cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to cancel order .... very rude.... need your opinions

All these years and I just got my 1st cancel order request. The buyer put in Best offers on 3 items and the offers were fair so I accepted and sent the invoice. About 10 minutes later, I get the email from ebay stating the buyer wanted to cancel the order. I sent a message to the buyer asking them if there was a problem and instantly got a reply back saying "Dont be rude, just cancel the dang order."

Here's my question....if I cancel the order per the buyers request through ebay, can they still leave me feedback on the 3 sales??  Also, should I cancel it or should I just let it run and then open an UPI in 2 days.  I've already put them on my BBL for future transactions (which is sad because he had over 1600 pos feedback all saying great buyer and superfast payer). Just stumped on this one. All help appreciated

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The thing about Discussion Boards is that they are pretty much open to "discussion" and those conversations sometimes range to side thoughts related to what someone said here in the text of their own post. 

If you cancel the sale at the buyer's request, there IS no sale transaction for the buyer to post feedback to. 

And you cancel simply by choosing the "buyer requested' option, so no skin off your nose there either, and just a part of being in business, and one of the more innocuous parts at that.

I don't actually think you were rude to inquire whether there was a problem with the sale, so think the buyer snipping back that you were rude to inquire was perhaps a bit overboard.. much like your reaction here is being construed as escalating replies a bit too much for the level of discussion showing here.  But I also don't think the buyer's reply to you was particularly 'rude' either.....

In these situations, just cancel the sale, as requested.  You can't bend buyer's hands back and bring them to their knees to force them to complete sales, and if you try by way of filing UPI disputes... THAT is what can come back and bite you in the feedback!

Buyers change their minds, even after they've made their choices, here on eBay as well as in the brick and mortar stores of their hometowns.  The stores don't refuse to let buyers put items back on the shelves and insist they complete their in-store purchases, and we aren't smart to try that here either.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

cancel. forget it

Message 2 of 78
latest reply

Personally I would just cancel. Unless there's something else in there, I don't see how they were "very rude". I think you're taking it way too personally.

Message 3 of 78
latest reply

Price of doing business.

Wherever you go, there you are. Please remember, when you are asked if you are a god, you say yes.
Message 4 of 78
latest reply

Cancelling a transaction has no bearing on feedback for other sales. Just cancel it. By the way, buyers can ONLY get positive feedback so that means the best buyer and the worst buyer have the same feedback. Look, instead, at the buyer's feedback left for sellers.

Message 5 of 78
latest reply

It's pretty easy, just cancel at Buyers request and costs you nothing to cancel the sale at this point.

Could save you later for return costs if the buyer tries to return the item saying it was not as described. Then it costs you shipping both ways.

Message 6 of 78
latest reply

I know buyers can only receive pos feedback, what I was wondering was if I cancel the order per the buyers request, If he wants to be a butt about the situation, could he leave any neg feedback or if the order is canceled, does that take away his ability to leave feedback.

Message 7 of 78
latest reply

It wasn't rude to call the seller rude? okay

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 8 of 78
latest reply

@vintage-psa-investments wrote:

All these years and I just got my 1st cancel order request. The buyer put in Best offers on 3 items and the offers were fair so I accepted and sent the invoice. About 10 minutes later, I get the email from ebay stating the buyer wanted to cancel the order. I sent a message to the buyer asking them if there was a problem and instantly got a reply back saying "Dont be rude, just cancel the dang order."

How is that rude? Just cancel and move on

Message 9 of 78
latest reply

I was taught manners and how to be polite to people when I was a coming up as a child. Just my opinion, but i think when you send a polite message asking if there were any issues and you get a reply of "Dont be rude, just cancel the dang order" ....I kind of think thats rude.  I CAME TO THE FORUM to ask an opinion on what to do...NOT TO GET PEOPLES OPINION on what being rude was. I thought this forum would be helpful....

Message 10 of 78
latest reply

If he wants to be a butt about the situation, could he leave any neg feedback or if the order is canceled, does that take away his ability to leave feedback.

Buyer can leave feedback on a canceled transaction.

Buyer can leave feedback on a transaction which seller forced payment.

Which situation do you expect would yield better feedback?

Worse, buyer who doesn't want the stuff can return it later as defective, costing you money.

Message 11 of 78
latest reply

@vintage-psa-investments wrote:

Here's my question....if I cancel the order per the buyers request through ebay, can they still leave me feedback on the 3 sales??  Also, should I cancel it or should I just let it run and then open an UPI in 2 days.  I've already put them on my BBL for future transactions (which is sad because he had over 1600 pos feedback all saying great buyer and superfast payer). Just stumped on this one. All help appreciated

Don't make matters worse. Just cancel the buyer's order.

Message 12 of 78
latest reply

@vintage-psa-investments Not really sure why this buyer called you rude, doesn't seem like you did anything rude -- all you did was ask for confirmation that he wanted his order cancelled.

If I were you I'd cancel the order and take the high road by sending him a short, sweet, concise note after it's been cancelled to the effect of: "Per your request I have cancelled your order.  You should have recieved the refund from paypal, if not already --- then momentarily.  Any questions or concerns let me know".

This way, since he can leave feedback and if he had the slightest inclination to neg you he may reconsider as you've been so nice.

And very important: add this deadbeat to your BBL.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 13 of 78
latest reply

Thanks you for an honest answer @klassic*kids . I will not have to worry about refunding him because he requested me to cancel the order as soon as I accepted his Best Offersand sent him an invoice...so he never payed. THANK YOU for answering the question though.

Message 14 of 78
latest reply

The thing about Discussion Boards is that they are pretty much open to "discussion" and those conversations sometimes range to side thoughts related to what someone said here in the text of their own post. 

If you cancel the sale at the buyer's request, there IS no sale transaction for the buyer to post feedback to. 

And you cancel simply by choosing the "buyer requested' option, so no skin off your nose there either, and just a part of being in business, and one of the more innocuous parts at that.

I don't actually think you were rude to inquire whether there was a problem with the sale, so think the buyer snipping back that you were rude to inquire was perhaps a bit overboard.. much like your reaction here is being construed as escalating replies a bit too much for the level of discussion showing here.  But I also don't think the buyer's reply to you was particularly 'rude' either.....

In these situations, just cancel the sale, as requested.  You can't bend buyer's hands back and bring them to their knees to force them to complete sales, and if you try by way of filing UPI disputes... THAT is what can come back and bite you in the feedback!

Buyers change their minds, even after they've made their choices, here on eBay as well as in the brick and mortar stores of their hometowns.  The stores don't refuse to let buyers put items back on the shelves and insist they complete their in-store purchases, and we aren't smart to try that here either.

Message 15 of 78
latest reply