cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizarre Results Using "Send Offer"

As others have reported here, sending offers often leads to a full priced sale.  I decided to try it this morning.  I've had 5 watchers on one item all week, and within 2 hours of sending them a 5% off offer, I get a full priced sale.  Some people are questioning if the offer system is working right, but I think offers must trigger greater visibility.   

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I've actually had a really good return rate on the make offer option. Every couple days I'll sit on the couch and send off a bunch of offers. I have over 1600 listings so I keep the offers sent around 75-100 and I've been able to drum up a lot of business this way. But I do think it may do something with visibility as well. My sales have increased quite a bit from last year at this time. I think what it also creates is pressure to buy at the lower price because it's only good for 48 hours. Maybe it creates the "time is running out" scenario, similar to what it was like before good till cancelled.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Start tracking if your sales are full price or discounted (the watchers).  The "time is running out" scenario would only apply for the watchers, and they would be buying at a discount.  I think it signals the search engine that you are willing to deal on the item, thus leading to more exposure and full price sales.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You may be onto something with the offer button not working properly. my last 2 high priced sales $100 plus had BEST OFFER added to the listing and both buyers purchased at the full price.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Well I'm glad I'm not losing it
I just emailed another ebay friend/member a few days ago and asked if they are seeing the same result. They said when/if they use the send offer they will start to pay attention to this.
I have had so many full price sales the last few weeks on items I have sent offers on.
So yes it is happening to me as well . 
I haven't been super active on the boards so yours is the first post  I have seen about it
So it's been posted about ? very interesting 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@labs118 wrote:

Well I'm glad I'm not losing it
I just emailed another ebay friend/member a few days ago and asked if they are seeing the same result. They said when/if they use the send offer they will start to pay attention to this.
I have had so many full price sales the last few weeks on items I have sent offers on.
So yes it is happening to me as well . 
I haven't been super active on the boards so yours is the first post  I have seen about it
So it's been posted about ? very interesting 

I posted about it a couple of months ago. When I sent out offers and got a full priced sale, the full priced sale happened less than an hour after offers were being sent. I'm inclined to believe what the watchers did when they got the offer was they clicked on the listing and bought the item without realizing they had to follow a link from the email. The items I was selling are not commodity things, and many of my tokens might only have one or two interested buyers.

So while I think you might get more exposure, I think in some cases the buyers are making mistakes in purchasing after receiving the offer.

C.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If the watchers purchased, wouldn't they realize that the price wasn't right?  Wouldn't they have been expecting the discount?  I really don't think it's the watchers.  I think it is new people.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@tamaralea wrote:

If the watchers purchased, wouldn't they realize that the price wasn't right?  Wouldn't they have been expecting the discount?  I really don't think it's the watchers.  I think it is new people.

I've been waiting for someone to contact me and complain that I offered them a coin for $17 but they ended up paying $20. One watcher did contact me to tell me he got the offer but when he went to the listing it's the same price it was before. I told him it's that price for everyone else, he needs to follow the link in the email.

There is a large number of people who will see a promo sign and say nothing when the clerk doesn't ring in the promo. And then they just don't go back to that store. I'm afraid this situation might be the same and the person who paid me full price after getting an offer thinks they've been cheated and don't buy from me again.

And then I have watchers that put things on their watch list to see what kind of offer I'll throw out. There's a half dozen or so buyers who've been trained to watch anything they want to buy and wait for an offer. They buy some things, but not other things, I think it depends on the deal they get. The deals I offer get better the longer something is sitting around in my store.

C.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Maybe this would be a good question for the buying board.  I'll ask if anyone has accepted an offer and find out their experience.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply