cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer didn't read the description

I am an artist and I sell artwork.I recently sold a graphite pencil drawing of a Chanel no 5 bottle. The picture I uploaded is of my artwork and the description clearly states it's artwork and the type of material used and of course dimension.The buyer receives the package and messages me that she didn't recieve what she had ordered.I assume she expected to receive a real bottle of Chanel???This has never happened to me.It's beyond weird.How can anybody be that confused?I expect she will want a refund.I don't accept returns because if the artwork is torn or stained it becomes useless.I am not sure how to handle this.

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

@atikovi wrote:

OP  is selling drawings of many famous people, Marilyn Monroe, Lucille Ball, Carrie Fisher, etc. Don't you need permission from these people or their families to profit off their images?

If that were the case every magazine or webpage that used their photo or likeness would need permission. Not to mention the fact that many of them are dead.

Message 16 of 65
latest reply

HI,This happens to many sellers and you have to treat buyers with kid gloves sometimes,the new law states you have to offer a 30 return policy,contact ebay support and they be able to help more. has a seller you will have loads of weird happen you just have deal with it keep your chin up and wait for next sale.
Message 17 of 65
latest reply

Ron - there is no law that a seller has to offer 30 day returns - a seller can offer No Returns, 14 day, 30 day, or 60 day. Ebay prefers a seller offer 30-60 day returns but it is perfectly fine to not accept remorse returns and this is what it is.

The 30 day law I believe you're referring to is the 30 day Money Back Guarentee for Item Not as Described returns - which every seller is subject to - but this item was described correctly in both the title and description as well as being in the right category.

To the above poster - I can't remember who - I can still use filters to the left hand side of the page to get to specific categories - not sure if it's different on the mobile app - but that just means buyers have to be more responsible and read.

Ep - we constantly help sellers better their titles and descriptions and one of the first rules is use those 1st 4 keywords wisely - the OP did just that - it's up to buyers to filter and read. 

Message 18 of 65
latest reply

@holm_adri wrote:

I am an artist and I sell artwork.I recently sold a graphite pencil drawing of a Chanel no 5 bottle. The picture I uploaded is of my artwork and the description clearly states it's artwork and the type of material used and of course dimension.The buyer receives the package and messages me that she didn't recieve what she had ordered.I assume she expected to receive a real bottle of Chanel???This has never happened to me.It's beyond weird.How can anybody be that confused?I expect she will want a refund.I don't accept returns because if the artwork is torn or stained it becomes useless.I am not sure how to handle this.

I get that type of buyer every now and then, who leave FB comments such  as "smaller than I expected, wanted larger".   It' not going to get any larger than the 1/4 inch size it's described as!   Their lack of comprehension reflects on them, not my description. 

previously known as boardnpostsid
Message 19 of 65
latest reply

@holm_adri wrote:

The buyer receives the package and messages me that she didn't recieve what she had ordered.I assume she expected to receive a real bottle of Chanel?

We don't really know the nature of the complaint.

Were they expecting a real fluid filled glass bottle?  Or a different sized picture?  A picture in color?  Have you asked the buyer any questions?  Have they opened a return request or other complaint?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 20 of 65
latest reply

She isn't confused she is just a scammer.

Message 21 of 65
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

Lots of conclusions being jumped to.

Message 22 of 65
latest reply

@holm_adri wrote:

Really need an answer to the question "didn't receive what she ordered". Maybe she received a rock. 

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 23 of 65
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

You are jumping to a conclusion about me jumping to conclusions.

Message 24 of 65
latest reply

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

You are jumping to a conclusion about me jumping to conclusions.

Okay, then how did your reach that conclusion?  I will retract the jump part.

Message 25 of 65
latest reply

@holm_adri wrote:

Ask this buyer what were they excepting, if the buyer writes back they were expecting a real bottle of Chanel, if a return case is opened, you should win.   At this point, you really have no idea what this buyer means by:  she didn't recieve what she ordered.    Get this buyer to be more specific.   If the buyer never responds to your question; stop communicationing with them unless or until she open a case.   

Good luck

Message 26 of 65
latest reply

I looked at your art and you have some beautiful pieces! I don't see how anyone could be confused but I will add this: I was selling vintage advertising and I stated  clearly it was a PAPER ADVERTISEMENT, with the dimensions, etc. I even put in BLOCK LETTERS that what the buyer is getting is a PAPER ADVERTISEMENT, NOT THE ITEM PICTURED. You can see where this is going right? Customer wanted a refund because they thought they were getting an old Walkman (if someone doesn't know what that is, you know what to do). I'm not sure eBay handles this but my guess? They will side with the customer. Good luck! 

Message 27 of 65
latest reply

No,she hasn't opened a case yet.She replied that she did expect a real bottle of perfume and she wanted me to refund.Then she send a second message saying that if I wanted to she can send the artwork back.In other words she's hoping I can tell her she can keep the artwork and get the refund.
Message 28 of 65
latest reply

Your buyer is either a total idiot or a scammer.  

Message 29 of 65
latest reply

@vettenoodle wrote:

Your buyer is either a total idiot or a scammer.  

not either, both.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 30 of 65
latest reply