cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, July 14 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 60
latest reply
59 REPLIES 59

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

To start the chat out, I want to share that I will be joining a different team within eBay, which means I'll be leaving the Community team in the coming weeks. It's bittersweet for sure as I'll miss everyone on the Community and the wonderful team I've worked with for the past several years. I wish everyone the best going forward!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 2 of 60
latest reply

Aweeeee, Brian.........bittersweet.......hope it's great for you, but sure a loss for us......so you are leaving Tyler holding the bag? 

Message 3 of 60
latest reply

Good afternoon.  For the last sellers update there were changes to the sports card category.  We were required to put in item specifics (Graded, item type, etc).  While doing this it was found out that “Card Attribute” was not allow for variation listings under sports cards.  Spent hours changing variation listings and ended up putting “Card Number” for the attribute.  One because it was an option and it made the most sense as this is the attribute of the card that I was listing for the variation drop down listing.

As of Sunday evening this worked, listing were able to be updated and I was able to make the required changed before the July 12 deadline.

Now it appears that “Card Number” is not allowed as a variation specific.  When you go to update the listing the “Card number is not allowed as a variation specific” warning appears.  No warning or hint that this would change.  I know others are in this boat as well and spent countless hours making the required changes only now to have these changes worthless if “Card Number” is not going to be allowed.

What is allowed for variation specific?  Card number was allowed up to this past Sunday.  Can this be changed to allow Card Number at the very least?  A lot of work was done to make sure listing met the requirements. 

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 4 of 60
latest reply

What does eBay have to gain from actively suppressing seller's listings? I know your primary duty is to your shareholders with sellers in last place. Wouldn't the shareholders have more to gain if small businesses were given the same chance to succeed as the larger sellers? Despite my own goals to work away from the site due to your poor treatment of sellers I would think eBay would want to retain good hard working sellers. Maybe I should be grateful eBay is insuring the recent months have been the lowest sales I have seen in the last 10 years. This only strengthens my resolve to leave the site as it is clearly no longer the place to grow business.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=ex3200+ears&_sacat=0&LH_T...

E5fcHKqXMAMiHxn.jpgE5fcKqcWYAA-EUs.jpg

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be found here

Message 5 of 60
latest reply

I have a buyer from the UK interested in an item. I use GSP for all Int'l sales and never receive questions about pricing because it seems to default to GSP. This buyer keeps getting the following message:

ask seller for a postage quote

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything related. Do you know why the buyer keeps getting this message and cannot conclude the transaction? 

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 6 of 60
latest reply

Oh No!!  You too?

Brian, you have been so helpful to many of us.  We could always count on you to do your best to provide answers.  And if you were not sure you had the honesty to say so and began digging for the information.

Lordy, you will be greatly missed.

Best wishes for a continued successful career with eBay!!

_____

Edit: Reply to this post can be read here

Message 7 of 60
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Aweeeee, Brian.........bittersweet.......hope it's great for you, but sure a loss for us......so you are leaving Tyler holding the bag? 

@dhbookds hopefully it won't take to long to get two new people to fill mine and Brittanie's spots. Until that time, Tyler will be doing a lot of the work on his own 😢

Brian,
Community Team
Message 8 of 60
latest reply

@arrowhead10-7 wrote:

Good afternoon.  For the last sellers update there were changes to the sports card category.  We were required to put in item specifics (Graded, item type, etc).  While doing this it was found out that “Card Attribute” was not allow for variation listings under sports cards.  Spent hours changing variation listings and ended up putting “Card Number” for the attribute.  One because it was an option and it made the most sense as this is the attribute of the card that I was listing for the variation drop down listing.

As of Sunday evening this worked, listing were able to be updated and I was able to make the required changed before the July 12 deadline.

Now it appears that “Card Number” is not allowed as a variation specific.  When you go to update the listing the “Card number is not allowed as a variation specific” warning appears.  No warning or hint that this would change.  I know others are in this boat as well and spent countless hours making the required changes only now to have these changes worthless if “Card Number” is not going to be allowed.

What is allowed for variation specific?  Card number was allowed up to this past Sunday.  Can this be changed to allow Card Number at the very least?  A lot of work was done to make sure listing met the requirements. 

Hi @arrowhead10-7 - I've been working to get a better understanding of the change and what options are available to you since Monday. I'm still waiting on updates but as I have them I will update you on this thread. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 9 of 60
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

I have a buyer from the UK interested in an item. I use GSP for all Int'l sales and never receive questions about pricing because it seems to default to GSP. This buyer keeps getting the following message:

I did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything related. Do you know why the buyer keeps getting this message and cannot conclude the transaction? 

Not off the top of my head @lamber9347 - would you mind sharing the item number here so I can have a look?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 10 of 60
latest reply

Thank you, it would be much appreciated.  There was no warning that card number would not be allowed to be used as it was allowed up to Sunday.  I think it would be very beneficial if we had a better understanding of what attributes ebay is looking for...or just allow "card number" to be valid 🙂

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 11 of 60
latest reply

Brian, you will be greatly missed here in the Community. 

Your level-headed answers to our queries have been incredibly valuable.

Best of luck to you in your new endeavors.

_____

Message 12 of 60
latest reply

@arrowhead10-7 wrote:

Thank you, it would be much appreciated.  There was no warning that card number would not be allowed to be used as it was allowed up to Sunday.  I think it would be very beneficial if we had a better understanding of what attributes ebay is looking for...or just allow "card number" to be valid 🙂

@arrowhead10-7 - I don't disagree with you at all, especially after you and others went to so much effort to revise your listings!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 13 of 60
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@lamber9347 wrote:

Not off the top of my head @lamber9347 - would you mind sharing the item number here so I can have a look?

tyler@ebay  No, unfortunately I cannot as that would expose my selling ID on this forum. Too bad because the buyer really wants my item, he is in the UK. Oh well, such is life. Thank you for the reply, my first time posting on the weekly community chat....

-----

Edit: A reply to your comment can be found here

Message 14 of 60
latest reply

Sorry to see you go, Brian. Wishing you all the best in your next role!

_____

Message 15 of 60
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: