cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't sellers leave feedback anymore?

Bought a few things in the last month, or so, and I'm leaving feedback, but the sellers aren't. Does ebay no longer value feedback?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Why don't sellers leave feedback anymore?

@stubbornoaf 

@stubbornoaf wrote:

Are you sure?

I agree that Ebay has no official benefits there. But are you sure it's meaningless?

Socially, I've found etiquette to be very impactful. Treat others the way you want to be treated, sort of thing. 

I suppose if doing things only when they obviously benefit you is the route you want to take in life...but you can't be really be disappointed when others treat you the same, as if they only value you when you benefit them.

I suppose if a buyer craves praise, it might be meaningful for them.

But if you really think about it, what is the buyer positive feedback for? What exactly has the buyer done, other than pay as required? It just boils down to the seller thanking them for their purchase...like when you go to the grocery store and the clerk says "thank you" as you leave.

I purchase items on Ebay, not feedback.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@*lady*madonna* wrote:

But if you really think about it, what is the buyer positive feedback for? What exactly has the buyer done, other than pay as required? It just boils down to the seller thanking them for their purchase...like when you go to the grocery store and the clerk says "thank you" as you leave.

Sounds a bit cynical to me, but if that's how you choose to see the world, that's your choice.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

This is my second account. The first account I deleted when I stopped using it for an extended period of time. Seemed like a security risk to have an account that could commit to purchases when I wasn't actually using it. Mind you, this was before the 2-step verification option.

First account was back when ebay was new-ish, though I don't recall the precise year. Probably late 90s or early 2000s

I guess I'm remembering ebay things that used to be...

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@stubbornoaf wrote:

This is my second account. The first account I deleted when I stopped using it for an extended period of time. Seemed like a security risk to have an account that could commit to purchases when I wasn't actually using it. Mind you, this was before the 2-step verification option.

First account was back when ebay was new-ish, though I don't recall the precise year. Probably late 90s or early 2000s

I guess I'm remembering ebay things that used to be...

I've been a member continuously since 1996. I remember lots of things that were different back then. I remember you could leave feedback for anyone, whether you'd been in a transaction with them or not. I remember when sellers could leave negative feedback for buyers and the **bleep** for tat negs that engendered. What I don't remember is ever feeling like a seller owed me feedback as a thank you. As a matter of fact, I've never paid that much attention to my feedback received. I leave feedback for sellers, because that feedback can actually be used for something. But I care not one whit whether sellers leave me feedback, because I don't have any need for that kind of constant stroking. I've left far more feedback than I've received. That fact has never kept me up at night.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Everything under the sun is purchased online.

Every selling venue wants buyers to give feedback of some sort, and sends them numerous emails requesting such for the item XXX (Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon)...it is as annoying as the phone calls from Solicitors. 

People will ONLY complain (neg feedback). That's the way of the world. Nothing personal. 

Message 20 of 23
latest reply

I will no longer give positive feedback to a seller who does not leave feedback in return.  I will not give negative feedback, but I will give a deserved neutral feedback stating that their lack of feedback is the reason

Message 21 of 23
latest reply

@pache11 wrote:

I will no longer give positive feedback to a seller who does not leave feedback in return.  I will not give negative feedback, but I will give a deserved neutral feedback stating that their lack of feedback is the reason

@pache11 

Leaving feedback is OPTIONAL, no one ever has to leave it. A seller does NOT deserve neutral feedback just because they CHOOSE not to leave feedback, and they have the right to do so.

Many sellers do not leave feedback because leaving feedback for buyers is meaningless since buyers can only receive positive feedback.

There is nothing special you can do with 265 feedbacks than 264 feedbacks.

Are you buying items or feedback?

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 22 of 23
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 23 of 23
latest reply