cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to cancel order .... very rude.... need your opinions

All these years and I just got my 1st cancel order request. The buyer put in Best offers on 3 items and the offers were fair so I accepted and sent the invoice. About 10 minutes later, I get the email from ebay stating the buyer wanted to cancel the order. I sent a message to the buyer asking them if there was a problem and instantly got a reply back saying "Dont be rude, just cancel the dang order."

Here's my question....if I cancel the order per the buyers request through ebay, can they still leave me feedback on the 3 sales??  Also, should I cancel it or should I just let it run and then open an UPI in 2 days.  I've already put them on my BBL for future transactions (which is sad because he had over 1600 pos feedback all saying great buyer and superfast payer). Just stumped on this one. All help appreciated

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Buyer wants to cancel order .... very rude.... need your opinions

@dealsagent said:  The equivalent of this is if you had a physical store and the person placed an item in their cart but then decided to just leave it at the register. Are you going to get bitter and chase them out?

How about if the person put 3 items in their cart, then went and asked the store owner if they would accept XXXX amount of $, and the owner declined so the buyer asked if another low amount would be accepted and the owner declined and gave her best price ... then the buyer asked if the owner would accept this last low amount and the kind owner decided to agree ... and then the rude buyer called the owner rude and walked out leaving the items in the cart.  

I would not like to have that kind of person come back into my store again.  

Message 46 of 78
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

I was thinking the same, but I could be wrong.  

I read this thread a little while ago and decided not to say anything.  However, I keep coming back, reading more and just shaking my head.

It sure would be nice to know the buyer's side.  Since there isn't any way of really knowing, there is absolutely no way of forming a reasonable or rational opinion. 

(personal opinion - your mileage may vary)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 47 of 78
latest reply

@dealsagent ... statements like you just posted make me smh. Please read my original post. I'm not, nor did I complain about him cancelling the transactions. I simply asked if I cancelled the transactions per his request through ebay could he potentially post neg feedback for the transations.

Message 48 of 78
latest reply

ok I see what you're saying.
The answer is absolutely No. Zero possibility of Neg feedback. If he sent you the cancel request you just accept it and feedback is closed to them. If he requested the feedback via email then send them a cancel request and make sure you indicate 'requested by buyer.' Best to just ask him to send you the cancel request.
I once had 3 cancels in one day and I only had one before since I've been selling on ebay. It was so strange and I thought something must be wrong. I think my item, by some search glitch, appeared as the cheapest and when it was fixed shortly after they saw the other items and wanted to cancel.
Message 49 of 78
latest reply

@candd205 wrote:

It's pretty easy, just cancel at Buyers request and costs you nothing to cancel the sale at this point.

Could save you later for return costs if the buyer tries to return the item saying it was not as described. Then it costs you shipping both ways.

If I understand the seller correctly, it sounds like the buyer commited to purchase the items - did not actually pay for them before requesting that the transaction be cancelled. So, your comment about return costs and buyer possibly saying NAD, makes no sense. The items were never mailed out.  

Message 50 of 78
latest reply

@dealsagent wrote:
I don't get it. He changed his mind or whatever, get over it. It's not like you shipped it or its an expense to you in anyway. The equivalent of this is if you had a physical store and the person placed an item in their cart but then decided to just leave it at the register. Are you going to get bitter and chase them out?

Which is something that happens all the time in B&M retail, too.  At least once a day at my actual job I'll get someone who comes up to the register, hands me something and says "Actually, I don't want this one."  Annoying, sure, but just a part of doing business.

Message 51 of 78
latest reply

hidy-hoo wrote:

Hey everyone! Just an update - I reached out to get details on this and I may have found the source of some of the conflicting experiences detailed here on the boards; there used to be a block for buyers to leave feedback if they requested the cancellation, but this was removed. Since there are times where the buyer could be cancelling due to the seller's behavior (sudden increase to shipping costs, a change in terms, additional information about the item condition that contradicts the listing, etc.) we want to allow the buyer to leave feedback about their experience as often as possible. We still offer protection for a seller if a negative or neutral feedback is left and the buyer requested the cancellation through no fault of the seller, this would just have to be a manual review. I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion!

Thanks for your post to clarify where there was some confusion on the subject of feedback in a situation like this.  Appreciate it.  I could have sworn when I had a request to cancel so long ago, there was NO transaction to do feedback on.  Now I know I remembered correctly... just didn't keep up-to-day on this particular change in policy eBay made.   sigh.....  Smiley Frustrated

Message 52 of 78
latest reply

Ebay still removes the link to leave feedback from the listing and your myebay AFAIK but you can leave it from the feedback forum 

Message 53 of 78
latest reply

Frustrating situation for you, no doubt, OP, but just cancel the order.  You could find yourself in a far more difficult and financially painful situation if you don't.

Use cancel at buyer's request; you will not get a defect for that.

Buyer may have lashed out because he is embarrassed he caused you extra work but won't admit that he should not have done that; possibly he is just frustrated that you courteously inquired as to what happened, but still, not a great response to you.

Cancel and block.  

Message 54 of 78
latest reply

It comes across as kind of rude to me.  He is asking for a favor; it is not his right to cancel, it is a request, and he put the seller out by submitting best offers that were considered and accepted, thus wasting her time.  Granted it is in the seller's best interest to avoid future problems with this guy to cancel, but a better response by the buyer would have been, I am so sorry for any inconveniece or trouble but I find I cannot complete this transaction after all.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.  I am sorry I wasted your time.

I know, it's not a perfect world.  But to turn around and accuse the SELLER of being rude when they created the situation...well...

Just some thoughts.

Message 55 of 78
latest reply

@sentaijin wrote:

Had my first cancel request after nealy 19 years. Phrased simply as "Please cancel my bid." , no explanation, reason or apology. Since there was about 13 hours left, I handled it politely, but it would have been nice to hear "thank you"...

People just aren't as polite as they should be.

Amen.

Message 56 of 78
latest reply

I may be wrong or confused, but I am aware of two ways that people do cancellations. I haven't had one in a long long time, and it may have changed. Buyers often send a message stating that they don't want to complete the transaction. The seller then does not pursue an unpaid item, or even cancels. This buyer can leave feedback. The other method is for the buyer to initiate "cancel" and the seller completes the cancel. It is possible that now the buyer is no longer given the opportunity to leave ffedback, or that they still can do so, but the link is harder to find.

Message 57 of 78
latest reply

Buyer can't leave feedback if they never paid.

Message 58 of 78
latest reply

Cancel the order. They can't leave feedback if they don't pay.
Message 59 of 78
latest reply

If the buyer requests cancellation they can't leave negative feedback.
Message 60 of 78
latest reply