cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone at all had a Bump in Sales or Happy since the Implementation of GTC?

Just a quick question for everyone out there.   Has anyone had an increase of Sales since the Implementation of GTC?   If you have seen a decrease please mention it here.

Cheers everyone!

Message 1 of 289
latest reply
288 REPLIES 288

Re: Has anyone at all had a Bump in Sales or Happy since the Implementation of GTC?

My sales have flat out cratered since ebay started this GTC bull pucky!!! I'm a small time, one woman seller and have depended on my ebay sales for extra income to make ends meet... and now... nothing. Poof! Gone! My sales have all but dried up over the last several weeks since GTC was shoved down our throats.

About the only sales I get any more, when I do get them, are from the stupid auctions. Most buyers don't like auctions, as we live in a "gotta have it right now" society any more. People don't want to wait. I've been experimenting with different things trying to bump my sales back up, but nothing is working so far. I'm close to my wits end and am almost ready to just throwing my hands up. It all seems so pointless any more. How did ebay selling go from fun and exciting to depressing and discouraging so fast?

Thanks soooo much for caring about us little mom and pop sellers, ebay. Thanks for spitting in our faces and letting us know that our voices don't matter.

Message 181 of 289
latest reply

Re: Has anyone at all had a Bump in Sales or Happy since the Implementation of GTC?

I didn’t mean to misquote the information. My apology.

Copied from ecommercebytes:  Dated 4/24/19 - “eBay CEO Devin Wenig explained to Wall Street analysts on Tuesday's earnings conference call that its own revenue growth was partly driven by Promoted Listings - sellers were "flocking" to Promoted Listings, he said.

"In Q1, we had more than $800,000 active sellers promote over 200 million listings. This helped drive over $65 million of revenue this quarter, up nearly a 110%."

While that's a win for eBay, it's the result of sellers having to compete more fiercely for sales, finding themselves having to sacrifice profit margin by paying for visibility through Promoted Listing ads”.

My apology for speaking it incorrectly, but the above will show you that when a SALE IS MADE regarding promotions, “This helps drive over $65 million of revenue this quarter, up nearly a 110%”.

This also referenced: And despite the decline in dollar sales for its sellers - even as many paid more for visibility - eBay itself experienced a 4% increase in revenue (on a foreign-currency neutral basis) thanks to seller fees.

Message 182 of 289
latest reply

I didn’t mean to misquote the information. My apology.

Copied from ecommercebytes:  Dated 4/24/19 - “eBay CEO Devin Wenig explained to Wall Street analysts on Tuesday's earnings conference call that its own revenue growth was partly driven by Promoted Listings - sellers were "flocking" to Promoted Listings, he said.

"In Q1, we had more than $800,000 active sellers promote over 200 million listings. This helped drive over $65 million of revenue this quarter, up nearly a 110%."

While that's a win for eBay, it's the result of sellers having to compete more fiercely for sales, finding themselves having to sacrifice profit margin by paying for visibility through Promoted Listing ads”.

My apology for speaking it incorrectly, but the above will show you that when a SALE IS MADE regarding promotions, “This helps drive over $65 million of revenue this quarter, up nearly a 110%”.

This also referenced: And despite the decline in dollar sales for its sellers - even as many paid more for visibility - eBay itself experienced a 4% increase in revenue (on a foreign-currency neutral basis) thanks to seller fees.

Message 183 of 289
latest reply

Oops, I missed a question I wanted to ask. In the above referenced ecommercebytes, dated 4/24/19 I referenced. I wanted to ask if someone saw better profits since the implementation of paying for promotions? Did you earn more for your sale that is promoted, or less? 

Message 184 of 289
latest reply

Well put Ravenbeaks

Your post is exactly like me...I feel your pain and mine!!

Message 185 of 289
latest reply

I feel the same way! I have to maneuver, as you said, my fixed price items to auctions in order to avoid paying insertion fees (I have a basic store.) When I do this, I lose my watchers and then they seem to forget about it. When I have slots open I will typically change the auction items back to fixed price if they haven't sold after two weeks...its such a fiasco and I am frustrated & overwhelmed beyond belief! But I, like you, want to remain Top Rated so I comply. I'm glad others feel the same way. If nothing else, it is good to vent. I truly love Ebay selling and finding vintage and unique items to sell. I just wish there was a better way to save money and sell more!!
Message 186 of 289
latest reply

That is the scary thing. It hurts the seller... 😞  I have over 120 items with watchers but my buying has not increased.

Message 187 of 289
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

What part of it is deceptive? Did you NOT know you had to pay fees to list, FVF, etc?

Let's be real here.  Using a phrase such as "Good 'Til Cancelled" is  deceptive in nature for any new eBayer or for the average user who sells personal items every now and then.  I bet it has even fooled people who even sell for a living.

It's only until you read the fine print below it that you notice there is a fee everytime it renews automaticaly after 30 days. 

That should just change their name to FeeBay. Really. 

Message 188 of 289
latest reply

NO to GTC "Good Til Cancelled Policy”,  IT's bad for the small businesses.

Message 189 of 289
latest reply

I want to share something here. I’m on here aggravated with them and let down because they performed better for me for a couple of years.

If anyone wants to read the history or skip it: This time I didn’t make a whole lot of noise considering what they put me thru. I lost my first account because all my listings were showing in other countries, but not the U.S. eBay and I couldn’t figure it out. The settings were correct, so I abandon my almost 3000 reviews to start ALL OVER with the promise to watch my account. (Yea, right!). I had to re-establish myself on my buyer’s account to start over. It went great. I bought near Christmas based on my past sales and the bottom fell out. I’ve waited a year and these are very popular products and verified by looking them up in sold listings. Nothing is changing, so I have to. Lesson learned: You can be the best seller, deliver good products, does not matter. It’s great for a while, but then it’s not. Don’t get very comfortable.

However, this is not my first rodeo with them. They can be where you love to sell OR you hate to sell because of things like this. 

I left for I believe a little over a year or so 3-4 years ago. 

Honestly, if  you go away for a year or two, it seems to make a huge difference.

The part they don’t get. If you are a decent seller and the buyers are happy no matter what your revenue is, they should work hard to keep us. I recall a year or so ago receiving a Hummel in a Pop Tart Box! I didn’t report it because how pitiful that someone doesn’t have a “box”. Any other buyer would be upset. So, if there is not consistency the buyers go elsewhere. It’s that simple. Dipping deeper into my pockets doesn’t make it valuable to continue to sell here right now.

I’m sure I will be back later. I’m not out now and I’m going to float it. If I sell something, then I do. If not, I’m already working on what appears a must get done. 

Best of luck to everyone. EBay isn’t that bad, it just seems few a year or two so we will all be back or stick it out.  I can’t afford to not do something.  I’m losing a lot to sell at the prices I am and that’s pathetic when I see ALL these other sellers making it at list price! It sickens me.

Message 190 of 289
latest reply

some watchers, no buyers in at least 2-3 wks. thanks, everyone.
Message 191 of 289
latest reply

NO SALES HERE My sales are lower than I have have ever seen them for the last 2 months, considering shutting my store down it is not worth the work and when I do have sales between the fee's, fee's and the fee's very little of the $ make it home and then add the every changing sales environment and glitches and the scammers, GTC, PayPal, then no PayPal on a lot of sites I have used have pushed me to purchase from other venues as I am sure it has sent others away.

Feels like I am on a sinking ship and I am trapped below deck. Should be used to it by now.

Message 192 of 289
latest reply

@pici.newyork wrote:

@rixstuff wrote:

What part of it is deceptive? Did you NOT know you had to pay fees to list, FVF, etc?

Let's be real here.  Using a phrase such as "Good 'Til Cancelled" is  deceptive in nature for any new eBayer or for the average user who sells personal items every now and then.  I bet it has even fooled people who even sell for a living.

It's only until you read the fine print below it that you notice there is a fee everytime it renews automaticaly after 30 days. 

That should just change their name to FeeBay. Really. 

I'm sorry it was hard for you to discover but I (and many many others) learned this YEARS ago.  I often do multivariation listings that I leave to run until the items are sold.  Have since the beginning.  It wasn't a secret and hasn't changed.  I also reiterate that this is how listings are handled on nearly EVERY OTHER SITE OUT THERE.  You don't like it HERE?  You will just LOVE the 25% FVF and EXPENSIVE flat rate shipping imposed by other sites.  And Whoo-hoo! You DONT GET PAID until the item is delivered and the buyer rates you!

Message 193 of 289
latest reply

This has been the worst thing that has happened to my eBay sales since I started in 2001.  It seems that if you are not a corporate seller, they want you to go away.  My sales are through the floor and getting -worse.  I have a basic store and always have 250 +or- items listed.  The funny thing about this is that when I do get a sale, I will likely get one or two more in the same hour or couple of hours.  Fiddlin' with the algorithm much, eBay?

Message 194 of 289
latest reply

There are 1,000's of small sellers that have used GTC for YEARS.  I'm one of them.  But with that said, I completely understand and respect how this change is beyond huge to many sellers.  Some sellers will adapt and some unfortunately will not.  Some of the sellers that won't will be a combination of those that are just firmly against the change and others because they have no desire to adapt.

I am NOT in any way trying to take away the impact this has had on many sellers.  It is a VERY important issue and there are lots of sellers of varying sizes that are struggling with this.

For many of us the slow sales started BEFORE the GTC policy changed.  So I'm personally not sure where the problem lies.  I suspect it is a combination of things to include the change in the way Ebay advertises as of May 1st.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 195 of 289
latest reply