cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, November 20 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Join the Community team here at 1 PM PT on November 20th for our Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a set topic this week, so please bring any general questions you may have on buying or selling.

The chat will be open for questions from 1-2 pm PT, at which point we'll close thread. While no additional questions can be submitted after this time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that may still be unanswered.

If you're new to the chat, welcome! Simply Reply to this post with your question from 1-2 PM Pacific Time and we'll be happy to help!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: Community Chat, November 20 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

>>I see a charge of $7 for "Advanced listing upgrade fees" and a savings of $6.48

>>for same. I was not aware of using any "Advanced listing upgrade fees" last month.
>>What gives? 

Hi @vrykalak,

>You were charged some Gallery Plus fees in October. However, this optional
>upgrade is free in some categories. In these categories the feature is added
>automatically since it's free. However, there were three listings that had
>Gallery Plus that were not in one of the free categories. There was also a
>listing with the Bold Listing Fee. These fees account for the $7 you are seeing.
---

Since I always check before listing or relisting everything,
to be sure the listing fee is $0.00,
and I have never in my 15+ years selling on eBay manually
selected Gallery Plus or Bold on a listing
these charges must have arisen when GTC items renewed.

That means eBay added those features when renewing a listing,
and I had no way to know about it.

I want those charges refunded, for last month, and any other
month since mandatory GTC started, if such charges were on
my invoice.

Message 31 of 81
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

@greg213213 wrote:

Ending today is where I am seeing it and it changes numbers throughout the day. This has been going on for almost 2 weeks. Others on the boards have also made comments about this inconsistency.

it looks like they are using 24 hours as "today"  from what I can see.

Yes. Much the same way they think a "monthly" sales total is the last 31 days

Message 32 of 81
latest reply

I understand eBay is collecting the sales tax and paying this on our behalf.   I spoke with paypal and they informed me that the sales tax amount will be shown as income on our Paypal 1099K.   Speaking with Harry Tempkin in New York he said the tax would not be reported as income with Managed Payments 1099K.   

Will we get some kind of tax document from eBay showing the tax you paid on our behalf?  

I need to offset the income show on my Paypal 1099K as it really is not income.

Message 33 of 81
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
I think this issue was brought up last week, if not here, then on another Board. This issue still persists. I have one day handling time on my listings. While I sometimes do ship same day, MOST of my sales are shipped next business day. Problem is, ebay is showing some of my listings as "same day shipping" I spoke with Concierge about this, and I have been told it is a known glitch. She assured me that, behind the scenes (so to speak) ebay recognizes that I have one day handling, and as long as I meet that standard, I won't be penalized for late handling. She even stated that, if a buyer would give me a neg because I did not ship same day, ebay would remove it. All of that is reassuring in terms of my seller standing, BUT.....buyers are still being misinformed, which is NOT a good buyer experience.

Any ETA on when this glitch will be resolved?

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques - This is something that brian@ebay has been working with tech to get addressed and resolved. There's no current ETA but I'll make sure that your account is added to the open ticket - will you get me an example item number or two to include too? Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 34 of 81
latest reply

There was lively discussion on the boards recently about eBay labels. 

Can you confirm that labels are a profit cent for eBay or that the money flows through to Pitney Bowes and the shippers?  i.e.  do eBay have more of a discount than the Commercial rates they give  to sellers?

What is eBay doing to help smaller sellers that do no qualify for shipping discounts with FedEx or UPS?  Is see your competition is building its own fleet for delivery and often thus able to do 1 or 2 day delivery. How can eBay remain viable in the long run with ever increasing shipping costs for sellers as the small guys get priced out of the market? 

Message 35 of 81
latest reply

@maxoptical wrote:

I understand eBay is collecting the sales tax and paying this on our behalf.   I spoke with paypal and they informed me that the sales tax amount will be shown as income on our Paypal 1099K.   Speaking with Harry Tempkin in New York he said the tax would not be reported as income with Managed Payments 1099K.   

Will we get some kind of tax document from eBay showing the tax you paid on our behalf?  

I need to offset the income show on my Paypal 1099K as it really is not income.

FYI

1099K's do NOT show "income".  That is not for Ebay or PP to determine.  What the 1099 shows is Gross Receipts which is what IRS requires them to show.  Gross Receipts to not = income.  You will see on the Schedule C that there are appropriate places to subtract taxes and other costs from the Gross Receipts to arrive at your Gross Income.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 36 of 81
latest reply

The October seller protection policy also stated that false "item not as described" claims that were reported by top rated sellers would be automatically removed from service metrics. I asked this question a couple of months back on a community chat and you guys confirmed this. 

Right now it's looking like that's not the case. Two buyers reported for abusing "item not as described" claims, and these have not fallen off service metrics. 

Did you guys change the October policy already? Please clarify.

Thanks. 

Message 37 of 81
latest reply

tyler,

Thanks. here's an item number: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163951541557

I believe the Concierge already put me on the ticket.

Message 38 of 81
latest reply

It is under the listings section and where it says "ending today" I am seeing 25 but there are none when I click on that tab. As I stated before, this number changes throughout the day. This morning it was 35 and a few items were ended, but now it states 25 and there are none.

Message 39 of 81
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

Ever since mandatory GTC started, I check my listings every morning to see what time the first one that ends that day is actually ending. Then I try to get to my computer comfortably before that time to end it. On occasion, I arrived too late, and some had already relisted.

Sunday night (11/3), I got there 15 minutes before the first two should have relisted...and they were already done. It was then 4.55pm, and they said they had relisted at 6:02pm (383189663597) and 6:03pm (383189665635).
Mandatory GTC is bad enough, but jumping the gun like this is really appalling.

Hi @vrykalak, I looked at these two examples and it appears that they both renewed exactly 1 month after they successfully were published to the site. I'm not sure what information you are using as a point of reference for the start time, but item 383189663597 started on October 4, 2019 at 6:02 PM and item 383189665635 started on October 4, 2019 at 6:03 PM. This is actually more than a month from the time you created the listings, as both were created almost 24 hours prior. Since listings can take up to 24 hours to index into our site and become visible, the renewal clock won't start until your listing becomes visible on eBay. 

The point is: I checked in at 4:55, and these two items had ALREADY RELISTED, and said they HAD relisted (past tense) more than an hour in the future.

Message 40 of 81
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@gwzcomps wrote:
What meaningful action is eBay taking to deal with false claims? Also dealing with buyers making multiple accounts to circumvent blocks and site policies? Why does it seem like buyers are allowed to run wild. Do the higher ups understand that unhappy sellers also equals bad experience for buyers?

Hi @gwzcomps, we recently implemented enhanced Seller Protections for Top Rated Sellers. One of these protections includes returns where buyers claim a false Not As Described. Once the item has been returned, Top Rated Sellers can report the buyer for a false claim. Reporting the buyer will result in the seller receiving a $6 credit on their invoice to help subsidize the return shipping cost. 

Reporting the buyer also helps us identify members who abuse the Money Back Guarantee program. We encourage sellers to report buyers that abuse this process (such as reporting false Not As Described claims) so we have the information we need to take action on abusive buyers. If a buyer is attempting to circumvent a sellers block buyer list then they should contact customer service to report the situation. Customer service can take action on buyers that circumvent seller blocks. 

Thanks, but I am aware of the current options for returns.  Those don't help us prevent unnecessary losses though.  If anything give sellers a way to restrict buyers with high return rates from buying from us.  Like a buyer requirements option.  Sadly most of these returns would be avoidable if the buyers were required to read the listings. 

As for people using multiple accounts I have talked with CS multiple times.  Nothing is being done.  I have had people use 4-10 accounts to try to buy from me.  Some of said accounts have supposedly been removed from the site, but most of them haven't been.  The more I dig through my records the more I realize how many blocked linked accounts are buying from me.  This is becoming a serious problem.

Message 41 of 81
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Concerning the "final" notice on the IS problems....  Since they "will be finished" fixing in the next few weeks......how are we supposed to figure out WHEN everything is fixed.......so we can report problems that we still see?

For example, when you list a women's top with size type Juniors- when eBay removed the "all categories" sizing they retained all of the numerical sizes but removed all of the letter sizes. This needs to be fixed.

Message 42 of 81
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@maxoptical wrote:

I have an issue were every one of my 4000 listings have Local Pick Up as a option but I don't have this enabled in my shipping policy.   I have tried changing shipping policies and my listings always show this option.  I don't offer local pick up and I need this removed.

Hi @maxoptical, I recommend you review your Business Policies as it does appear you have some unused and potentially outdated policies set up. Once you've cleaned up these policies and resolved any errors, try revising the listing and removing the related shipping policy, then applying it again after this revision has been completed. If you are still running into trouble, I recommend you create a new listing from scratch for this product to eliminate the issue you are running into.

Message 43 of 81
latest reply

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques I am subscribed to the eBay YouTube channel and will strive to update when a video is posted. Where would you like to see these updates?

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
Hi Doug, Last week, after the five PM cut off, you said:

"Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques I do see your point and the team can discuss it. I think the fact of the matter is that the Community is not considered a marketing channel, and the marketing team focuses certain assets elsewhere, where they will have the biggest impact. We're a peer to peer support community not a marketing channel."

Sure, I get that marketing isn't your job. But you would NOT be marketing to us. You'd be INFORMING us about ebay's marketing efforts. Two different things.

So, hopefully, you guys will give us a heads up when videos go live....

Message 44 of 81
latest reply

I am having an issue were I can't apply a rate table to my shipping profiles.  The option to add the rate table is missing.  I can see and create new rate tables I just can not apply them to my shipping policies.

This had been working for me but now all of sudden the option is missing when I modify the shipping policy.

How do I fix this?

Message 45 of 81
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: