cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE HAS TAKEN OVER FROM EBAY.

Yup its finally happening! marketplace is taking a vast volume of business from ebay and its down mainly to several points, 

1) Ebays fees are simply too much.

2) support is biased and doesnt support the seller nowhere near as much as the buyer

3) interface is rubbish, old and complicated.

4) holding user's money should be stopped.

And of cause I expect a few rocks will be turned over by this and out comes the ebaybots with their brown tongues to try and prove me otherwise lol. 

Message 1 of 94
latest reply
93 REPLIES 93

Re: FACEBOOK MARKETPLACE HAS TAKEN OVER FROM EBAY.

I have to ask.  just what is the reference to a brown tongue

is that like a brown noser

i dont care for facebook since instagram supports human trafficking in the oil patch countries

do a search in Farsi for a maid. they are for sale like chattel thanks to the CEO

@enigmaticscience 

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 94
latest reply

FB marketplace is one of the forums I utilize and a lot of my sales through that venue have been local P2P pickup so there are a couple of  other advantages: no shipping, no risk of loss or damage, buyer can look at and inspect the item before they take possession so there is little to no chance of dealing with returns I can list at a lower cost since the fees are lower. Payment is instant through PayPal, Venmo or one of the other third party financial processors. 

Message 3 of 94
latest reply

i dont care for facebook since instagram supports human trafficking in the oil patch countries

do a search in Farsi for a maid. they are for sale like chattel thanks to the CEO

I have similar feelings about a number of countries eBay allows business to be conducted with/in. China, Russia even before it was sequestered and several middle eastern countries are all on my list as countries I won't ship or sell to but buyers have found several workarounds for that. 

Message 4 of 94
latest reply

Every platform has its place.

I would say Facebook Marketplace has usurped CRAIGLIST (not Ebay). The very (now) rare times I post on CL, I get bot calls and texts no matter what I do.

But FB Marketplace... ugh! My son is in escrow on a house and trying to get furniture on FB... half the people that even LOOK at messages will reply... stuff is sold that the seller doesn't mark as such...

Every platform has its problems

Message 5 of 94
latest reply

I assume FB has overtaken eBay for you. Unless you have facts to the contrary that show gross merchandise sales on FB exceed eBay. 

Message 6 of 94
latest reply

Buyers do not care one bit about problems sellers have listing or getting support so that can be eliminated. Buyers do not care one bit how much you pay Ebay to sell an item so that can be eliminated. Buyers do not care about any interface as they type what the want and have no problems paying you so that can be eliminated. Buyers do not care if Ebay holds your money so that can be eliminated. What is left and the most important reason why Facebook marketplace is gaining shares is because Facebook has 80x more users than Ebay.

Message 7 of 94
latest reply

I have done some deals through FB marketplace but I found it to be a pain.  Listing is easy and getting paid is easy however for every one person who actually shows up to make the deal there are dozens of no-shows, dozens of "can you hold this till Friday when I get paid" and hundreds of "is it still available" messages.  eBay has it's problems, that's for sure but I would rather deal with those than deal with the 90% of idiots on FB.  

I left FB altogether a year or so ago for several reasons that have nothing to do with the marketplace so they are not an option for me anymore.   

Message 8 of 94
latest reply

You need to use whichever platforms work for you. Buyers are what is important. Scammers in general are much higher on Marketplace. One size does not fit all, so you can't make an all-cap blanket statement.....

Just throwing this out there for factual information:

#ebay-marketplace.jpg

thanks for looking

Monica (brown tongue) Sells

Message 9 of 94
latest reply

I would only use Facebook if I could do local pickup only. Unfortunately what we sell would attract a large amount of criminals who would probably use a gun for payment, so I would have to have a swat team with me.

Message 10 of 94
latest reply

Totally surprised that Bonanza is up there close to ebay. That place as far as I have experienced allows product to rot.

Message 11 of 94
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Totally surprised that Bonanza is up there close to ebay. That place as far as I have experienced allows product to rot.

What does "up there close to eBay) mean?

If that is the same survey I recall from a year or two ago, it asked sellers question about the use interface and usability, not whether they got any sales.

Message 12 of 94
latest reply

@enigmaticscience wrote:

Yup its finally happening! marketplace is taking a vast volume of business from ebay and its down mainly to several points, 

1) Ebays fees are simply too much.

2) support is biased and doesnt support the seller nowhere near as much as the buyer

3) interface is rubbish, old and complicated.

4) holding user's money should be stopped.

And of cause I expect a few rocks will be turned over by this and out comes the ebaybots with their brown tongues to try and prove me otherwise lol. 

I have been conducting a test in the last 2 months. I placed identical $100 ish items on Facebook marketplace and ebay. The FB marketplace item was reduced in price by approximately the savings in fees. 

Results for my very limited experiment are.

ebay over 100 sold

FB marketplace 0 sold

Message 13 of 94
latest reply

this is an online survey of Sellers, so it is even more surprising because I, personally, have no luck at bonanza unless I am giving it away........

Message 14 of 94
latest reply

@monica-sells wrote:

Just throwing this out there for factual information:

"Factual information" is not a requirement to post in this forum anymore. In fact, it's actively discouraged in some circles.  😏

But thanks from the rest of us!

Message 15 of 94
latest reply