cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, July 14 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

Re: Community Chat, July 14 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@b86fiero wrote:

Listing Question

I use Sell Similar for some of my items - why reinvent the wheel right?

I am listing new kitchen towels right now.  I use one of my current listings for the same brand and click Sell Similar.  I update the Title, photos, myriad item specifics and description.  

After the listing goes live I check it for accuracy.  For the past few days not all of the item specifics - same or updated or newly added - transfer to the new listing.  For instance, an original listing had 14 item specifics filled out.  Sell Similar new listing created for same brand different design has only 5 item specifics showing.  Some missing specifics not transferring include size, pattern, color, etc.  Important info for buyers.  Why are not all item specifics transferring to the new listing?  

The same has happened when I use Sell Similar to list new bowls and plates.

Thanks for any help you can give. 

@b86fiero hmmm... my guess is that since a large number of Item Specifics were updated in the last few months the listing used for the Sell Similar might have old internal data that can't transfer over to a new listing. If you don't mind sharing the item number of the listing you used for Sell Similar and the new listings item number then I can get it reported in the hopes of getting an answer to this.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 31 of 60
latest reply

@bimmerpc1 wrote:

Following up on tyler@ebay response to this post last week: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-July-7-1-00-pm-PT-General-T...

Tyler asked:

Update: - would you mind getting me an item number example that I can use to do some searching? It will make it simpler for me if I need to end up sending it off to the Seller Hub team. Thanks!

I cannot provide an item number publicly as the URL is seller-specific and requires both a transaction ID and an item number.   I would be happy to offer an example via private messaging.

Hi @bimmerpc1 - I completely respect that. I can't promise I am able to request this information via a private message at this time since we're down a teammate, but this may be a good thing to raise with CS so they can review. The social media team is great to work with!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 32 of 60
latest reply

Brian, you will be missed...thank you for the years you have supported us.

----

With the recent Item Specifics mandate, listings can no longer be edited unless all the mandates are addressed in that edit.

Historically, mandates have generally not prevented listings from auto-renewing (when the seller is in good standing).  They just lower search visibility.

What is the situation with the July 12 mandate?

1) Will non-conforming listings continue to renew so that sellers can address the requirements using available tools? 

2) Or, will eBay deny renewal and allow those listings to end on their renewal date?

The sanity of many sellers will hinge on your answer.

-----

Edit: A reply to your questions can be found here

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 33 of 60
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I've ran into a new issue regarding shipping labels, well new to me.  Yesterday and again today I could not print labels for a couple of items due to the proper shipping method did not show up nor could I get it to.  

The categories the items were listed in are fine for Media Mail, but the option was blocked.  I had other sales in the same categories that I was able to print labels using Media mail.  Any ideas??

Hi @mam98031! I found out about this earlier today when some Canadian members reported it. It's a known tech issue and being worked on currently but they're requesting more details to get to the bottom of it.  

I can add you to the open ticket if you'll get me the following as an example:

Seller ID:
Buyer ID:
Item #:
Screenshot of the error:

Tyler,
eBay
Message 34 of 60
latest reply

That is a good question I have wondered myself.  Why are we limited to 30 days?  We would still be paying our fees regardless of whether we are open or not.  I could have swore eBay cared more out collecting store subscription fees than anything else.

Message 35 of 60
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I've ran into a new issue regarding shipping labels, well new to me.  Yesterday and again today I could not print labels for a couple of items due to the proper shipping method did not show up nor could I get it to.  

The categories the items were listed in are fine for Media Mail, but the option was blocked.  I had other sales in the same categories that I was able to print labels using Media mail.  Any ideas??

Hi @mam98031! I found out about this earlier today when some Canadian members reported it. It's a known tech issue and being worked on currently but they're requesting more details to get to the bottom of it.  

Seller ID:
Buyer ID:
Item #:
Screenshot of the error:

I will email you the information.  I didn't make a note of the two yesterday, but I did today, so I will send you two examples.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 36 of 60
latest reply

@gwzcomps wrote:

Electronics are highly price driven.  This has always been a problem with price lowest first sorting, but has gotten even worse this year.  I understand it may show up other ways, but it doesn't show up the way that matters the most.  It still gets suppressed if I use the other keyword variations.  This isn't my only listing effected either.

@gwzcomps thanks for clarifying that. The listing still appears on the first page in the fifth spot when sorting by price lowest first, so it's definitely still visible to buyers searching this way. However, it will show below items prices lower, which is the intended way a search by lowest price first is designed to work.

The messaging about 'fewer words' is something I can have looked into though. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 37 of 60
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

What is up with all these new members to the Community that have been posting one line posts, dozens at a time.  They are all over the place posting 10, 15, 20 postings to any given thread, especially threads that are already very long.  Going back and responding to posts that are a year old.  And they won't respond to anyone that addresses a posting to them even when tagged.

@mam98031 I haven't noticed this. If you want to tag Tyler and I in a thread with links to examples then we can take a closer look!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 38 of 60
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

To start the chat out, I want to share that I will be joining a different team within eBay, which means I'll be leaving the Community team in the coming weeks. It's bittersweet for sure as I'll miss everyone on the Community and the wonderful team I've worked with for the past several years. I wish everyone the best going forward!

Good luck and very sorry to see you go.

Thanks @donsdetour! I appreciate it 😊

Brian,
Community Team
Message 39 of 60
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

@vrykalak wrote:

I have been meaning to ask: why was "Vacation Mode" deleted, 
being replaced by "time away" which is limited to 30 days?

I asked this last week. The reply I got was a link to the page that explained the change, but didn't answer my question: WHY was this change made?

Hi @vrykalak - moving to 'Time Away' was done to provide the option to all sellers whether or not they had a store subscription. It also allowed the product team to make several updates to it like automatically adjusting handling time, more effectively blocking purchases, and automatically protecting your feedback.

If your question is specifically why the decision was made to set the hard limit as 30 days, I don't have a specific 'because' answer. I can speculate and say that Time Away is intended for short durations, and that if you have a need for extended time away from your listings it would be better for you to consider ending them and relisting when you're ready (up to 90 days). This can save you money in insertion fees and help make sure your listings stay fresh when you return. 

Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 40 of 60
latest reply

Being under "Results matching fewer words" is not the 5th spot.  That is the spot to get people to ignore the listing thinking it isn't relevant to their search.

Message 41 of 60
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@bimmerpc1 wrote:

eBay return shipping labels:

eBay has stopped printing seller-provided RMA numbers on eBay generated return shipping labels.

Can someone please look into why this is happening?

Hi @bimmerpc1 - thanks for letting me know. I'm not certain if this is an intentional change or a tech issue - do you happen to have an item number of a recent return I can grab a screenshot of for shipping?  If not, no worries, I'm just trying to head off the inevitable "we need an example" reply if it's not a change. 😉

No, but I can tell you that the label displays the eBay Order Number and the eBay Return ID in the space that used to contain the seller-provided RMA .  We have seen this on all return labels in the last few weeks.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 42 of 60
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

Brian, you will be missed...thank you for the years you have supported us.

----

With the recent Item Specifics mandate, listings can no longer be edited unless all the mandates are addressed in that edit.

Historically, mandates have generally not prevented listings from auto-renewing (when the seller is in good standing).  They just lower search visibility.

What is the situation with the July 12 mandate?

1) Will non-conforming listings continue to renew so that sellers can address the requirements using available tools? 

2) Or, will eBay deny renewal and allow those listings to end on their renewal date?

The sanity of many sellers will hinge on your answer.

Hi @shipscript - I have not seen any information internally that indicates listings will be put on 'deny renewal' for not having the required specifics. Historically I've seen it work exactly as you describe for months before any 'your listing will not renew' emails are sent. I think that everyone has some time. 

However, that isn't to say that you shouldn't  go through and work on updating listings with the new specifics (staying relevant in search results is a large motivating reason to do so). Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 43 of 60
latest reply

The fees are now just stupid. I got hit with $53.89 in fees on a $265 dollar sale. I think it's time to cue Boyz II Men End of the Road.   

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 44 of 60
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Seller ID:
Buyer ID:
Item #:
Screenshot of the error:

I will email you the information.  I didn't make a note of the two yesterday, but I did today, so I will send you two examples.

Thanks @mam98031 - I'll work on getting to those to get you added. 🙂

Tyler,
eBay
Message 45 of 60
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: