cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone at all had a Bump in Sales or Happy since the Implementation of GTC?

Just a quick question for everyone out there.   Has anyone had an increase of Sales since the Implementation of GTC?   If you have seen a decrease please mention it here.

Cheers everyone!

Message 1 of 289
latest reply
288 REPLIES 288

Re: Has anyone at all had a Bump in Sales or Happy since the Implementation of GTC?

Not sure what the problem is but all our non motors categories such as media/patterns etc.  items came to a near halt about a week ago.

Generally sell 2 a day bare minimum. Now in 8 days sold 2 items, 1 was 8 days ago, and 1 was 4 days ago.  THIS IS BAD!!

I have emphasized my stand against GTC, if this is the cause I am against it more than ever!

Message 196 of 289
latest reply

Re: Has anyone at all had a Bump in Sales or Happy since the Implementation of GTC?

ALGORITHM, YES! That’s why you will have a flood of orders and then dries up for in some cases a long time. I call it eBay jail!  I finally caved after a year of sitting on the same products and these extra fees IF I am lucky enough to sell something in some cases for me they have been 25% and up.

After a year of waiting to sell many competitive products that sell well for MANY OTHER SELLERS here on eBay, I started listing these products elsewhere and NOW they are falling off the shelves. 

My concerns about the GTC is watching your invoices to be sure your listing didn’t pick up a second category because it has happened to me. THEN to be sure they do not relist things already sold. I think the GTC is okay, but monitor it. 

Hopefully they spend some time making all sellers available with their products as they have spent to work out how to get more money out of us!

Message 197 of 289
latest reply

SALES HAVE GONE DOWN SINCE E BAY HAS MADE A LOT OF CHANGES,ALSO INCREASE BY POST OFFICE ON SHIPPING RATES WHILE AT THE SAME TIME LOWERED WEIGHT LIMIT TO 13 OUNCES ON GENERAL SHIPPING HAS HIRT MY SALES,DON'T KNOW THAT I WILL KEEP SELLING 

Message 198 of 289
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

@pici.newyork wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

What part of it is deceptive? Did you NOT know you had to pay fees to list, FVF, etc?

Let's be real here.  Using a phrase such as "Good 'Til Cancelled" is  deceptive in nature for any new eBayer or for the average user who sells personal items every now and then.  I bet it has even fooled people who even sell for a living.

It's only until you read the fine print below it that you notice there is a fee everytime it renews automaticaly after 30 days. 

That should just change their name to FeeBay. Really. 

I'm sorry it was hard for you to discover but I (and many many others) learned this YEARS ago.  I often do multivariation listings that I leave to run until the items are sold.  Have since the beginning.  It wasn't a secret and hasn't changed.  I also reiterate that this is how listings are handled on nearly EVERY OTHER SITE OUT THERE.  You don't like it HERE?  You will just LOVE the 25% FVF and EXPENSIVE flat rate shipping imposed by other sites.  And Whoo-hoo! You DONT GET PAID until the item is delivered and the buyer rates you!

I never said I wasn't aware of the GTC fee.  I said it's deceptive in nature which I think you know what I am talking about, but choose to patronize. 

Ebay was hot back in the day, but fact is it's just not great anymore.  And that is because they actually have legit competition now. 

People may pay 33% in fees for AMZ FBA, but they are banking huge doing so.  I have no issues with Mercari as well. The best thing about that platform is it's simplicity and they have plenty of traffic. 

Best thing to do for anyone selling online is to use Shopify or Woocommerce and drive traffic via social and paid ads. Or jump on the AMZ bandwagon, because FeeBay is fading away slowly, but surely. 

Message 199 of 289
latest reply

@pici.newyork wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

@pici.newyork wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

What part of it is deceptive? Did you NOT know you had to pay fees to list, FVF, etc?

Let's be real here.  Using a phrase such as "Good 'Til Cancelled" is  deceptive in nature for any new eBayer or for the average user who sells personal items every now and then.  I bet it has even fooled people who even sell for a living.

It's only until you read the fine print below it that you notice there is a fee everytime it renews automaticaly after 30 days. 

That should just change their name to FeeBay. Really. 

I'm sorry it was hard for you to discover but I (and many many others) learned this YEARS ago.  I often do multivariation listings that I leave to run until the items are sold.  Have since the beginning.  It wasn't a secret and hasn't changed.  I also reiterate that this is how listings are handled on nearly EVERY OTHER SITE OUT THERE.  You don't like it HERE?  You will just LOVE the 25% FVF and EXPENSIVE flat rate shipping imposed by other sites.  And Whoo-hoo! You DONT GET PAID until the item is delivered and the buyer rates you!

I never said I wasn't aware of the GTC fee.  I said it's deceptive in nature which I think you know what I am talking about, but choose to patronize. 

Ebay was hot back in the day, but fact is it's just not great anymore.  And that is because they actually have legit competition now. 

People may pay 33% in fees for AMZ FBA, but they are banking huge doing so.  I have no issues with Mercari as well. The best thing about that platform is it's simplicity and they have plenty of traffic. 

Best thing to do for anyone selling online is to use Shopify or Woocommerce and drive traffic via social and paid ads. Or jump on the AMZ bandwagon, because FeeBay is fading away slowly, but surely. 

What makes it deceptive?  The policy on GTCs explains how they work.  The word "deceptive" denotes something is being hidden from you and others.  What do you feel Ebay is hiding from you regarding this listing format?  I'm just trying to understand why you have chosen to call it deceptive.

I think it is great that you have other sites that work well for you.  Unfortunately that won't hold true for others.  It is a mixed bag.  Most of the sellers on Ebay that are not liking GTC listings are not the same size of seller that could use FBA on Amazon.  The other sites you talk about may be fantastic for you, but that does not mean that every seller here that has issues with GTC will be able to do the same.  Most are way to small to be able to take advantage of paying for advertising and higher fees while still making a profit on what they sell.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 200 of 289
latest reply

April vs May 2018 Sales up 50.4% in May
April vs May 2019 Sale down 60.5% in May!!

GTC is killing me as well with May sales 39.5% of what April sales were. I had several items promoted. When I checked on them at the end of May, they were far down the listing page with many non-promoted items above them. I ended all my promotions. I've tried all kinds of promotions through the Mark Down manager. I just started using the message watchers tool.

The search tools are messed up. They might work one moment, but not the next. The search in sold items has never worked correctly and seems to be worse. It shows things that haven't sold as sold even if you un-check completed. Very little confidence in results returned. I use sales on items to estimate how much I can pay for a like item. With lack of income, I've had to stop shopping for replacement inventory.

At least my sales on another site are picking up slightly, but not enough to make up the difference yet. Thinking of selling off inventory finding something else to do.

Ebay, please hear the voices: You are killing your sellers and shooting yourself in the foot while your at it.
Message 201 of 289
latest reply

Sales have gone up since I started doing more auctions. And many of those auction sales are adding on FP or BO items before paying so sales there too.  I really need to list more though.  Just too busy with other things - I can barely keep up with shipping this time of year with all the trips and events going on.

Message 202 of 289
latest reply

My sales are, accordingly to eBay, down 59% from a year ago. More recently the decline has been very dramatic. I am thinking in terms of exit strategies, or at least reduction strategies. Sell as many eBay items as I can off eBay and cancel those listings. If I am still losing money on subscription fees, it is time to get out entirely. I have been an eBayer for 12 years.

EBay seems suicidal, and in denial about what they are doing.  I certainly wouldn't want eBay stock just now. It may be worthless in a few months.

Message 203 of 289
latest reply

No, and I dislike this policy.
Message 204 of 289
latest reply

I agree completely. When will Ebay cancel this policy?
Message 205 of 289
latest reply

@1962w0tt wrote:
I agree completely. When will Ebay cancel this policy?

I know there are many sellers that are hoping Ebay will change this policy.  But Ebay has repeatedly said they won't.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 206 of 289
latest reply

I am not happy at all with the automatic GTC listings. I sell one-of-a-kind items so it is no help to me. Also, with my premium store, I get 1000 BIN listings. When I get towards the end of the month and I run out of my available alloted listings, I pick and choose what I want to go on or I even wait until the first of the month for my allotment to start over. NOW, eBay just relists them and of course charges you over your alotment. In order to cancel, you have to wait until item is close to ending and then cancel OR cancel after they 've already charged you for the next month. 10-15 cents a listing doesn't sound like much but when it is 500 items, it adds up! And, because they don't give you an option to cancel BEFORE it relists, it is a scam for them to charge more fees. I think buyers like to see the ending date and quite often wait until last minute to buy it. I have seen my fees go up by at least $200 more a month because of the GTC change. Not happy!!! Please give us the option, as it was,  of choosing 30 day or GTC!

Message 207 of 289
latest reply

If you always used GTC and your sales are up what the heck did they do to the rest of us who did not use GTC?
Message 208 of 289
latest reply

I personally think if anyone is concerned about sales, I would hang in there. Sellers are moving out like crazy so your sales should get a lot better. The fees are crazy. Think how much you need to bump up your prices. For an example, I sold a $35.99 item a couple of months ago. It cost me $7.00+ just in seller fees and another $7.00+ to ship the product. So at best, that’s $14.00. I had a grand total after I paid for the item, my profit was $7.99 at best.  

I honestly pray that eBay improves and recovers from all their mistakes this past couple of years. Wenig has to pull it together. Why did he build a bar? (Search it)  

It is my understanding he did. Google Wenig’s 2019 first quarter report. That will tell you everything you need to know. While sales were down, he made millions off of promoted listings and PROUDLY BRAGGED ABOUT IT!

My “own” personal opinion is he has the algorithm set up to sell the highest priced products mostly.

I feel really sorry for the stores that are on a one year contract and can’t get out or just losing money hand over fist. It would seem since eBay has made outrageous demands on fees that a seller should be able to fold without paying out a year contract for the store. Since the agreements have changed so much, then sellers should have a choice to accept or deny the new seller agreement and cancel store without additional fees.

EBay used to have it together, but it’s been my experience that you have to roll with the punches and when you feel beat up, then you know what to do. 

In my opinion, the created promoted listings is the dirtiest deal Wenig could have done to his sellers. I have some cheap little items left, but I pulled out and I’m winging it.

To continue to rob his sellers without plans on improving his algorithm and creating a much better place for buyers, it’s going to go down the tubes in my opinion.

Buyers are aggravated without being able to easily pay for their products because they are being turned away from reaching out to pay via PayPal, find what they are looking for, lowest prices are hidden, just totally mismanaged.

Again, BEST OF LUCK. I PRAY WENIG GETS IT TOGETHER AND I PRAY SELLERS SURVIVE.

Message 209 of 289
latest reply

To Mam98031...

where did you find your information of ebay saying they won't change the GTC policy?

I'd like to read up on their comments...

Message 210 of 289
latest reply