cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report price gouging?

How do I report hand sanitizer being sold for insane prices? 

Message 1 of 304
latest reply
303 REPLIES 303

on ebay, right? 

On the listing, above the description, is a report listing

Report as item being banned or restricted. 

Message 2 of 304
latest reply

@alwaystubed1   You don't  ... many have asked the same question ... if people want to buy at inflated prices that's their business ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 304
latest reply

Oh, that's only if it's a banned item. If it's just crazy prices on a non-restricted item there's nothing to do. Any seller can put any price on any item as long as it's not in violation. 

Message 4 of 304
latest reply

unless it's a restricted item.

Message 5 of 304
latest reply

@alwaystubed1. staff said that it can be reported as search and browse manipulation.    In the message box say price gouging 

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 6 of 304
latest reply

@alwaystubed1 wrote:

How do I report hand sanitizer being sold for insane prices? 

ebay staff has directed:

When reporting the listing, select these options:
1. Listing practices
2. Search and browse manipulation
3. Other search and browse manipulation
4. "Continue" to open Comment box. ( Coronavirus, COVID-19 )

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 7 of 304
latest reply

2@mr_lincoln wrote:

@alwaystubed1   You don't  ... many have asked the same question ... if people want to buy at inflated prices that's their business ...

@alwaystubed1 

@mr_lincoln 

Hand sanitizer is on eBay's list of banned items. Item listings most certainly can--and should be--reported.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Important-information-about-listings-associated-w...

Due to regulatory restrictions across the United States, we have chosen to ban certain items listed on our site.   

Effective immediately, eBay will block new listings and start to remove listings that sell:

• Masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks
  • Hand Sanitizer/Gel
  • Disinfecting Wipes
Message 8 of 304
latest reply

@alwaystubed1,

There really is not anything to report about any item that is desirable that because of the market is being listed for a well over MSRP price.  It happens all of the time and if someone is willing to pay the price eBay doesn't care. 

Best known examples being the newest video game, or highly sought after toy that in November sells for $450 and is listed on Dec. 22 for $1,100. w/ free overnight shipping. 

eBay's policy on the listing of products related to the virus has more to do with the claims made by a Mfr. or seller about Covid-19 prevention or any other health claim/benefit not substantiated by the FDA, than it does about pricing, though they do have to be aware of individual state laws regarding price gouging, usually associated with a declared crisis.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 9 of 304
latest reply

half way down the listing page on the right side Report Item.

hand sanitizer.JPG

Message 10 of 304
latest reply

Price gouging is illegal.  Yesterday there was an auction for a 2 ounce bottle of Purell Hand Sanitizer that got to $510 before eBay removed the listing

Message 11 of 304
latest reply

Has to be a declared state of emergency before price gouging becomes illegal.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 304
latest reply

It has already been declared here in California by the Governor.  eBay is headquartered in California.

Message 13 of 304
latest reply

@trehar_4,

"It has already been declared here in California by the Governor. eBay is headquartered in California."

True California has declared a state emergency.  However, ebay does not sell any items only space on their site for sellers from around the world.  Sellers listing items located in states/countries that have not declared emergencies are not bound by California law. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 14 of 304
latest reply

@mudshark61369You would be 100% wrong. Stop telling people it is OK to gouge and take advantage of people in a crises. That is what makes Ebay and all it's sellers on the site look bad. OP, definitely report it and don't listen to those who think gouging is OK.
Message 15 of 304
latest reply