Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen

Anyone else having this issue ? Thanks 

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Black screen

I am also having this issue, just black in the description area.  I reduced the size from 100% to 25% and was able to see .  Very annoying.

Message 46 of 56
latest reply

The relevant issue has been identified on the Chromium / Chrome 76 bug sites and is under review.

If you are experiencing the black box on the listing description in Chrome or a Chromium-based version 76 browser then you can help make the concern known by logging into the Chromium bug site clicking the "Star" icon in the top-left to show your confirmation of the issue.

DO NOT GO TO THE BUG SITE AND POST ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY YOU ARE LOSING OR WHY THEY "NEED TO FIX THIS ASAP". In many cases the developers on these projects are volunteers and will not respond well to whining. Instead, simply clicking the star icon will cast your vote on the concern without igniting a storm of useless banter.

If you are a buyer/viewer seeing a black box over a listing description, then temporarily adjusting your Chrome zoom level down 1 or more times (Ctrl + Mouse Wheel Down OR Ctrl and - on the keyboard OR go to Settings -> Zoom and click -) should allow you to remove the black box at a lower zoom, assuming the description section isn't huge. If it's huge then you'll have to upgrade to Chrome 77 beta or use Firefox or another browser.

If you're a seller and your concern is buyers not being able to read your description due to the black box overlaying your description, then read comments by me above about potential workarounds by decreasing the vertical height of the description.

Everyone here is volunteering their time, so complaining here or on the Chromium board is a waste of time. So, cast your "star" vote as mentioned above.

Message 47 of 56
latest reply

"the Core" on the Chrome forums says Chrome 77 is supposed to start rolling out on Sept 10th.  A number of folks have confirmed the beta of Chrome 77 doesn't have the black box issue.

This could be good news because most people who have the bug are likely on an auto-updating Chrome device so the update should apply for those users relatively soon on and after Sept 10th.

Chrome volunteer "the Core", and others, have been trying to confirm the bug and fix with the Chromi..., so hopefully we'll also get confirmation that the issue and fix in Chrome 77 is known so the issue is less likely to sneak back in. 

Message 48 of 56
latest reply

The Chromium development team believes this issue is related to a GPU / video card bug. There may be a related fix already in the latest "Canary" build of Google Chrome.

They need more confirmation that the latest version has fixed the issue.  This is likely best for folks who are comfortable with installing and uninstalling software and knowing the difference between the Canary copy and the main/stable copy.

You will be installing a second copy of Chrome on your device and you can test against that version

You will NEED TO TEST MULTIPLE TIMES (test, close the browse, re-open the browser, and test again).

You can then report feedback on the Chromium bug forum. Again, the majority of the people fixing issues are volunteers, so "fix this ASAP. I'm losing money" comments are counter-productive.

Message 49 of 56
latest reply

yes i am in some of my ads i thought it was an auctiva prob so changed templete  thinking it was a bad temp..and still same prob on a templete that i used that worked...   some friends of family see black others dont..

2 i asked are on phones...  one was black the other didnt..

Im trying to list and view on a laptop... black on 50% of ads...  

so made im spitting lol then a shelf and a cloth bar of stock fell

good thing the smile is painted on..

kind regards sparkles the clown.. 

ps let me know if you figure it out on this post.. 

i even tried to clear cache.. cookies ect... 

Message 50 of 56
latest reply

before you try 6 hrs of a million solutions.. ( like i just did ) auctiva wrote and said due to updates in chrome... for some reason if you bring your viewer down .... sometime the image will undue and come into view... and not a big black screen in description area.... worked for me. but im disgusted at how much time i spent on it ..... good luck
Message 51 of 56
latest reply

before you try 6 hrs of a million solutions.. ( like i just did % .. sometime the image will undue and come into view... and not a big black screen in description area.... worked for me. but im disgusted at how much time i spent on it ..... good luck

Message 52 of 56
latest reply

before you try 6 hrs of a million solutions.. ( like i just did from 110% . magnify to 100% . sometime the image will  come into view... and not a big black screen in description area.... worked for me. but im disgusted at how much time i spent on it ..... good luck

Message 53 of 56
latest reply

Via "the Core" @ the Chrome forum.

The black boxes issue on large iFrames is fixed (see issue 996247) in Chrome 77.

A new issue occurs: the last pixels of images are smeared down in long iFrames as reported in this bug: Issue 1003559: The smearing / stretching issue is already fixed in Chrome 78 (Beta) and higher and should come to the current version of Chrome very soon.  If you're seeing the smearing then go to Issue 1003559, login and click the "star" in the top-left corner to confirm you're seeing that issue.

Chrome 77 updates should have come to many users already, or will on the next update. Most people who saw this issue in Chrome 76 would have been on the auto-update, so they should also get the fix quickly.

Thanks to everyone here, on the Chrome forum (hat tip "the Core"), and to the Chromium bug fixers. 

Message 54 of 56
latest reply

Hello, I never had the black box issue, but I have just started a thread regarding the appearance of a double vertical scrollbar in chrome, and someone suggested these two issues may be connected.

It appears chrome browser has started rendering eBay descriptions to a max height of 4000. For any that are longer, double vertical scrollbars have started to appear in listings viewed on chrome browser pc. It makes it very difficult to scroll though the listing, as you have to use both scroll bars intermediately several times to move down the page

And on on my chrome for android (desktop view) the listing body is now segmented with blank missing sections of the description, which then reappear if zoomed in.

I have looked at the example listings shown in this thread, and they are now rendering with double scrollbars.

One of my own listings is here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223560316981?

Inspection of the eBay iframe on chrome says <iframe id="desc_ifr" style="" class="" width="1161" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" src="https://vi.vipr.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&amp;item=223560316981&amp;t=15655778690..." title="Seller's description of item" height="4000"></iframe>

My desktop Version of chrome is 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit).

The thread I started "Double vertical scrollbars have appeared in chrome, and content missing in android chrome." is here: -

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Technical-Issues/Double-vertical-scrollbars-have-appeared-in-chrome-...

Is anyone who experienced the black box issue in chrome now seeing a double scrollbar on those listings, or missing sections android desktop view?

Thanks, John.

Message 55 of 56
latest reply

I used to also until the recent updates to the Chrome browser. The issues seems it was with Chrome, and did not effect other browsers.
Message 56 of 56
latest reply