cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

Message 1 of 714
latest reply
713 REPLIES 713

Re: Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

This is an odd thing for sure.  You do get a defect anytime a REQUEST is filed by a buyer for an INR, but if you resolve it during the request stage with the buyer, you do NOT get a hit in your case closed without seller resolution stat.  But still the wording is bad.  But I honestly don't know what they mean by "defect" as there is no matrix for it on the seller Dashboard.

I think the page is outdated........  Remember that back in 2015........and INR did count as a defect, back when neg feedback also counted as a defect.  They changed that........but let's ask Trinton to check and refer to the people who can update if necessary............  @Anonymous

Thanks for grabbing me on this - the wording on this page is a little outdated, as it is not the opening of cases that record defects at this time but the escalation of the case to eBay. If the case is not escalated, no defect is recorded. I've gotten this submitted for adjustments to our content teams and we should get this updated soon!

Message 616 of 714
latest reply

Re: Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

@sharingtheland wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Are you Trinton's appointed spokesperson now?

No I'm not, but what has that got to do with anything.  Like many of us do from time to time, you just misunderstood what was being chatted about.  It happens, it is no big deal.  I was merely trying to help you better understand, nothing more.

Sooooo tempted but I'm fairly certain georg can handle this one.

Off to the links now and then the wee wild boys are coming to spend the night and go to the big pool party here tomorrow and my packages (some excellent $$$ sales) are ready to be mailed today and I won't look at ebay again until maybe tomorrow night if I'm not too wore out - life is good.

Because you don't like what I say, does not mean I'm wrong.  It just means you don't like what I've said and/or have a different opinion.  However what you are responding to is NOT an opinion but a response to a statement by George.  Nothing more even though you'd like to make more of it than there is.

George has every right to his opinion, in this SPECIFIC statement, he is incorrect.  He said it in concern over my reponse to something he said about the OP which the OP has repeatedly said was incorrect.  He SPUN that into the reaction you see above.  Nothing more than that!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 617 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Are you Trinton's appointed spokesperson now?

No I'm not, but what has that got to do with anything.  Like many of us do from time to time, you just misunderstood what was being chatted about.  It happens, it is no big deal.  I was merely trying to help you better understand, nothing more.

Sooooo tempted but I'm fairly certain georg can handle this one.

Off to the links now and then the wee wild boys are coming to spend the night and go to the big pool party here tomorrow and my packages (some excellent $$$ sales) are ready to be mailed today and I won't look at ebay again until maybe tomorrow night if I'm not too wore out - life is good.

Because you don't like what I say, does not mean I'm wrong.  It just means you don't like what I've said and/or have a different opinion.  However what you are responding to is NOT an opinion but a response to a statement by George.  Nothing more even though you'd like to make more of it than there is.

George has every right to his opinion, in this SPECIFIC statement, he is incorrect.  He said it in concern over my reponse to something he said about the OP which the OP has repeatedly said was incorrect.  He SPUN that into the reaction you see above.  Nothing more than that!

In this case you are mistaken. Like I said, only one person can say with certainty what I meant, and that person would be me.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 618 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Interestingly enough, I had an INR myself today and when I went to view the case details one of my selections was guess what? Enter tracking #

Now why would that be there if eBay could already see I had tracking (as I use eBay labels) as trinton claimed?

I wasn't willing to take one for the team and NOT enter it as my widget was for considerably more than .99, so I'm sorry I can't clarify whether you have to or not.

Oh, and when I called to get the case closed after uploading tracking (shouldn't it kind of close automically once delivery is verified?) the robo system told me I didn't have to do anything else and could just wait for the case to close (yeah right, not happening baby)

Hey @ymeagainlord, just wanted to clarify a couple of the questions you had. The option to upload tracking is available even when tracking has already been provided for instances where a seller ended up shipping with another label/tracking number than what was originally provided. The first tracking of course wouldn't confirm delivery, so the seller could upload the correct tracking for delivery confirmation. This also could be used if the seller sent a replacement to the buyer and subsequently has a new tracking number.

Additionally, we wouldn't automatically close the case when delivery is confirmed since there are times where a seller will choose to send a replacement or refund even when tracking confirms delivery. This is the seller's choice and we only step in to make a decision if the case is escalated to eBay. 

Message 619 of 714
latest reply

We are only going in circles, so this conversation is not productive in any way.  I posted EXACTLY what you said.  My opinion of them doesn't matter, your words speak for themselves.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 620 of 714
latest reply

I think both of you made your points of view clear already.

George: Again, I'm scratching my head over the first part of that message which seems to intimate that the OP is somehow trying to get TPTB to divulge more info about the buyer.

Mam: No he wasn't at all.  The OP was trying to figure out why his buyer did not qualify under the definition Trinton gave for a New Buyer.  The definition just wasn't matching up with the reality the OP was seeing on the transaction.

It seems to me that Mam thinks George said the OP was asking about the buyer's account. It seems to me that George was saying that he felt Trinton's response indicated that the OP was asking about the buyer's account. George said nothing about that being the OP's intention.

Of course I could be wrong since I'm not in George or Mam's heads. That is my outsider's take on it. Does it still matter who said or meant what at this point?

FWIW, the OP asking how the buyer could have qualified as new based on the publically available information was asking for personal account info in the eyes of eBay. Regardless of the fact that the info was publically viewable, asking Trinton to confirm amounts to divulging when the buyer had made purchases which eBay won't do because they view it as personal account information. As I said above, we don't need eBay to confirm because it's pretty clear based on publically viewable info provided by the OP that the buyer didn't qualify.

Message 621 of 714
latest reply

Badwolf: Yes, you understand exactly. Thanks.

Message 622 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

We are only going in circles, so this conversation is not productive in any way.  I posted EXACTLY what you said.  My opinion of them doesn't matter, your words speak for themselves.

Agreed, thanks much.

Message 623 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timemachine777 wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Interestingly enough, I had an INR myself today and when I went to view the case details one of my selections was guess what? Enter tracking #

Now why would that be there if eBay could already see I had tracking (as I use eBay labels) as trinton claimed?

I wasn't willing to take one for the team and NOT enter it as my widget was for considerably more than .99, so I'm sorry I can't clarify whether you have to or not.

Oh, and when I called to get the case closed after uploading tracking (shouldn't it kind of close automically once delivery is verified?) the robo system told me I didn't have to do anything else and could just wait for the case to close (yeah right, not happening baby)

As I've said a number of times...The system doesn't work the way Trinton and some of the members here think it does. There is no such thing as AI on eBay. If the system wants your tracking re-uploaded...you better be available to do it 24/7. Because if your not, we might be seeing you going down the River without a paddle, so that you can sell your stuff there.

I have tested this multiple times and can confirm that if tracking is uploaded to eBay before an item not received case is open, it will not need to be uploaded again. We have access to this information and it is automatically added to the case. You are prompted to provide tracking and given the option to upload it in case the tracking originally provided is not the correct tracking or in the event that you choose to send a replacement to your buyer. If the tracking you provided confirms delivery to the buyer's address, then you would only need to respond to your buyer with a message letting them know that the package appears to be delivered so perhaps they can check with their neighbors for the package.

Message 624 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous Will eBay notify sellers that defects resulting from this test are being removed or will the defects instead mysteriously vanish from their dashboards?

Message 625 of 714
latest reply

@badwolf12 wrote:

Of course I could be wrong since I'm not in George or Mam's heads.

Is anybody else thinking about Webster or is it just me? Smiley LOL

Message 626 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@badwolf12 wrote:

@Anonymous Will eBay notify sellers that defects resulting from this test are being removed or will the defects instead mysteriously vanish from their dashboards?

These would automatically be removed which prompts an email to be sent to the seller with a notification.

Message 627 of 714
latest reply

Will sellers also see a refund for the FVFs they lost due to ebay settled the dispute?

Message 628 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

As I've said a number of times...The system doesn't work the way Trinton and some of the members here think it does. There is no such thing as AI on eBay. If the system wants your tracking re-uploaded...you better be available to do it 24/7. Because if your not, we might be seeing you going down the River without a paddle, so that you can sell your stuff there.

I have tested this multiple times and can confirm that if tracking is uploaded to eBay before an item not received case is open, it will not need to be uploaded again. We have access to this information and it is automatically added to the case. You are prompted to provide tracking and given the option to upload it in case the tracking originally provided is not the correct tracking or in the event that you choose to send a replacement to your buyer. If the tracking you provided confirms delivery to the buyer's address, then you would only need to respond to your buyer with a message letting them know that the package appears to be delivered so perhaps they can check with their neighbors for the package.

So a response to the buyer is "required", Even when delivery is confirmed?

Message 629 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

Hey @ymeagainlord, just wanted to clarify a couple of the questions you had. The option to upload tracking is available even when tracking has already been provided for instances where a seller ended up shipping with another label/tracking number than what was originally provided. The first tracking of course wouldn't confirm delivery, so the seller could upload the correct tracking for delivery confirmation. This also could be used if the seller sent a replacement to the buyer and subsequently has a new tracking number.

Additionally, we wouldn't automatically close the case when delivery is confirmed since there are times where a seller will choose to send a replacement or refund even when tracking confirms delivery. This is the seller's choice and we only step in to make a decision if the case is escalated to eBay. 

@Anonymous

I have not seen this question answered, unless I missed it among the 100's of posts.

If an items tracking number shows that the item has not been delivered yet, but the item is insured. What happens then? For example: all priority packages are insured automatically for 50.00 by USPS. However, the claim still must be processed via the buyer/recipient. The seller/shipper must start the claim, but the buyer must complete the claim questionnaire on their end for the claim to be processed, otherwise, it becomes void, and USPS assumes that the recipient did receive the package regardless of the tracking showing it not delivered.

Also, priority shipment claims can not be processed until 15 days have elapsed from the time of shipping, and other methods take even longer to begin the process, like Media mail. USPS has it's own time frame rules as to when they think that a package may be lost or undeliverable.

Message 630 of 714
latest reply