cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

Wow, This is ridiculous what it takes to sell an item on here anymore. I've been selling on here for many years and it's gotten to the point of being nearly impossible to sell anything unless you're willing to give it away.  When I see other sellers with multiple thousands of items listed and they're lucky if they sell two or three items in any given day I begin to think it may be time to move on. I try to remain optimistic, but it's absolutely not fun any more. 

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Maybe if I sell my stuff for free and provide free shipping I might actually sell something

Yup! Nooooow you're gettin the idea 😉

Message 2 of 68
latest reply

Rushes to check your listings.

Message 3 of 68
latest reply

Ok while your stuff is overpriced by quite a bit, it might be wiser to just check other sellers' prices on EBay and adjust yours accordingly.

Message 4 of 68
latest reply

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but you have  43 FB and have zero current listings, and zero sold listings. Thanks for the advice I'm sure my 15 years of buying and selling is superceeded by your vast eBay experience.

Message 5 of 68
latest reply

@pksellsstuff wrote:

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be rude, but you have  43 FB and have zero current listings, and zero sold listings. Thanks for the advice I'm sure my 15 years of buying and selling is superceeded by your vast eBay experience.

Many posters here use IDs to post with separate from their selling account.

As to your post, I'll add that you now need to also offer free returns to complete the trifecta.

Message 6 of 68
latest reply

I have several sellers on my watch list and have been viewing their sales vs number of items listed and it's just sad that you have to have thousands of items listed to sell a couple dozen items in a week. That's just not success in my book.  Also, I find it very strange that sales all changed just in the past two months or so, prior to that sales were adequate for the number of items I had listed. It seems to me that something has changed in the past two months. Just trying to figure out what has changed and how I can succeed inspite of those changes.

Message 7 of 68
latest reply

LOL,  I just got your trifecta comment...sometimes I'm a little slow

Message 8 of 68
latest reply

We hear you! Don't know what is going on, but you are right.

Absolutely not fun any more.

Wondering if a bit of realism may be better than optimism.

Message 9 of 68
latest reply

Maybe Ebay needs to set up a Prime like Amazon ! Its clear that some sellers are jacking up shipping charges to pocket some of the money !

Message 10 of 68
latest reply

@pksellsstuff wrote:

Wow, This is ridiculous what it takes to sell an item on here anymore. I've been selling on here for many years and it's gotten to the point of being nearly impossible to sell anything unless you're willing to give it away.  When I see other sellers with multiple thousands of items listed and they're lucky if they sell two or three items in any given day I begin to think it may be time to move on. I try to remain optimistic, but it's absolutely not fun any more. 

What I've bolded above is precisely why it's become extremely difficult to sell here. Way too many sellers with thousands of listings = way too much stuff to wade through and way too much competition! Some seller's have hundreds of thousands of listings, it's crazy!

These sellers have become their own problem, they're the ones who created the glut of listings. They think posting thousands of items will result in more sales, it often doesn't!

It stopped being fun here about a dozen years ago. Seller's are a dime a dozen!

Message 11 of 68
latest reply

I just went in and looked at one of my items that I have listed for $24.99 w shipping based on location (basically about $8 - 10) mine has not sold, but someone sold the identical item for $54.99 and free shipping yesterday....That's completely insane and I see that nonsense daily...very frustrating

Message 12 of 68
latest reply

@mikethaxton wrote:

Maybe Ebay needs to set up a Prime like Amazon ! Its clear that some sellers are jacking up shipping charges to pocket some of the money !

NOT a good idea, ebay would then be able to decide how much of that ebay prime money to reimburse the sellers, they got their hands too far  in a seller's business as IT is now. 

Message 13 of 68
latest reply

Sad...Very Sad but true!!!

Message 14 of 68
latest reply

@pksellsstuff wrote:

I just went in and looked at one of my items that I have listed for $24.99 w shipping based on location (basically about $8 - 10) mine has not sold, but someone sold the identical item for $54.99 and free shipping yesterday....That's completely insane and I see that nonsense daily...very frustrating

This happens because  some buyers filter their search by Free Shipping.  This would mean they never saw your item, or perhaps it didn't show up because ebay likes to show buyers only certain items.

The Free Shipping filter is the reason I use Free shipping on most of my items.

Message 15 of 68
latest reply