cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

Wow, This is ridiculous what it takes to sell an item on here anymore. I've been selling on here for many years and it's gotten to the point of being nearly impossible to sell anything unless you're willing to give it away.  When I see other sellers with multiple thousands of items listed and they're lucky if they sell two or three items in any given day I begin to think it may be time to move on. I try to remain optimistic, but it's absolutely not fun any more. 

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

@pksellsstuff wrote:

Wow, This is ridiculous what it takes to sell an item on here anymore. I've been selling on here for many years and it's gotten to the point of being nearly impossible to sell anything unless you're willing to give it away.  When I see other sellers with multiple thousands of items listed and they're lucky if they sell two or three items in any given day I begin to think it may be time to move on. I try to remain optimistic, but it's absolutely not fun any more. 

I think it may be what you are selling and not your pricing.  I went through some of your listings and was really surprised by the pricing.  Specifically the Jager cooler, and the KMart fan.  I thought "Why would anyone pay that much for those items", but after checking other sellers listings, you are in line with your competitors price wise.  The only other logical explantion is a lack of buyers looking for those items, and to many sellers with those items.  You obviously know what you are doing, so the best piece of advise I would have is to offer returns, and make sure you are the lowest price compared to other sellers. 

You aren't the only one that has come to the boards recently with complaints of slow business, and the one thing I have personally noticed is similar inventory between those sellers.  It's always older collectables.  I think we'll see more of this because the newer generation, doesn't really care about collectables, and the older generations that do, are getting older every day.  My suggestion for that issue is to be pickier about what you are buying for inventory.  What sold well last year, doesn't neccesarily sell well this year.  

As the saying goes...  When selling, keep posting.  When not selling... keep posting.

Message 31 of 68
latest reply

@audiesnicnacs wrote:

It's called throttling and Ebay allows on average 1 or 2 sales per day! I know people who list thousands of items or hundreds ,some have many Ebay accounts,some 1 ,in all they all make about 2 sales a day with a rare occassion of 3 or 4. If you google Ebay throttling how to beat cassini ,you can read and understand what's going on!

LOL

Note-- I recently read that Ebay makes 70 % of it's money from up front fee's.

I recently read that the Earth is only 5,000 years old. I'd ask for a link to where you found that bogus info, but I have no doubt I'd be wasting my time.

Message 32 of 68
latest reply

Two of the identical same fans sold recently...the most recent for $50 and the other for $102.50...they are selling for a higher price because they are older fans that have better American made motors and steel blades.  Those offered for $20 are china made and have a plastic blades. Not the same comparison. When comparing you have to compare identical items, not similar.

Message 33 of 68
latest reply

@pksellsstuff wrote:

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but you have  43 FB and have zero current listings, and zero sold listings. Thanks for the advice I'm sure my 15 years of buying and selling is superceeded by your vast eBay experience.

I always find it funny when someone comes here whining because sales are slow and then attack the person who gives them advice on what might possibly be wrong. It makes it very hard to want to volunteer time here to help others when the people we try to help are only posting to get agreement instead of actually listening to what might be wrong.

Good luck, OP.

Message 34 of 68
latest reply

@ripcityresell wrote:

@pksellsstuff wrote:

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but you have  43 FB and have zero current listings, and zero sold listings. Thanks for the advice I'm sure my 15 years of buying and selling is superceeded by your vast eBay experience.

I always find it funny when someone comes here whining because sales are slow and then attack the person who gives them advice on what might possibly be wrong. It makes it very hard to want to volunteer time here to help others when the people we try to help are only posting to get agreement instead of actually listening to what might be wrong.

Good luck, OP.

For me, it just makes it hard to take an OP seriously. I know there will be others who will at least consider the suggestions they get.

Message 35 of 68
latest reply

Have we ever seen an iphone seller with a good price come here because their stuff isn't selling?

you're right. It's always the miscellaneous sellers that have the issues.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 36 of 68
latest reply

Nope.  Not Good Enough!  You need to get better pictures and write a better description....and give $50 per item sold to a charity of your choice.

lol

Message 37 of 68
latest reply

@namtrag1 wrote:

Nope.  Not Good Enough!  You need to get better pictures and write a better description....and give $50 per item sold to a charity of your choice.

lol

LOL - Birds of a feather and all that...

Message 38 of 68
latest reply

Actually, no, you would not have sold anything.  You would have given away something though.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 39 of 68
latest reply

Wow, This is ridiculous what it takes to sell an item on here anymore. op - unquote -------------------

It takes work and a lot more  patience than it used to to sell on e bay  anymore . I know many sellers are having  a dry spell  lately   even months long . My own  sales were down 90 % or more from last year  at this time without any logic behind it.Finally I made 4 sales  since last Sat  but one of them is a no show  for payment  so far . I had lowered my prices on just about everything  and added more listings so I will  give those things the credit for the new sales. Better to get something than nothing especially when sales have been so bad . Tulips 

Message 40 of 68
latest reply

I do sell from time to time, have lots of things to put on, but get peeved at all the fees between pp & ebay, then paying for the shipping material & then fees on shipping costs & another fee to buy shipping label, then the **bleep** from buys asking me to sell early at a lower then fair price, they just missed an auction for lower, & want me to honor the price of a non exsistant auction. I get like you where I feel if I gave things away with free shipping, they would ask for a rebate! now to be fair, Ive also seen alot of sellers who thought their stuff didnt stink & was polished gold plated, with way more than retail market prices.

Message 41 of 68
latest reply

@pksellsstuff wrote:

You can't see my 40,000+ feedback when I use this ID because I prefer to keep it positive by protecting it from snarky commenters who might just get carried away with their ire and try to affect it negatively.

Message 42 of 68
latest reply

There's no "fee' to print a label fwiw

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 43 of 68
latest reply

@pksellsstuff wrote:

It's called a posting id.  Many use them.  Judging someone by that is irrelevant.  They could have been on since Ebay began and have more feedback than you.

You just don't know.

Message 44 of 68
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@pksellsstuff wrote:

If I had a sell-through rate as low as you claim yours is, I wouldn’t brag about my 15 years here. I’d consider all the advice that came my way.

But I’m a (0), So you probably don’t want to hear that.

Yes, you've been told THAT before...that you are new.  

As if.  SMH.

Message 45 of 68
latest reply