cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Given Invalid UPS Tracking Number

I suspect that this seller is trying to scam me, and has provided a UPS tracking number that does not work. He said that he dropped the package off at UPS on Friday. On the eBay tracking page, it just says "Tracking information provided" and nothing else. He has responded to my messages though, saying that it was most likely a delay due to the 4th of July weekend, which sounded reasonable. I figured I'd wait till this morning to make a forum post in case the package was processed this morning, but nothing has been updated.

With this being said, I've heard of scammers using illegitimate tracking numbers before or shipping an empty envelope to a business within the same zip code, and eBay backs them when there is a dispute.  I messaged him again this morning and this is the first time he hasn't replied within an hour or so. I was wondering if there was anything I should do beforehand to help get my money back in case I don't receive the item, as I've also heard of buyers filing INR but eBay backs them since they sent an empty envelope to the same postal code.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It's possible that it just hasn't been scanned yet. I wouldn't worry at this point considering it was dropped on just before the weekend.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Did you try tracking via UPS.COM? Does the tracking # give you any info at all?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I thought so too, and it finally updated and it's being shipped to Washington State (I live in Florida).
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I tried that, and it said no information available.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Just adding some more information on the situation. The UPS tracking number finally works but it's being shipped out to Washington State when I live in Florida. I asked the seller about this, and he didn't respond to that or my previous message. I've heard about the same zip code scams but given that where he is shipping the item (or empty box, envelope, etc.) too is quite literally as far away as can be, I'm not sure what to do.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I'm sorry but you may just be over thinking this. Scammers do exist but they are actually quite rare. May I inquire as to the dollar amount of the item you purchased? 

If your item was just shipped on Friday, and today is the Monday after a major holiday, then it's not that unusual. Shipping is seeing quite a number of strange appearances on tracking due to the covid issue. Many centers are processing with minimal staff and items simply aren't being scanned correctly. I liveon the West Coast and have had items I shipped to a buyer within my own state, but were diverted out of state first. They have all arrived albeit late by a few days if not longer. 

I understand that you live in FL so to you it seems strange to see tracking being diverted to Washington. You need to look at the state where the seller lives. Perhaps there is a logical reason for UPS to first divert your package to Washington before it moves out to FL. It's really too soon to be so concerned and I don't believe there is anything you can do in advance. You cannot open an INR until the date of arrival has passed. 

Try to think positively that all will work out and you'll receive your package just as expected. Keep an eye on the tracking but realize we cannot know how the system works with packages. As long as it is delivered to you when expected then all is good. Seller may have stopped answering your messages if they feel you are sending too many of them. After all, there is nothing much the seller can do at this point. Best of luck to you....

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

The dollar amount of the item was $40. Not a lot, but still enough to be concerned about.

I understand that package can be diverted into Washington, but when I go to the actual tracking page it says that the delivery is being shipped to Bothell, Washington from its origin in West Carrollton, Ohio, and not to my address in Florida. I've had many packages that I've both sent and received seemingly go past the destination, but I know that it always arrives at my address/the receiver's address.

Thank you though, I definitely will try to think positively. It's just a little frustrating since I finally decided to buy from eBay again (my last purchase was from another scammer and decided to stop buying on the site entirely), and the first purchase I make there are a number of red flags. And I've only sent three messages the seller: One asking about the product, and then the other ones that I mentioned in previous posts.

I was just curious if there was anything I could do to get ahead of this to make things easier down the road.

Thanks for your help and take care.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

What a lovely reply. Keep thinking positively that this will work out. I wouldn't want to lose out on $40 myself but a scammer will be more likely to scam someone out of much more money than that. Keep your eye on that deliver by date, that is your key. Stay safe.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply