cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, January 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 68
latest reply
67 REPLIES 67

Re: Community Chat, January 26 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@gracieallen01 wrote:

How can ebay or the authenticator NOT be solely responsible for handling a complaint for AFTER the item has been handled, inspected, authenticated, shipped to the buyer and received by the buyer?  There seem to be a lot of posts about complaints falling back onto the lister.

Hi @gracieallen01! The Authenticity Guarantee program is to ensure that items are authentic. If the condition of the item or any other outstanding issues come up, then those would be treated like any other sale/Return. 

If you have a situation where you believe a claim wasn't handled correctly, we'd encourage you to contact Customer Support to appeal the outcome. At the very least, you can get more info as to why the claim was handled the way it was if the appeal is denied. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 31 of 68
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

A few months back we communicating with the Shipping dept in regards to some addition categories or sub categories that they needed to add to the Media Mail approval list.  I've shared this information more times than I can count directly with the Shipping dept.  

I've tried over the past month to communicate with them but I do not get a response from them.  Last November or so they told me that the stuff I was asking to be added would not get added until their next update that was slated for February of 2022.  I'm just trying to verify that this is really going to happen as they had a few updates last year, I was also told then that they would get added, but they never did.

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 32 of 68
latest reply

@superman_0510 wrote:

I have been an eBay user for 13 years now and have been looking forward to making a big purchase on the website and maximize my savings and cash back on it to that end which is made possible through the eBay bucks program. However since the start of the new year I have not received any eBay bucks promotions. Has that program been canceled or is there like a specific time when they are sent out to users?

Hi @superman_0510 - the eBay Bucks program has not been discontinued, though it does no longer accept new applicants. 'Bucks Booster' campaigns are still sent regularly, and like most promotions the population that receives them is determined by marketing based on a number of factors like buying history, activity, account size, etc. 

Hoping that you see one soon to get that item!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 33 of 68
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
Can we get a status report on the roll out of video-in-listings?  It has obviously begun, but what is the date by which everyone should expect to have this feature? And when can we expect some sort of tutorial?

I wish I had updates to share @my-cottage-books-and-antiques, but we haven't heard anything more on this as of yet.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 34 of 68
latest reply

jasmen@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - there is a very concerning post about a serial pre-sale violator here:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/ebay-Preorders-Never-Fulfuilled-amp-No-Refund/td-p/32649715

The seller has been reported repeatedly but has still been allowed to continuing violating the presale policy, with many current listings showing pre-sales as far out as April.

the buyer on that thread @ragnbull has been unable to get any assistance from the regular support channels in getting their money back because it is after the MBG timeline.  However, as you know, community staff have previously confirmed support *can* still assist in these situations, even after that deadline. https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-Promoted-Funkoween-Presale-Violations/m-p/32013380/highli...

Since regular support has failed to both assist the buyer and take appropriate action against the violating listings, what is the best course of action for this buyer to get assistance?

Thanks for brining this to our attention @valueaddedresource based on the time frame it may be way to old to do anything. It would be best for the member to reach out to eBay for Business so they can take a deeper dive. 

As far as the seller goes, I'm not sure how they are getting their post through so I'll get them in the right hands for review. My assumption on why nothings been done yet is that buyers are not opening the cases so our system isn't catching it. I'll get them looked into for sure! 

Thank you jasmen@ebay but please review the other link I provided - eBay staff here in the community has confirmed in the past that support can still assist buyers on pre-sale violations even after the MBG timeframe.

I know that eBay can and does have the ability to provide courtesy credits in these situations - so again, what is the best course for that buyer to escalate the issue to support personnel who can assist?

-----

Message 35 of 68
latest reply

However since the start of the new year I have not received any eBay bucks promotions. Has that program been canceled or is there like a specific time when they are sent out to users?

There has been only one such promotion since the start of the year, available to select user accounts -- check your messages to see if you are one of the lucky few who qualify. eBay does not advertise those in advance.

You can check the dates of recent eBay Bucks offers by going to one of the "daily deal"-type sites and searching for "eBay Bucks".

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php?q=ebay-bucks&searcharea=deals&searchin=first

Message 36 of 68
latest reply

Now that eBay has introduced an authentication program for trading cards, any updates on when the Scan To List tool will include sports cards and other trading cards?

-----

Message 37 of 68
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  over on the eBay for Business Facebook page I noticed they recently posted something recruiting volunteers for the community mentor program.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Mentor-Program/Community-Mentor-Program/td-p/31654137

A couple observations:

Several people commented on that post referencing how many previously active contributors here in the community have been banned or run off over the years.  Is it maybe time to re-visit this old suggestion?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-November-25-1-00-pm-PT-Gene... 

Apparently, there are many long-time, and still active sellers that for whatever reason have been permanently banned from the eBay community boards.

Many of these bans may have been justified, but it seems wrong (and unethical) for eBay to permanently ban sellers from their community platform while still allowing them to sell (and pay eBay fees) on the marketplace.

With new senior company and community leadership perhaps eBay can revisit this process on the go-forward, and a means to 'appeal' or re-request access to those that have been banned long ago, but still sell on eBay.

Hopefully all would agree that these seller-customers should be permitted to browse the community board in ‘read-only’ mode (without a work-around like having to sign-out or using an incognito browser session).

If nothing else, every eBay seller should be allowed to ‘read’ the critical announcement boards (even if the user is otherwise banned), if eBay still allows them to sell (or buy) on the site.

Also, I noticed a question on that eBay for Business post asking about phone support for anchor stores - which reminded me that there was never any real resolution to the question about the fate of the Concierge support program.

Any other updates about Concierge since this weekly chat back in June 2021?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-June-9-1-00-pm-PT-General-T...

Hi @valueaddedresource - When it comes to login restrictions the answer I gave in November is still the most applicable (link here). 

As to your question about Concierge - I don't have much more input than Brittanie provided. Is there a specific, recent, concern or question about it that I can address?

Tyler,
eBay
Message 38 of 68
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

On a remorse return where I do not refund the initial postage paid by the buyer, do I then forfeit the final value fees on the whole transaction by doing this?

tks

Hi @fern*wood! At this time, you are correct. The Final Value Fee would not be credited with a partial refund like that. 

***Update***

I've received follow-up info letting me know that there is one exception to the rule for Final Value Fee credits with partial refunds, and that is if it's a remorse Return and the buyer paid for shipping, then a full refund of the item cost only will still provide the full Final Value Fee credit. We are working to update both internal and public facing pages to reflect this. Thanks! 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 39 of 68
latest reply

Now that I have done a lot of editing and listing new items, I would like to bring you back to  postcards, specifically non-topical postcards and item specifics.

Two recommended fields - Occasion and artist.  

These are both individually recommended.    Cards that are for occasions like Christmas, Easter are still expected to have the artist field filled in as well.    Postcards that display artwork, still expect an occasion to go with the recommendation of artist.  Renoir did not paint 'occasions', he painted people.

This dilutes the importance of recommended item specifics.  In seller hub, there is a separate bubble for 'item specifics'.  So every Christmas postcard appears there and needs to be touched in some manner.  I have been checking the little box "do not remind me about this again.".   After listing every non-topical postcard.......

Did you know, that if you use the eBay app, that option is not available?  What are those sellers supposed to do in order to clear the not applicable listings from under that bubble? 

There needs to be a serious review to determine if these two fields belong as recommendations rather than additional information.

-----

Message 40 of 68
latest reply

@glgenterprise wrote:

This has been true for many, many people, but it depends on your bank to an extent - mine do not match and I had no issues at all. I honestly expected issues, but it went through on the first try no problem.

It is not the bank, it is the legal requirements that Ebay has to comply with in MP.  I've got no answer as to why your account is allowed to be different.  To be honest I have not heard of this before.  

The requirements of CIP [Customer Identification Program] that Ebay has to adhere to is pretty strict.

Message 41 of 68
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

On a remorse return where I do not refund the initial postage paid by the buyer, do I then forfeit the final value fees on the whole transaction by doing this?

tks

Hi @fern*wood! At this time, you are correct. The Final Value Fee would not be credited with a partial refund like that. 

Since when velvet@ebay? I know FVF aren't credited on partial refunds- but in the event of a remorse return when original shipping was charged separately- refunding less original shipping has always been considered a "full" refund and triggered an automatic fee credit.

-----

Message 42 of 68
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

How can ebay or the authenticator NOT be solely responsible for handling a complaint for AFTER the item has been handled, inspected, authenticated, shipped to the buyer and received by the buyer?  There seem to be a lot of posts about complaints falling back onto the lister.

Hi @gracieallen01! The Authenticity Guarantee program is to ensure that items are authentic. If the condition of the item or any other outstanding issues come up, then those would be treated like any other sale/Return. 

If you have a situation where you believe a claim wasn't handled correctly, we'd encourage you to contact Customer Support to appeal the outcome. At the very least, you can get more info as to why the claim was handled the way it was if the appeal is denied. 

velvet@ebay  this is not correct - the terms of the authentication programs specifically state the authentication is not only checking for authenticity, but to confirm condition and that the item matches the listing.

2022-01-26_16-36-19.jpg

-----

Message 43 of 68
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

tks

Since when velvet@ebay? I know FVF aren't credited on partial refunds- but in the event of a remorse return when original shipping was charged separately- refunding less original shipping has always been considered a "full" refund and triggered an automatic fee credit.

I agree this has also always been my experience too.  In fact I believe that if the refund is 80% or more of what was originally paid by the buyer a FVF charged the seller is refunded.  I think I learned that years ago from Trinton.  This of course may have changed.

Message 44 of 68
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

I posted a couple weeks ago about the Transaction Report downloaded from the Payments tab being a problem because there's no variations column, so reconciling the report takes ages.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-January-5-1-00-pm-PT-Genera... 

I'm back with another complaint about the same report.

When a buyer purchases 3 different items in a single order- then returns 1 of those items- the report makes things confusing.

On the order you'll see 4 line items- a main line item then 3 below, 1 for each product. The "item title" column will show the listing titles like- ITEM A, ITEM B, ITEM C.

On the return you'll see 3 line items if it was subjected to a payment hold- 2 line items with the column "type" hold and 1 line item with the column "type" refund.

The 1 line item with the "type" refund shows the correct item title in the item title field- ITEM C

The 2 line items with the "type" hold make things confusing. Instead of showing ITEM C it will show ITEM A +2

It makes reconciling the report much more work than it needs to be.

Hi @coffeebean832! I'm passing both of your concerns on to our Payments team. I know they've been looking into/fixing other issues we've provided them recently too. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 45 of 68
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: