cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why don't sellers leave feedback anymore?

Bought a few things in the last month, or so, and I'm leaving feedback, but the sellers aren't. Does ebay no longer value feedback?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@stubbornoaf wrote:

Second is the looming threat of negative feedback. If they aren't giving feedback, there should be something where they opt out of feedback, rather than leaving the question unanswered.

As was stated, sellers can only leave positives to buyers, which makes the whole exercise moot and only a waste of time.  The worst buyers that defraud sellers and continually no-pay have the exact same feedback as those that pay promptly and give the seller no other problem.  Ebay even recognizes this and gives the option to automate buyer feedback on the site to sellers.

So ultimately:

1) The transaction is completed when the item is paid for by the buyer and  delivered by the seller in satisfactory condition reflected in the listing.

2) "The looming threat of negative feedback" is only important from the seller end, as buyers can leave negative feedback for sellers.  Sellers can not under any circumstances give negative feedback to buyers.  So on this angle, the point is a moot one.

3) There's no "etiquette" or requirement for anyone to give any kind of feedback.  I get maybe a 20% feedback rate as a seller, and much less as a buyer (when automation is considered).  While I admit it's hard to get used to as there are consequences for it on a seller end, "no feedback" is usually good news as a seller.

Honestly put, the only real consequence any kind of seller to buyer feedback serves on this site is as you put it "ego padding".  Most are going to be happy enough to see the money or the product than any feedback, to be honest.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I will tell you that as a long time buyer / seller and with the way eBay has changed the feedback options over the last few years, as a seller I do not leave feedback until the buyer does. There's no incentive nor benefit. As I buyer, I typically leave feedback within a day or two of receiving the item unless it's something I have to install to make sure it works/functions but I am the mercy of the seller to leave feedback once I do.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

How has eBay changed the feedback options over the last few years?  

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

eBay has not valued FB ever since they decided that buyers can only receive positives.  Many sellers decided "why bother" at that point.  What "value" could possibly be placed on feedback under those circumstances?  

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@stubbornoaf 

I have seen where eBay states that feedback for a buyer is saying thank you for the purchase.

My packing slip thanks the buyer.

A buyer receiving feedback is meaningless.

May I ask......................  why do you need that (+) feedback from a seller?

I buy something from wally dot com................  they email me a thank you for my order..............   there is no publicly posted feedback saying what a wonderful person I am for paying for the items that I want 🙂

To answer your question. Feedback to a seller is important. It shows other buyers what experience may be expected from a seller.

That buyer positive(all that can be left) feedback is generally of no value although some do get flagged as a problem when they do bad things. (not within eBay policy, but sometimes it is done)

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

I'm a buyer and seller as well. As buyer, the most time-consuming and hardest thing to do is how fast I pay for item, with instant payment, it takes a matter of seconds. How difficult is that. Other than that, buyers can ask numerous questions, or press seller for quick handling/delivery of item, which sometimes is out of control of seller (delivery)

A seller, has to package good properly in order to be delivered efficiently, communicate with buyer if applicable, and hope no claims. 

Sellers tend to have more steps and things to lose than a buyer. 

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

A few reasons, I suppose.

First, I don't really regard the transaction as completed in my mind, until all the little boxes in the "purchase history" are checked (Paid, shipped, feedback left, feedback received). And I know better to make further purchases from said sellers until the previous transactions are complete.

Second is the looming threat of negative feedback. If they aren't giving feedback, there should be something where they opt out of feedback, rather than leaving the question unanswered.

Third, it's ebay etiquette. Like smiling when you greet someone, or saying thank you when someone holds the door for you. No, they aren't absolutely necessary, but it's polite.

So, it's not the end of the world, and I don't need the ego padding, if that's what you think. But I consider it rude and I certainly wouldn't buy further things from someone that hasn't bothered to complete the current transaction.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

@stubbornoaf 

There are no special benefits that come with feedback as a buyer. It is meaningless.

*lady*madonna*
Volunteer Ebay Community Mentor

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

It’s become increasingly difficult and convoluted to leave feedback. It’s not as straightforward as it used to be. 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Are you sure?

I agree that Ebay has no official benefits there. But are you sure it's meaningless?

Socially, I've found etiquette to be very impactful. Treat others the way you want to be treated, sort of thing. 

I suppose if doing things only when they obviously benefit you is the route you want to take in life...but you can't be really be disappointed when others treat you the same, as if they only value you when you benefit them.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@stubbornoaf wrote:

As was stated, sellers can only leave positives to buyers, which makes the whole exercise moot and only a waste of time.  The worst buyers that defraud sellers and continually no-pay have the exact same feedback as those that pay promptly and give the seller no other problem.  Ebay even recognizes this and gives the option to automate buyer feedback on the site to sellers.

So ultimately:

1) The transaction is completed when the item is paid for by the buyer and  delivered by the seller in satisfactory condition reflected in the listing.

2) "The looming threat of negative feedback" is only important from the seller end, as buyers can leave negative feedback for sellers.  Sellers can not under any circumstances give negative feedback to buyers.  So on this angle, the point is a moot one.

3) There's no "etiquette" or requirement for anyone to give any kind of feedback.  I get maybe a 20% feedback rate as a seller, and much less as a buyer (when automation is considered).  While I admit it's hard to get used to as there are consequences for it on a seller end, "no feedback" is usually good news as a seller.

Honestly put, the only real consequence any kind of seller to buyer feedback serves on this site is as you put it "ego padding".  Most are going to be happy enough to see the money or the product than any feedback, to be honest.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

Simple. 1/2 the buyers don't ever leave feedback. 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

hmm...disagree with the mentality, but looks like that's the answer I'm getting. Thanks.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

You've received 84 and left 88. So it doesn't seem like it's that big of a problem. 

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

"Second is the looming threat of negative feedback."

You appear to have been, so far, only a buyer, not a seller.  So, asking respectfully, what looming threat would that involve in your case?  

Message 15 of 23
latest reply