cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

Message 1 of 714
latest reply
713 REPLIES 713

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

This is an odd thing for sure.  You do get a defect anytime a REQUEST is filed by a buyer for an INR, but if you resolve it during the request stage with the buyer, you do NOT get a hit in your case closed without seller resolution stat.  But still the wording is bad.  But I honestly don't know what they mean by "defect" as there is no matrix for it on the seller Dashboard.

I think the page is outdated........  Remember that back in 2015........and INR did count as a defect, back when neg feedback also counted as a defect.  They changed that........but let's ask Trinton to check and refer to the people who can update if necessary............  @Anonymous

Thanks for grabbing me on this - the wording on this page is a little outdated, as it is not the opening of cases that record defects at this time but the escalation of the case to eBay. If the case is not escalated, no defect is recorded. I've gotten this submitted for adjustments to our content teams and we should get this updated soon!

@Anonymous

There was another area on that page that I found confusing.

The transaction defect rate that results from the opening of requests and cases won't affect your seller status until you have transactions with defects involving at least 5 unique buyers, or at least 4 different buyers to impact Top Rated status, within your evaluation period.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/cases.html

I remember something similar being stated when the defect system did include opened cases but is the statement above true now or is it outdated? 

Message 631 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timemachine777 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Interestingly enough, I had an INR myself today and when I went to view the case details one of my selections was guess what? Enter tracking #

Now why would that be there if eBay could already see I had tracking (as I use eBay labels) as trinton claimed?

I wasn't willing to take one for the team and NOT enter it as my widget was for considerably more than .99, so I'm sorry I can't clarify whether you have to or not.

Oh, and when I called to get the case closed after uploading tracking (shouldn't it kind of close automically once delivery is verified?) the robo system told me I didn't have to do anything else and could just wait for the case to close (yeah right, not happening baby)

Hey @ymeagainlord, just wanted to clarify a couple of the questions you had. The option to upload tracking is available even when tracking has already been provided for instances where a seller ended up shipping with another label/tracking number than what was originally provided. The first tracking of course wouldn't confirm delivery, so the seller could upload the correct tracking for delivery confirmation. This also could be used if the seller sent a replacement to the buyer and subsequently has a new tracking number.

Additionally, we wouldn't automatically close the case when delivery is confirmed since there are times where a seller will choose to send a replacement or refund even when tracking confirms delivery. This is the seller's choice and we only step in to make a decision if the case is escalated to eBay. 

@Anonymous

I have not seen this question answered, unless I missed it among the 100's of posts.

If an items tracking number shows that the item has not been delivered yet, but the item is insured. What happens then? For example: all priority packages are insured automatically for 50.00 by USPS. However, the claim still must be processed via the buyer/recipient. The seller/shipper must start the claim, but the buyer must complete the claim questionnaire on their end for the claim to be processed, otherwise, it becomes void, and USPS assumes that the recipient did receive the package regardless of the tracking showing it not delivered.

Also, priority shipment claims can not be processed until 15 days have elapsed from the time of shipping, and other methods take even longer to begin the process, like Media mail. USPS has it's own time frame rules as to when they think that a package may be lost or undeliverable.

If a seller would like to pursue an insurance claim, then we would expect a refund to be issued right away as you work with your courier. Insurance claims commonly take a month or more to investigate and as this is a protection option for a seller, the buyer would not be expected to wait longer if there is reason to believe the item has been lost in transit. That being said, this topic is better addressed within a thread of it's own as it would be unrelated to the recent 24-hour pilot. If you have additional questions I encourage you to begin a new thread on the topic.

Message 632 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@starroute-us wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Interestingly enough, I had an INR myself today and when I went to view the case details one of my selections was guess what? Enter tracking #

Now why would that be there if eBay could already see I had tracking (as I use eBay labels) as trinton claimed?

I wasn't willing to take one for the team and NOT enter it as my widget was for considerably more than .99, so I'm sorry I can't clarify whether you have to or not.

Oh, and when I called to get the case closed after uploading tracking (shouldn't it kind of close automically once delivery is verified?) the robo system told me I didn't have to do anything else and could just wait for the case to close (yeah right, not happening baby)

As I've said a number of times...The system doesn't work the way Trinton and some of the members here think it does. There is no such thing as AI on eBay. If the system wants your tracking re-uploaded...you better be available to do it 24/7. Because if your not, we might be seeing you going down the River without a paddle, so that you can sell your stuff there.

I have tested this multiple times and can confirm that if tracking is uploaded to eBay before an item not received case is open, it will not need to be uploaded again. We have access to this information and it is automatically added to the case. You are prompted to provide tracking and given the option to upload it in case the tracking originally provided is not the correct tracking or in the event that you choose to send a replacement to your buyer. If the tracking you provided confirms delivery to the buyer's address, then you would only need to respond to your buyer with a message letting them know that the package appears to be delivered so perhaps they can check with their neighbors for the package.

So a response to the buyer is "required", Even when delivery is confirmed?

Yes, you are required to respond to your buyer. They are your customer and responding to their concerns is a customer service step we expect our sellers to provide. This could be as simple as, "I'm sorry to hear you have not received your item. Since tracking confirms delivery, I recommend you check with your neighbors to see if anyone received this item for you."

Message 633 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dhbookds wrote:

This is an odd thing for sure.  You do get a defect anytime a REQUEST is filed by a buyer for an INR, but if you resolve it during the request stage with the buyer, you do NOT get a hit in your case closed without seller resolution stat.  But still the wording is bad.  But I honestly don't know what they mean by "defect" as there is no matrix for it on the seller Dashboard.

I think the page is outdated........  Remember that back in 2015........and INR did count as a defect, back when neg feedback also counted as a defect.  They changed that........but let's ask Trinton to check and refer to the people who can update if necessary............  @Anonymous

Thanks for grabbing me on this - the wording on this page is a little outdated, as it is not the opening of cases that record defects at this time but the escalation of the case to eBay. If the case is not escalated, no defect is recorded. I've gotten this submitted for adjustments to our content teams and we should get this updated soon!

@Anonymous

There was another area on that page that I found confusing.

The transaction defect rate that results from the opening of requests and cases won't affect your seller status until you have transactions with defects involving at least 5 unique buyers, or at least 4 different buyers to impact Top Rated status, within your evaluation period.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/cases.html

I remember something similar being stated when the defect system did include opened cases but is the statement above true now or is it outdated? 

This would be outdated info - defects are recorded only at escalation. I've gotten this page submitted to our content team for review and updating. This may be a little delayed due to the holiday, but generally edits like this are a quick fix.

Message 634 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

Hey @ymeagainlord, just wanted to clarify a couple of the questions you had. The option to upload tracking is available even when tracking has already been provided for instances where a seller ended up shipping with another label/tracking number than what was originally provided. The first tracking of course wouldn't confirm delivery, so the seller could upload the correct tracking for delivery confirmation. This also could be used if the seller sent a replacement to the buyer and subsequently has a new tracking number.

Additionally, we wouldn't automatically close the case when delivery is confirmed since there are times where a seller will choose to send a replacement or refund even when tracking confirms delivery. This is the seller's choice and we only step in to make a decision if the case is escalated to eBay. 

@Anonymous

I have not seen this question answered, unless I missed it among the 100's of posts.

If an items tracking number shows that the item has not been delivered yet, but the item is insured. What happens then? For example: all priority packages are insured automatically for 50.00 by USPS. However, the claim still must be processed via the buyer/recipient. The seller/shipper must start the claim, but the buyer must complete the claim questionnaire on their end for the claim to be processed, otherwise, it becomes void, and USPS assumes that the recipient did receive the package regardless of the tracking showing it not delivered.

Also, priority shipment claims can not be processed until 15 days have elapsed from the time of shipping, and other methods take even longer to begin the process, like Media mail. USPS has it's own time frame rules as to when they think that a package may be lost or undeliverable.

If a seller would like to pursue an insurance claim, then we would expect a refund to be issued right away as you work with your courier. Insurance claims commonly take a month or more to investigate and as this is a protection option for a seller, the buyer would not be expected to wait longer if there is reason to believe the item has been lost in transit. That being said, this topic is better addressed within a thread of it's own as it would be unrelated to the recent 24-hour pilot. If you have additional questions I encourage you to begin a new thread on the topic.

@Anonymous

Here's the problem with refunding a seller ahead of time. They don't follow through on their end with the claim process once they no longer have an incentive to do so, and that ends up voiding the insurance claim. The buyer has to engage with their local Post Office to complete the process.

I always state on my loss package claims to send the refund to the recipient, this way they know that the payment will be issued to them via USPS. They have their incentive to complete the form on their end. Once you remove the incentive, they ignore you. They got their money back an that's all that matters to them. As a seller, you just got burned, and the insurance you purchased is now worthless. 

Message 635 of 714
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Will sellers also see a refund for the FVFs they lost due to ebay settled the dispute?

This is a good question, maybe @Anonymous can advise after the holiday.

Without tracking it's expected the sellers would have refunded (or replaced items), but they shouldn't lose out on their FVFs because eBay escalated the case early.

Message 636 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@timemachine777 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@timemachine777 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@Anonymous

@Anonymous

Here's the problem with refunding a seller ahead of time. They don't follow through on their end with the claim process once they no longer have an incentive to do so, and that ends up voiding the insurance claim. The buyer has to engage with their local Post Office to complete the process.

I always state on my loss package claims to send the refund to the recipient, this way they know that the payment will be issued to them via USPS. They have their incentive to complete the form on their end. Once you remove the incentive, they ignore you. They got their money back an that's all that matters to them. As a seller, you just got burned, and the insurance you purchased is now worthless. 

If the package is lost in transit, the recipeint typically would have no additional actions to take. Either way, if the claim is denied by your courier because the recipient did not cooperate, then eBay will be able to protect you. If this situation arises, we can go into more specific details at that time. We do not recommend that you designate your buyer as the recipient of the refund as we have no way of confirming their payout and will still expect a refund be issued by you. We expect you to resolve the issue for your customer and pursue your own protection through the courier, so if you set the buyer up to receive the insurance payout then you lose your protection option.

Additionally, I will ask that you begin a new thread if you would like to discuss this matter further as it is off topic for this thread. Future comments that are off topic may be removed from this discussion.

Message 637 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@copper.boom wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

Will sellers also see a refund for the FVFs they lost due to ebay settled the dispute?

This is a good question, maybe @Anonymous can advise after the holiday.

Without tracking it's expected the sellers would have refunded (or replaced items), but they shouldn't lose out on their FVFs because eBay escalated the case early.

Sorry @bubbleman2010! I missed this question when reviewing the thread earlier. Most of my contacts are out of the office for the holiday weekend, but I will find an answer for this and touch base when I have more information. Happy 4th of July!  

Message 638 of 714
latest reply

Firstly i dont do the pictures because i am a nice person,,,,I do them so ebay and i have them on record and the adress that was on the okg was stated in the buyers account....I will not and never send to a different adress that stated in the account as if the buyer is crooked they can easily say they never received it and ebay will side with them...it is the buyers that have to forward it on if it is a present for someone else. In ebay it is very clear they only care about the buyers so all of us sellers have to look after ourseves first. Maybe you dont like to cross your t's and dot your i's but i know i do.  When something bad happens to you from an uncouth and dishonest buyer in ebay, then you may come back to me with your tail between your legs saying you were right OZ. What made me say that is your time is so valuable , that you cannot even protect yourself... Let me tell you that scooby doo will wait. A minute or so scanning a picture as you call it , os not unecessary extra work. I am so glad you are no employee of mine.... Personally i dont care where my items are shipped from when i buy something as long as i receive it.... If you would stop looking between the lines and trying to find faults with sellers listings, you may find this site somewhat pleasing to be in. I have no shares in ebay but i used to own a business and i know the customer is not always right. But there again if it was not people like you trying to find mistakes and errors, we would not have a forum to voice our opinions in...would we just!!!! ( sarcasm there and heaps of it!!!). Hope a lot of people get a good laugh at your expense......have a most wonderful and lovely day...ta ta for now OIO

Message 639 of 714
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio

...I will not and never send to a different adress that stated in the account as if the buyer is crooked they can easily say they never received it and ebay will side with them...

You are safer to ship the item to whatever address appears on the PP payment.  While Seller Protection on Ebay says that we can ship to either the Ebay address of record OR the PP address on the payment notice.  The same is NOT true about the PP policy.  It says you have to ship to the address on the PP payment as one of the requirements to qualify for seller protection.  So if the address is different on the PP payment from the Ebay address of record, you are better off to ship it to the address on the PP payment.  Then you are covered in both Ebay and PP.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 640 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@oz_in_ohio

...I will not and never send to a different adress that stated in the account as if the buyer is crooked they can easily say they never received it and ebay will side with them...

You are safer to ship the item to whatever address appears on the PP payment.

You are EXPECTED to ship the item to whatever address appears on the payment. Thats why it is the Ship To address. If you ship it someplace else instead then good luck when the INR is filed.

@mam98031 wrote:

While Seller Protection on Ebay says that we can ship to either the Ebay address of record OR the PP address on the payment notice.  

Are you sure thats what it says? Please post a link because that doesnt sound right.

Message 641 of 714
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@oz_in_ohio

You are safer to ship the item to whatever address appears on the PP payment.

You are EXPECTED to ship the item to whatever address appears on the payment. Thats why it is the Ship To address. If you ship it someplace else instead then good luck when the INR is filed.

@mam98031 wrote:

While Seller Protection on Ebay says that we can ship to either the Ebay address of record OR the PP address on the payment notice.  

Are you sure thats what it says? Please post a link because that doesnt sound right.

As for your first comment about PP,  that is what I said, so I'm unsure as to your point.

As for Ebay, here is the link, I can't seem to locate it right now, sorry.  I'll look more when I have some time.  But it makes sense since Ebay requires that we use PP as are electronic form of payment.  So they would have to honor sellers using the address on the PP payment as the ship to address even if it is different than what the buyer has in Ebay.  If they didn't, that would have a significant impact on sellers.

Message 642 of 714
latest reply

Sorry , you are wrong....As you are selling in ebay, and not in PP, then the adress stated on the ebay account is the one to use... if you want trouble with ebay, then go your merry way but i will not....Dont forget that once an auction is finnished, the particulars on that sale will not change...If a buyer wants you to ship elsewhere, simply lag on them to ebay..... I have been conned in the past and it wont happen again....By sending to another different adress other than the one stated on the winning bidders account, that is a request for negative feedback as the item never went to that adress stated on the buyers account...I once had a person ask for something to be sent to another state as it was a birthday gift...I thought about it and said sure, why should they pay 2 lots of shipping.... Needless to say, they used that to get a complete refund and a neg feedback on me as the bidder personally never received the package. Technically they can have your item and ebay will refund them all their money. So you lose on all counts. Unfortunately the scum in ebay has made me very distrusting and i will only got straight down the line where an ebay auction is concerned... If buyers want to play hardball where the shipping is concerned, i guess so can sellers by only shipping to the adress in the ebay account....have a nice day...OIO

Message 643 of 714
latest reply

With all due respect .....

Are there ANY OTHER pilots happening ATM that sellers should know about?

There are now 600+ replies to this email, and while alot of this has been answered (mostly how eBay was caught ONCE AGAIN with "its pants down" lieing to sellers about the rules .... PERSONALLY, I think that the above question is the most important and has not yet been answered.

@TRINTON - can you PLEASE confirm or deny the existance of ANY others tests, pilots, trials, rules in beta format etc that may be happening ATM.

Suprises are for birthday parties, NOT online sales.

Any help you can give us would be appriciated.

Message 644 of 714
latest reply

@oz_in_ohio

Ebay requires PP, but PP does not require Ebay.  Therefore the PP address is the primary address to be concerned with IF you want to be covered in both Ebay & PP.  

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#11

Basic requirements

To be eligible for PayPal’s Seller Protection, you must meet all of the following requirements 

• The primary address for your PayPal account must be in the United States.
  • The item must be a physical, tangible good that can be shipped.
  • You must ship the item to the shipping address on the transaction details page in your PayPal account for the transaction.  If you originally ship the item to the recipient's shipping address on the transaction details page but the item is later redirected to a different address, you will not be eligible for PayPal Seller Protection. We therefore recommend not using a shipping service that is arranged by the buyer, so that you will be able to provide valid proof of shipping and delivery.
  • You must respond to PayPal's requests for documentation and other information in a timely manner as requested in our email correspondence with you or in our correspondence with you through the Resolution Center. If you do not respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in the time requested, you may not be eligible for Seller Protection.
  • If the sale involves pre-ordered or made-to-order goods, you must ship within the timeframe you specified in the listing. Otherwise, it is recommended that you ship all items within 7 days after receipt of payment.

Message 645 of 714
latest reply