cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, July 14 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

@gwzcomps wrote:

What does eBay have to gain from actively suppressing seller's listings? I know your primary duty is to your shareholders with sellers in last place. Wouldn't the shareholders have more to gain if small businesses were given the same chance to succeed as the larger sellers? Despite my own goals to work away from the site due to your poor treatment of sellers I would think eBay would want to retain good hard working sellers. Maybe I should be grateful eBay is insuring the recent months have been the lowest sales I have seen in the last 10 years. This only strengthens my resolve to leave the site as it is clearly no longer the place to grow business.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=ex3200+ears&_sacat=0&LH_T...

E5fcHKqXMAMiHxn.jpgE5fcKqcWYAA-EUs.jpg

@gwzcomps I'm not able to replicate what you've shown in your screenshot, but if I search "ex3200 switch ears", "ex3200 juniper ears", "ex3200 rack ears", "ex3200 mounting ears", "ex3200 series ears", or "ex3200 ears" then your listing is the first result. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=ex3200+ears&_sacat=0&LH_T... 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 16 of 60
latest reply

eBay return shipping labels:

eBay has stopped printing seller-provided RMA numbers on eBay generated return shipping labels.

Can someone please look into why this is happening?

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 17 of 60
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

tyler@ebay wrote:

@lamber9347 wrote:

I have a buyer from the UK interested in an item. I use GSP for all Int'l sales and never receive questions about pricing because it seems to default to GSP. This buyer keeps getting the following message:

ask seller for a postage quote

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything related. Do you know why the buyer keeps getting this message and cannot conclude the transaction? 

Not off the top of my head @lamber9347 - would you mind sharing the item number here so I can have a look?

brian@ebay No, unfortunately I cannot as that would expose my selling ID on this forum. Too bad because the buyer really wants my item, he is in the UK. Oh well, such is life. Thank you for the reply, my first time posting on the weekly community chat....

I understand @lamber9347 - if you haven't done so already, consider reaching out to the social media team (Facebook or Twitter). They're great with stuff like this and you can private message them so none of your information is publicly visible. 

If I had to guess I would say that either the input weight and dimensions for the item exceed the GSP's limits, the category is 'blocked' by GSP so it's asking the buyer to arrange alternate shipping directly with you, or the buyer has an address that the GSP can't ship to (like a PO Box). 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 18 of 60
latest reply

Listing Question

I use Sell Similar for some of my items - why reinvent the wheel right?

I am listing new kitchen towels right now.  I use one of my current listings for the same brand and click Sell Similar.  I update the Title, photos, myriad item specifics and description.  

After the listing goes live I check it for accuracy.  For the past few days not all of the item specifics - same or updated or newly added - transfer to the new listing.  For instance, an original listing had 14 item specifics filled out.  Sell Similar new listing created for same brand different design has only 5 item specifics showing.  Some missing specifics not transferring include size, pattern, color, etc.  Important info for buyers.  Why are not all item specifics transferring to the new listing?  

The same has happened when I use Sell Similar to list new bowls and plates.

Thanks for any help you can give. 

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 19 of 60
latest reply

@b86fiero wrote:

Oh No!!  You too?

Brian, you have been so helpful to many of us.  We could always count on you to do your best to provide answers.  And if you were not sure you had the honesty to say so and began digging for the information.

Lordy, you will be greatly missed.

Best wishes for a continued successful career with eBay!!

@b86fiero thank you! I'll miss everyone here for sure 😞 It's been a good several years. I have no doubt that the two new members of the team will be excellent though! And of course Tyler will remain fabulous 😁

Brian,
Community Team
Message 20 of 60
latest reply

Following up on tyler@ebay response to this post last week: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-July-7-1-00-pm-PT-General-T...

Tyler asked:

Update: - would you mind getting me an item number example that I can use to do some searching? It will make it simpler for me if I need to end up sending it off to the Seller Hub team. Thanks!

I cannot provide an item number publicly as the URL is seller-specific and requires both a transaction ID and an item number.   I would be happy to offer an example via private messaging.

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 21 of 60
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

Brian, you will be greatly missed here in the Community. 

Your level-headed answers to our queries have been incredibly valuable.

Best of luck to you in your new endeavors.

@vrykalak thank you so much! I'm excited for my new journey but will always look back at time with the Community fondly 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 22 of 60
latest reply

I've ran into a new issue regarding shipping labels, well new to me.  Yesterday and again today I could not print labels for a couple of items due to the proper shipping method did not show up nor could I get it to.  

The categories the items were listed in are fine for Media Mail, but the option was blocked.  I had other sales in the same categories that I was able to print labels using Media mail.  Any ideas??

-----

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 23 of 60
latest reply

Electronics are highly price driven.  This has always been a problem with price lowest first sorting, but has gotten even worse this year.  I understand it may show up other ways, but it doesn't show up the way that matters the most.  It still gets suppressed if I use the other keyword variations.  This isn't my only listing effected either.

_____

Message 24 of 60
latest reply

@creativecrisis wrote:

Sorry to see you go, Brian. Wishing you all the best in your next role!

@creativecrisis thank you so much!!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 25 of 60
latest reply

Happy trails brian@ebay Hope the new assignment is a promotion and exciting challenge.

A?

Is there anyway to dispute a charge to your managed payments? I ask because I have seen a few posts lately about USPS charges after the fact and the only way to challenge is to go through USPS (good luck with 🙂 ) but if Adyen is a CC processor and payments are basically CC transactions shouldn't there be a way to dispute a charge like you can with a CC company?

It only seems fair since buyers can do chargebacks, and they do!

If there is a process it would be nice to know.

Message 26 of 60
latest reply

@bimmerpc1 wrote:

eBay return shipping labels:

eBay has stopped printing seller-provided RMA numbers on eBay generated return shipping labels.

Can someone please look into why this is happening?

Hi @bimmerpc1 - thanks for letting me know. I'm not certain if this is an intentional change or a tech issue - do you happen to have an item number of a recent return I can grab a screenshot of for shipping?  If not, no worries, I'm just trying to head off the inevitable "we need an example" reply if it's not a change. 😉

Tyler,
eBay
Message 27 of 60
latest reply

@vrykalak wrote:

I have been meaning to ask: why was "Vacation Mode" deleted, 
being replaced by "time away" which is limited to 30 days?

I asked this last week. The reply I got was a link to the page that explained the change, but didn't answer my question: WHY was this change made?

-----

Message 28 of 60
latest reply

What is up with all these new members to the Community that have been posting one line posts, dozens at a time.  They are all over the place posting 10, 15, 20 postings to any given thread, especially threads that are already very long.  Going back and responding to posts that are a year old.  And they won't respond to anyone that addresses a posting to them even when tagged.

_____

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 60
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

To start the chat out, I want to share that I will be joining a different team within eBay, which means I'll be leaving the Community team in the coming weeks. It's bittersweet for sure as I'll miss everyone on the Community and the wonderful team I've worked with for the past several years. I wish everyone the best going forward!

Good luck and very sorry to see you go.

_____

Message 30 of 60
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: