cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, January 19 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

eBay removed two of my listings on January 11th. The email they sent me doesn't tell me what was wrong with the listings or why they were removed.
The things listed in the email has nothing to do with my listings. These listings were for brand new handheld x-rays that are FDA approved. eBay has a category for x-rays.
I went through this with eBay a few years back and finally got everything they said was required added to the listing, so I don't understand what the problem is now.

Hello dentalsales4u,

We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Product safety policy. Products that pose a health or safety hazard can’t be listed on eBay.

What activity didn't follow the policy

More specific details are provided below.

What you need to do next

You can't relist items we've ended. Please ensure your current and future listings follow this policy.

What is the policy

The following types of items aren’t allowed:

- Items recalled by the manufacturer, any government agency, or those whose sale is prohibited by law
- Items that pose a health or safety hazard as specified by any government agency

Sellers can list the following types of items:

- Items subject to a recall but not prohibited by law as long as the listing includes the recall information
- Items complying with these safety standards:
-- Eligible sellers can list cribs meeting federal safety standards issued by the CPSC in 2011, which must be included in the listing
-- Eligible sellers can list child car safety seats meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 213, which must be included in the listing
-- Eligible sellers can list new bicycle helmets. Used bike helmets are not allowed
-- Hoverboards, self-balancing scooters, and components or parts (such as batteries and chargers) certified to meet UL 2272 safety standards. The listing must state that the item is UL 2272 certified, include a link to the UL Online Certifications Directory showing the certification, and only offer shipping to the United States, Canada, and Australia

I called eBay on Jan 12th to get more information so I could correct the listing if there was something wrong with it.
The first rep transferred me to Antonio as she wasn't familiar with the policy and couldn't help me as she didn't even know x-rays could be listed.
They can and they have their own category. You just have to make sure you follow the guidelines for safety protocal.
Antonio said he couldn't find anything wrong with the listing and was trying to get the dept who removed it to find out
why and what the problem was. He couldn't get anyone in that dept to respond, so he said he would call me back as soon as he was able to get ahold of someone.
January 14th, several days later and no call back.  I then contacted eBay via eBay Facebook for business.
They finally responded back to me on Saturday, January 15th.
They said,

Hi, Sharon. 
We sure appreciate you creating such a thorough listing. We're requesting a secondary review of the removal to gain more understanding and specifics. Once we have an update, we will let you know here. Thanks in advance for your patience! ~Lyndsey
eBay
 We also apologize that you haven't yet heard back from Antonio. That's certainly not the experience we wanted for you and we'll be sure to make note of that here. We'll talk soon! ~Lyndsey

I still haven't heard anything from Antonio or eBay Facebook for business. Today is January 19th over a week later and I still have no information.
I would really like to fix the problem if one exists since these are good selling products. Although, since the listings were removed, all my history for them is gone 😞
I guess one thing that really torques me is other sellers that are listing the same items don't have any of the information eBay had me add to the listing. They most have the disclaimer and others don't even have that. They have been reported, but they are still up and going.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Edit:
A reply to your question can be found here
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

There's been a shift in support offered through the eBay for Business Facebook page where they are now having sellers click a link to verify their account info instead of providing name, email, and zip code in a private message for verification.

I noticed that eBay support on Twitter is not using the new verification system and is still just asking for name, email and zip.

Why has this changed only on one support channel?

Customers may be leery to click on a link and log into their eBay accounts (for security reasons). What options would sellers have to still receive support from eBay on Facebook if they are not comfortable clicking on the link to verify?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-for-Business-on-Facebook/m-p/32622158#M1921416

-----

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@dentalsales4u wrote:
eBay removed two of my listings on January 11th. The email they sent me doesn't tell me what was wrong with the listings or why they were removed.
The things listed in the email has nothing to do with my listings. These listings were for brand new handheld x-rays that are FDA approved. eBay has a category for x-rays.
I went through this with eBay a few years back and finally got everything they said was required added to the listing, so I don't understand what the problem is now.

Hello dentalsales4u,

We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Product safety policy. Products that pose a health or safety hazard can’t be listed on eBay.

What activity didn't follow the policy

More specific details are provided below.

What you need to do next

You can't relist items we've ended. Please ensure your current and future listings follow this policy.

What is the policy

The following types of items aren’t allowed:

- Items recalled by the manufacturer, any government agency, or those whose sale is prohibited by law
- Items that pose a health or safety hazard as specified by any government agency

Sellers can list the following types of items:

- Items subject to a recall but not prohibited by law as long as the listing includes the recall information
- Items complying with these safety standards:
-- Eligible sellers can list cribs meeting federal safety standards issued by the CPSC in 2011, which must be included in the listing
-- Eligible sellers can list child car safety seats meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 213, which must be included in the listing
-- Eligible sellers can list new bicycle helmets. Used bike helmets are not allowed
-- Hoverboards, self-balancing scooters, and components or parts (such as batteries and chargers) certified to meet UL 2272 safety standards. The listing must state that the item is UL 2272 certified, include a link to the UL Online Certifications Directory showing the certification, and only offer shipping to the United States, Canada, and Australia

I called eBay on Jan 12th to get more information so I could correct the listing if there was something wrong with it.
The first rep transferred me to Antonio as she wasn't familiar with the policy and couldn't help me as she didn't even know x-rays could be listed.
They can and they have their own category. You just have to make sure you follow the guidelines for safety protocal.
Antonio said he couldn't find anything wrong with the listing and was trying to get the dept who removed it to find out
why and what the problem was. He couldn't get anyone in that dept to respond, so he said he would call me back as soon as he was able to get ahold of someone.
January 14th, several days later and no call back.  I then contacted eBay via eBay Facebook for business.
They finally responded back to me on Saturday, January 15th.
They said,

Hi, Sharon. 
We sure appreciate you creating such a thorough listing. We're requesting a secondary review of the removal to gain more understanding and specifics. Once we have an update, we will let you know here. Thanks in advance for your patience! ~Lyndsey
eBay
 We also apologize that you haven't yet heard back from Antonio. That's certainly not the experience we wanted for you and we'll be sure to make note of that here. We'll talk soon! ~Lyndsey

I still haven't heard anything from Antonio or eBay Facebook for business. Today is January 19th over a week later and I still have no information.
I would really like to fix the problem if one exists since these are good selling products. Although, since the listings were removed, all my history for them is gone 😞
I guess one thing that really torques me is other sellers that are listing the same items don't have any of the information eBay had me add to the listing. They most have the disclaimer and others don't even have that. They have been reported, but they are still up and going.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Hey @dentalsales4u so sorry to hear your listings were removed! When this happens it needs to be worked by a specific team. I wish I could help here but the best thing to do is to wait for eBay for Business to get back to  you. I also reached out to Lyndsey to check for an update for you as well, hope you hear back soon! 

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

There's been a shift in support offered through the eBay for Business Facebook page where they are now having sellers click a link to verify their account info instead of providing name, email, and zip code in a private message for verification.

I noticed that eBay support on Twitter is not using the new verification system and is still just asking for name, email and zip.

Why has this changed only on one support channel?

Customers may be leery to click on a link and log into their eBay accounts (for security reasons). What options would sellers have to still receive support from eBay on Facebook if they are not comfortable clicking on the link to verify?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/eBay-for-Business-on-Facebook/m-p/32622158#M1921416

Hi @valueaddedresource - I don't have any comment to provide on this at this point in time, but I have requested more information and will update you here when I hear back!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

When I get a message that a potential buyer has counteroffered my counteroffer, I click on the "Respond now" button, and it just takes me to the listing instead of the page to decide whether or not to accept.

I received the latest 2 messages like this on the 9th and 10th if you need to see examples.

-----

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Is there any updated timeline on the 2.5% Final Value Fee social sharing initiative?

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

When I get a message that a potential buyer has counteroffered my counteroffer, I click on the "Respond now" button, and it just takes me to the listing instead of the page to decide whether or not to accept.

I received the latest 2 messages like this on the 9th and 10th if you need to see examples.

Hey @carlqsportscards! When you're taken to the listing do you see the option there to respond to the offer? If so, what happens when you select that? 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Is there any updated timeline on the 2.5% Final Value Fee social sharing initiative?

Hey @valueaddedresource no, there are no further updates currently, once it's available we will send out communication for sure!  

Jasmen,
Community Team

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Just an idea:

Given all the hyperventilating about the new 1099Ks, would eBay consider a Q and A with someone form the IRS? Or maybe have Griff do a podcast with someone from the IRS?

NOT asking for eBay to give tax advice but get it straight from the source.  Seller education around these issues are important so that sellers know what's expected and can move ahead with confidence.

So much misinformation floating around. I am sure eBay has Government Affairs people or a firm in DC that could make this happen

So many interesting questions like:

How do I value stuff I bought years ago and have no idea or documentation of what I paid?

How do I know if I need to do a schedule C?

When does capital gains apply as opposed to income tax?

If I am filing as a business, what kinds of expenses are generally deductible?

and on and on and on

Of course everyone should consult an expert, but education helps.

-----

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

@carlqsportscards wrote:

Hey @carlqsportscards! When you're taken to the listing do you see the option there to respond to the offer? If so, what happens when you select that? 

Yes, I can eventually respond with some extra unnecessary clicks. Just letting you know the respond now button doesn't go to the respond page in these subsequent cases. It works fine when I get the original offers.

-----

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

tyler@ebay  last week you told @gwzcomps that in a situation where they had ordered QTY 3 of something, but had only received one, they should have filed an Item Not Received request instead of a return for "missing pieces".

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-January-12-1-00-pm-PT-Gener... 

Based on the information you have shared with me, an INR is the more appropriate route to go. To recap:

You purchased multiples of the same single-quantity item number (ie: the listing was for one widget and you purchased quantity 3) and received some, but others were missing. An Item not Received request for the missing items is the correct way to go in that scenario. 

However, back in December, in a similar scenario you had indicated otherwise.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/In-shock-eBay-siding-with-seller-that-sent-half-of-what-I/m-p/3... 

If I ordered quantity 2 of a single listing and only receive 1 I should open a Not as Described request (missing parts or pieces). 

If I ordered 2 different listings (separate item numbers) from the same seller and only receive 1 I should open an Item not Received (INR) request for the item number that did not arrive.*

I'm just trying to understand what the difference is in these scenarios - if the issue is a multiple quantity order of the same item number where only 1 was received, why wouldn't the same advice still apply?

-----

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@carlqsportscards wrote:

velvet@ebay wrote:

@carlqsportscards wrote:

Yes, I can eventually respond with some extra unnecessary clicks. Just letting you know the respond now button doesn't go to the respond page in these subsequent cases. It works fine when I get the original offers.

Thanks for clarifying that @carlqsportscards. I'll get a ticket filed with our tech team. In the meantime, I'm glad there is a way for you to accept/deny counteroffers.

Velvet,
eBay
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

eBay only has 2 choices for a seller to cancel an order:  buyer requested or problem with address.  Since there are other reasons for cancelling orders, such as illness, death of seller, fire, fraud, etc., please ask eBay to add a 3rd choice:  Other with an area to enter the reason for the cancellation.

I recently had 80 suspicious purchases by 80 buyers in a single day.  Over 20 of these transactions appeared to have valid addresses.  I either had to lie and say there was a problem with the address or mail the items, even though I was 99.9% positive these transactions involved unauthorized use of buyers' accounts.  I mailed the items. 

The USPS has returned 10 so far with reasons like not deliverable as addressed, attempted - not known, no mail receptacle, vacant, insufficient address, and no such number.   If there had been the choice of Other, I would NOT have mailed these items.  Now I am out not only the $.30 transaction fees (10 x $.30 = $3.00, the postage (10 x $.58 = $5.80), and when I cancel these returns due to problem with address the purchase price (10 x $1.00 = $10.00), so a loss of $18.80 because neither choice for cancelling the orders was valid.  I think it is reasonable to be able to provide a correct reason for cancellation.

-----

Edit: A reply to your suggestion can be found here

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

What is the status of the Voices pilot program here in the community? Any plans to expand it to additional categories besides collectibles?

Edit: A reply to your question can be found here.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: