sell two or three items in any given day I begin to think it may be time to move on. I try to remain optimistic, but it's absolutely not fun any more. 

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

there is a "Fee" to buy the shipping - just seen it in my invoice

Message 61 of 68
latest reply

Re: Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

I looked at my last invoice, there was a fee (on top of the shipping costs)

Message 62 of 68
latest reply

What's ironic is that when frequent (and knowledgeable) posters try to correct patently false info, they're accused of being bullies, snarky, etc.

If someone comes into a thread and is condescending towards the original poster, that is snark, bullying, etc.  It's funny how 'trolling' is a word used now to describe someone unwanted - rather than the actual definition of trolling:  Someone who derails a thread.  For example, it used to be normal to ask a question and then get a half-dozen responses attacking someone's feedback for no reason.  That's the actual reason for posting IDs... not the aforementioned, "someone might damage my account". 

That sort of conduct has declined but there is still a hilarious amount of speculative judgment that comes along blind on nearly every thread.  

Message 63 of 68
latest reply

@packrat189 wrote:

there is a "Fee" to buy the shipping - just seen it in my invoice

What is the description of the fee?

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the FVF on Shipping, which applies whether you buy postage or not.

Message 64 of 68
latest reply

Ebay sure is throttling alot this month! Just wish they would open the search engines and I don't mean in just some small town in Iowa or Alaska, so us sellers can sell something! And those of you in denial,I know your really Ebay employee's posing as posters! lol

Message 65 of 68
latest reply

Search for each one of your listings and compare to others.  Is it in as good a condition as the others? How is the price of yours compared to others - too high? About right?  Are there dozens of other items just like it not selling either? Is each item in the right category? Is it the right season? 

I did this very thing last weekend and was horrified that some of my items that handnt sold forever were in the WRONG category (a bracelet in the jeans category).  There were several necklaces EXACTLY like mine for HALF the price.  One perfume bottle I had was the same price as one that had a top missing and a crack - so maybe I should up my price.  Sometimes better pictures help, somethings work better at fixed price with best offer, some at auction.  Shake things up a bit.

Message 66 of 68
latest reply

@pksellsstuff wrote:

I have several sellers on my watch list and have been viewing their sales vs number of items listed and it's just sad that you have to have thousands of items listed to sell a couple dozen items in a week. That's just not success in my book.  Also, I find it very strange that sales all changed just in the past two months or so, prior to that sales were adequate for the number of items I had listed. It seems to me that something has changed in the past two months. Just trying to figure out what has changed and how I can succeed inspite of those changes.

Actually it makes perfect sense.  The more you throw out there, the more lookers you get.  I sell jewelry but sometimes folks come to see the jewelry then buy some clothes. There is always a downturn after Easter - folks are out and about and not sitting on their computers as much.  Try offering more seasonal items - summer clothes, swimsuits, boating and picknick gear, shorts and t-shirts, exercise gear, etc. - that YOU would be out shopping for right now.

Message 67 of 68
latest reply

@sodelight wrote:

@pksellsstuff wrote:

I just went in and looked at one of my items that I have listed for $24.99 w shipping based on location (basically about $8 - 10) mine has not sold, but someone sold the identical item for $54.99 and free shipping yesterday....That's completely insane and I see that nonsense daily...very frustrating

This happens because  some buyers filter their search by Free Shipping.  This would mean they never saw your item, or perhaps it didn't show up because ebay likes to show buyers only certain items.

The Free Shipping filter is the reason I use Free shipping on most of my items.

Maybe because I sell and know $10 with $5 shipping is the same as $15 with free so I dont sort that way.  I look at lowest price total or if I want it SOON best offer or ending soonest.  I only buy North America (US and Canada).

Message 68 of 68
latest reply