cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

Message 1 of 714
latest reply
713 REPLIES 713

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

The thing about ebay policies is that they go live before sellers are even aware. That's downright sneaky. 

Like I received an unresolved seller defect before we sellers were told that it was now policy that buyers always win cases, even if the seller could prove them wrong. 

The customer service rep agreed with me, told me I won, and then two seconds later I got the we sided with the buyer notice on my dashboard. 

It was at least six months before we were told that buyers weren't going to lose cases anymore. 

Hey! Where is that policy written, anyway? Grrrrrrrr........Cat Mad

Message 601 of 714
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

The thing about ebay policies is that they go live before sellers are even aware. That's downright sneaky. 

Like I received an unresolved seller defect before we sellers were told that it was now policy that buyers always win cases, even if the seller could prove them wrong. 

The customer service rep agreed with me, told me I won, and then two seconds later I got the we sided with the buyer notice on my dashboard. 

It was at least six months before we were told that buyers weren't going to lose cases anymore. 

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

Hi Ersatz!

If I'm not mistaken, that was when all the CSRs started telling sellers "Don't worry- it will revert to the favor of the seller within 48 hours".

eBay is always up to its keester in duplicity.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 602 of 714
latest reply

Hi Georg! 

Yes, that's exactly what happened, even after I proved the buyer wrong. 

I resold the item (exact same description btw) but added another $10 for my troubles. Some other buyer had to pay for this buyer's lie that they used to get free shipping both ways.

Not exactly fair to the second buyer, was it? Well at the end of the day somebody always has to pay, and as a seller, it's not going to be me. 

Message 603 of 714
latest reply

Since this whole thing blew up I do think eBay is going to make sure they are legally covered before resuming the test new policy.

Fixed that for you.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 604 of 714
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@badwolf12 wrote:

I don't think this subject is a big mystery.

The OP asked how their buyer qualified as a new buyer under the terms Trinton advised, and Trinton said that he couldn't share information on a buyer's purchase history because it's considered personal information.

The eBay reps always say they can't share personal account info no matter how innocent it seems and no matter how much of it is publically viewable. That includes confirming whether or not this buyer had made purchases more than 90 days and less than a year ago.

It seems clear the OP's buyer did not meet the new buyer requirements and I don't think any of us need eBay to confirm for us to realize that.

Trinton said he'll have the team in charge review it.

I hope they'll look at the other qualifiers, too.

I can't imagine if some of the other qualifiers weren't programmed correctly. Well, I can and wouldn't be surprised, but I don't want to imagine it.

One of the qualifiers is a lack of tracking. If that wasn't working properly then soon every INR would be subject to this. The chaos that would ensue when sellers are caught off-guard.

Since this whole thing blew up I do think eBay is going to make sure they are legally covered before resuming the test. I don't know if that will be just updating the communications and the programming or if it will also include policy updates. We will have to watch those policy pages to see. If any of us get INRs we should report back if we see a change in the language even if our shipments were tracked.

What a headache.

Darn typos. Edited.

Here's how I am imagining it:

Trinton: Hey guys and gals I don't think this is right!

Guys and gals: Let us review this to see what went wrong.

Two days later...

Guys and gals: Nope, it's working just as we want it to! Perfect! 

Trinton: Hey, but the parameters say...

Guys and gals: Don't worry about the parameters. They're revised in the Fall Update. Besides, the parameters are just for the pilot. All we care about is that it works.

I think it would go more like this....

Trinton - People, the natives are getting restless and they are talking legal and now that interloper Ina has gotten involved, I need to tell them something - my boyish charm is not cutting it today with most of them.

Heads of appropriate departments -  Yeah, they must have found our new program before it was done and we got around to telling them about it - AGAIN!  Darn them, they are persistent.  We need a new trendy sounding buzzword that will impress them into confusion to blow them off with.   What have you been calling it?

Trinton - I've been going with the old stand by, test.  That way it sounds official but not permanent.  Did you guys know that you hadn't changed the wording in the policy AND the emails.  Man, they are really honked off about that.  Even some of the cheerleaders are carrying pitchforks now.

HOADs - We were getting around to it.  There is just no pleasing the community - they complain when we change policy - they complain when we don't.  What do they want from us?

Trinton - The consensus is they want you guys to stop changing things all the time.  They sort of have a point, I can't keep up with most of it myself.

HOADs - What??!  How will we be able to justify our jobs and keep skimming those huge paychecks?  We have to change things, it's our job, sellers aren't the only ones that are replaceable, you know.

Trinton - I know.  I still am amazed they pay me to hang out on Facebook all day.  Speaking of....this is really cutting into my FB time.  What do I tell them to make them to go away?

HOADs - Just tell them that it's gone away and we are fixing it.  They will think they forced us to do something and get off our backs.  That will give us time to get the upgrades in the wording done.

Trinton - Isn't that extreme?

HOADs - You didn't think we'll shut the whole thing down, did ya?  We have to pull it for a short time - the program worked too well, we have to put some glitches in it so we can say we are fixing those while we back door some other changes int the program.

Trinton - OK, I'll say that it's been pulled for the time being.  I'm getting good at laying it on thick.  But what do you want me to call it?  I am going to need something good to make this train wreck go away.

HOADs - Ooooo, train wreck, that might be something we can work with.  Let's see, conductor, engineer, caboose, nope, that sounds too harsh.  We have to be careful about name choice, they really made fun of Cassini.   What other good disasters can we borrow words from?   Ah - ha, plane crash, debris strewn everywhere- the pilot is responsible, call it pilot.   The new buzzword will lull them into a false sense of security and telling them that it is being pulled will give them a sense of power.  Sort of like the feeling a noobie gets when they select no returns.

Trinton - That sounds like a plan.  I'll say the right things in a soothing tone and then hang out at the beach for the long weekend and something else should draw their attention away while I'm gone a few days.

HOADs - Well, we got the see description link ready to go.

Everyone - Let's do it....Thundercats Ho!

(*Bleep*)
Message 605 of 714
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

These are hidden policies, and there's no two ways about it. It's simply a dirtbag move on eBay's part, and just another eBay move, to step farther away from supporting it's merchants in order too woo more buyers.

Message 606 of 714
latest reply

Interestingly enough, I had an INR myself today and when I went to view the case details one of my selections was guess what? Enter tracking #

Now why would that be there if eBay could already see I had tracking (as I use eBay labels) as trinton claimed?

My take is that when Trinton stated that tracking doesn't need to be uploaded in INRs, that it's already in the system and visible to the bots, he was careful to omit the qualifier "for INRs in the test". Didn't see where he ever stated or implied that that was ever the case for regular INR's. (someone correct me if I missed something)

Message 607 of 714
latest reply

I think maybe they meant hassle free returns?

Oxymoron?

Message 608 of 714
latest reply

During the big Seller Purge just before Thanksgiving 2013, I learned two things. This was when Rich Matsuura was in charge of the Seller Protection Department and he and seller_protection_guy, another Blue, were scrambling reviewing cases and getting sellers who never should have been booted reinstated. Sellers were suddenly getting booted right and left for "too many open cases" as well as for stupid stuff like violations that occurred years earlier. Suddenly it seemed that accumulations of seemingly unrelated things were getting sellers booted for no logical explanation. "A glitch!", they cried.

Several months later, what actually happened became clear. This, too, was a 'pilot'... for the defect system announced the following spring.

The two things I learned were as follows:

1. On eBay, when it comes to damaging seller accounts, today's 'glitch' truly is  tomorrow's 'policy', and

2. Any office labeled as "Seller Protection" that actually protects sellers is going to be the office located closest to the door.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 609 of 714
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
Interestingly enough, I had an INR myself today and when I went to view the case details one of my selections was guess what? Enter tracking #

Now why would that be there if eBay could already see I had tracking (as I use eBay labels) as trinton claimed?

I wasn't willing to take one for the team and NOT enter it as my widget was for considerably more than .99, so I'm sorry I can't clarify whether you have to or not.

Oh, and when I called to get the case closed after uploading tracking (shouldn't it kind of close automically once delivery is verified?) the robo system told me I didn't have to do anything else and could just wait for the case to close (yeah right, not happening baby)

As I've said a number of times...The system doesn't work the way Trinton and some of the members here think it does. There is no such thing as AI on eBay. If the system wants your tracking re-uploaded...you better be available to do it 24/7. Because if your not, we might be seeing you going down the River without a paddle, so that you can sell your stuff there.

Message 610 of 714
latest reply

@badwolf12 wrote:

@missjen316 wrote:

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

@badwolf12

Directing this reply at you because I'm lazy today too.

So...if a seller is enrolled in Managed Returns, do INR's get funneled there for any kind of automated resolution? I'm not enrolled, I was just wondering.

I don't think managed returns exists anymore.  

I think maybe they meant hassle free returns?

That's what I thought because managed returns was replaced with hassle free returns but correct me if I am wrong, but I think hassle free is no more. Everything is automated whether you accept returns or not, ever since eBay changed up the resolution center and add big blue "cancel" and "return" buttons on the purchase history next to each transaction. When the seller sets up their return policy they can choose to accept them manually or automatically. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 611 of 714
latest reply

Are you Trinton's appointed spokesperson now?

No I'm not, but what has that got to do with anything.  Like many of us do from time to time, you just misunderstood what was being chatted about.  It happens, it is no big deal.  I was merely trying to help you better understand, nothing more.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 612 of 714
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:

@ymeagainlord

My last INR was exactly the same. Uploaded tracking number and a copy/paste of the buyer's Paypal address.  Called. Ebay CS flat out refused to close in my favor while on the phone. Three calls over two days. I was told to wait for the case to close. The buyer found the package misdelivered to a neighbor and closed it themselves.

Moo, the CSR I spoke with sent me to the Escalation Team (which I assume opened a case, as the resolution centre shows -I- opened a case) and they told me blah blah yada yada, give it 2-3 days. I refused to hang up & kept her on the phone until I saw it come up as closed.

I do notice the case says found in my favour, and says case closed by CSR.

I don't recall it ever saying that before (the by CSR part)

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 613 of 714
latest reply

@moo*cow*corner wrote:
Yes, hassle free returns. Sorry for any confusion.

I think mangled returns described them better anyway....

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 614 of 714
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Are you Trinton's appointed spokesperson now?

No I'm not, but what has that got to do with anything.  Like many of us do from time to time, you just misunderstood what was being chatted about.  It happens, it is no big deal.  I was merely trying to help you better understand, nothing more.

Sooooo tempted but I'm fairly certain georg can handle this one.

Off to the links now and then the wee wild boys are coming to spend the night and go to the big pool party here tomorrow and my packages (some excellent $$$ sales) are ready to be mailed today and I won't look at ebay again until maybe tomorrow night if I'm not too wore out - life is good.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 615 of 714
latest reply