cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Chat, February 17 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

brittanie@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi everyone! Thanks for joining us for the Weekly Chat with eBay Staff. We don't have a specific topic this week, so feel free to share any general buying or selling questions you may have.

The chat thread will remain open until 2 PM PT at which point we'll close it from additional responses. After that time, we'll continue to work on responding to any queries that might still be unanswered.

To post your question, click Reply in the lower right corner of this post, type your question, and hit submit between 1-2 PM Pacific Time. The format of our chat mirrors the format of our Community Discussion Boards, where each post will appear in the thread chronologically. The Community Team will review each question as it comes in, and will quote the original question in our reply. This quote and the reply will appear later in the thread, so just keep scrolling down to see our answers.

Missed the chat? Send your questions to the podcast by calling  888-723-4630 or email us at podcast@ebay.com and maybe your questions will make it on the air! Or listen to past episodes while you wait for next Wednesday!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Community Chat, February 17 @ 1:00 pm PT - General Topics

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Good afternoon eBay Support Team

Subject: Managed Payments Weekly Payout

I need someone to explain how eBay's Managed Payments failed to pay me a single penny this week despite sales as follows:

Thursday, Feb 11 = 2 Sold items

Saturday Feb 13 = 7 Sold items

Sunday Feb 14 =   7 Sold items

Monday Feb 15 = 2 Sold items

The first pic below clearly shows last week's Payout was Wednesday the 10th NOT Tuesday the 9th.  That was after a non-holiday weekend.  So this past weekend was a Monday holiday weekend and money did not seem to move at all from Processing to Available over the weekend like I have seen in the past.  So Tuesday rolls around and there was NO message in the AM about a Payout and money started to shift from Processing to Available ... by 3:30 PM EST ALL money had moved to Available ON PAYOUT DAY but when I checked for the payment (2nd pic below) the Summary stated that my next Payout would be Feb 23 ... THAT'S NEXT WEEK! 

What about today Wednesday like they did last week?????  There is absolutely NO reason why I got completely stiffed this week by Managed Payments, none at all.  And NOTE, money is switching from Processing to Available in HOURS on Payout Day ... virtually NO movement over a 3 day Holiday Weekend and then over a several hours period on ONE day it ALL shifts!?! 

This situation I am pretty convinced is by design ... imagine all the millions of dollars that can be held an extra week after a Monday holiday weekend!?!  Do you doubt this?  Over the next 10 years there are about 100 holidays where banks are closed and 62 of them ARE ON A MONDAY!   That is not a coincidence ... that is intentional ... 4 holidays will be on Tuesdays, 6 will be on Wednesdays and the remainder on Thurs & Fri ...

(PS: And NO, I do not want Daily Payouts, I do not want to have to check online banking more than once a week nor make more than one entry in the checking account for this ... MP already causes more work than PayPal did)

Screenshot (2460).pngScreenshot (2463).png

@mrlincoln73 - I definitely understand this is confusing and frustrating to not get your payout when expected. As we're not able to review or provide account specific information, you'd want to contact the managed payments team by going to the help pages and searching for 'managed payments' and using the contact options at the bottom of the help page, so they can review why you're seeing this and help remedy it.

_____
Edit: A reply to your post can be found here

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 61 of 74
latest reply

tyler@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Thanks for joining the chat this week! It's now closed but we will continue to review and ensure that questions for us are addressed. 

See you on the boards!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 62 of 74
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Now for the elephant in the room... we've received the email, "Important: Updates about managing your payments". Glad to see the message and grateful for the smidge of time to plan for it. Any timeline for the sellers still receiving  invoices? A selfish question... pardon me in advance. 

@mtgraves7984 I don't have any specific information about specifics but I'm happy to request it. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 63 of 74
latest reply

@stuff4divas wrote:

Hello,

I am considering opening another selling account for entirely different type items than what I now sell.

To avoid scammers thinking they can take advantage of a 'new' seller, or legit buyers thinking I don't have enough experience for them to feel comfortable to buy from, am I allowed to say I am an experienced seller and that they can check by me providing the name of my current seller's account on the listing or a link to it?

Thank you.

Hi @stuff4divas - When it comes to your listing description, we wouldn't have an issue with you stating you were an established seller - but providing links to your other profile or items may be interpreted as you trying to use your new account to promote sales for your original id. I'd caution you against doing that. 

Best of luck with the new id!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 64 of 74
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

Sorry, I came a bit late,  but I am curious-What seems to be the point of a listing fee?  I get what everything says, but being told that you will be charged if you list and item comes off as 'We don't want you or your items, that's why we are charging you'.

Since the fee seems negative, why are they charged?  Shouldn't the imput we receive be more of a 'Great, you listed another item-keep going'.  Instead I feel like I should list my items elsewhere.  It is only the 17th of the month and I'm alreay getting negative responces.  It seems to me, that you would want to encourage people to list everything, not shove them away.

Hi @divwido - we charge insertion fees to offset the cost of hosting your listing. We definitely want you to use our platform to reach buyers, which is why we offer zero insertion fees on a set number of listings per month (from 200 to tens of thousands depending on whether or not you have a store subscription with us). 

I'd be hopeful that any  costs you see from listing are more than made up for by the amount you make in sales, but if the listing fees become too much to justify continuing to list with us until March I understand. Hoping you have a gangbusters rest of the month!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 65 of 74
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

Could I please have some more information / clarification on the simplified payment of store fees etc.

What happens with Anchor Store credits for promotions? - It is $25 a quarter - and the announcement doesn't deal with these credits at all.

Clarify - if the available funds do not cover the "invoice" amount you will go to the prior method of payment - credit card, correct?  You will not be tapping my checking account, correct?

In the past, you randomly picked a date between two dates to charge my credit card.   Will you now be picking a regular time to finalize the bill and a specific week will be the one used to collect money?   Or will it be a guessing game again?

One last question.   If it's no March invoice it will be April's invoice.  Why?   Pick one.  How much advance notice will I be receiving.?

@postcardcountry - We don't have more information we can share further than the e-mail that was sent out, but I can help clarify.

Currently, credits will be applied to  Available funds. You can see these credits as a positive amount in the “expenses’ section within Seller hub or within My eBay. Any credit given will show up during the seller's typical billing cycle.

The payment method for when your available balance doesn't have enough to cover fees should be something you can set in your account. While I don't have that information because I'm not payments trained, if you contact our payments team directly they can help with this to make sure you have the right payment method set up.

When a cost or fee is collected from the seller, we will first look to their Available funds. If there are not enough funds to cover all fees or cost eBay will charge the Top Up Payment Method on file to recoup the amount owed.

Sellers will be charged for their monthly fees at the same time they typically would have been for their regular billing cycle. The difference is that instead of us adding them to a billing invoice, we automatically deduct them from the seller's Available funds.

I am unsure of your last question, to clarify depending on your monthly billing invoice date, you may continue to receive invoices for both March and April. If you do not receive an invoice for March, you won't receive any invoices going forward from that point. You'll be able to tell if there's an invoice on the date we generate your invoices normally. 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 66 of 74
latest reply

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

Hello tyler@ebay 

RE: "Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer"

Order number 19-06553-65247

Here is the follow up details that you requested from last week (posts 19 & 26) regarding the changing of the “Estimated Delivery Dates Shown To The Buyer”  on a seller’s orders details page post sale after the buyer has completed their purchase, postage has been purchased, and the package has been accepted by the USPS.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Community-Chat-February-10-1-00-pm-PT-Gene... 

The screen shots of the order details that I am providing this week is different than the one that I provided last week. This one is current and still in transit awaiting delivery.

Am I wrong in my understanding that "Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer" is locked in once a buyer has paid and completed their purchase?

On this account I noticed that the "Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer" for a sale that I made last week to a buyer in the state of Illinois on 02-09-2012; had changed within the Order Details Page, post sale.

This order originally showed an "Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer" of Feb. 18, 2021, at the time that I purchased postage via eBay shipping labels. 

When I checked the same order details page 48 hours later on 02-11-2021 the "Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer" HAD CHANGED TO Feb. 16, 2021. Thus reducing the estimated delivery time by 2 days. 

I may have missed an update recently but it was my understanding that once a buyer had made their purchase that the "Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer" was locked in and would not change.

I ask because I am worried that for sellers who are in Managed Payments are now experiencing payment hold due to buyers filing INR- Item Not Received cases and this changing of "Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer" is in this example shortening the window by 2 days in which this buyer could possibly open an Item Not Received case.

Here are screen shots of Order Details Page for this particular transaction.

The 1st screen shot is of a scan that I took of my original printed hard copy of that order’s Order Details page which was printed immediately after postage was purchased on 02-09-2021 but before I handed the package over to the USPS and was checked in by them.

The 2nd screen shot was taken after the package was in possession of the USPS approximately 2 days later.

1st Screen Shot
Is Of My Original Printed Hard Copy Which Was

Printed On 02-09-2021

AT THAT TIME THE:
"Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer"
was Feb. 18, 2021

Original Feb. 18 EDD

EDD Changing Post Sale.png

2nd Screen Shot
Screen Shot Taken On 02-011-2021

AT THAT TIME THE:
"Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer"
WAS CHANGED!

To: Feb. 16, 2021

EDD Changed From Feb. 18 to Feb. 16 Post Sale.png

USPS Postage purchased on 02-09-2021 through eBay Labels but the package was not checked in and in possession of the USPS until later that afternoon.

IMO  From what I have observed this past week along with a lot of help from @valueaddedresource it's my belief that whenever the USPS provides updated delivery dates that these are also somehow changing the "Original Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer" within the order details page. But from my understanding that date was always going to remain static and fixed so that sellers would have an unaltered "Estimated Delivery Date Shown To The Buyer" for their records and to help should a INR case be allowed to be opened prematurely by the buyer.

But unless a seller either takes a screenshot or prints hard copies like I do with every transaction then sellers might never know or notice that the original date provided had changed.

This current transaction had its EDD shortened by 2 days and was changed from the 18th to the 16th. Well now its the 17th and that package has yet to be delivered as of this moment.At the end of this I might actually need that extra time that the original Feb. 18, 2021 provides me as a seller.

EDD Changed From Feb. 18 to Feb. 16 Post Sale USPS Tracking.png

@go-bad-chicken thanks for these details. We'll get it reported!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 67 of 74
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

Seller Hub / Orders / Paid and Shipped / Print packing slip and more

This unannounced new feature is still not working.

In fact the more I try to use it, the more I find it does not work.

Can't print two orders at a time -- the PDF does not generate (well, after 2 minutes I gave up).

When I get done testing the software and finding all the pieces of this "improved" software....where do I send my independent contractor quality assurance analyst invoice to?  

This incomplete/untested/nonfunctioning software can cost me an hour a day....

Please help improve my seller experience.

Hey@postcardcountry - If you're having trouble printing bulk shipping labels, this would be something you'd want to work with customer service on, as they can look into the specific errors and report this to our tech team if necessary.

If this isn't the issue you're facing, can you tag me to a new thread in this board with more information on what steps you're taking when running into this issue? I appreciate it!

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 68 of 74
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

tyler@ebay brian@ebay payments_team@ebay 

There were many reports yesterday of delayed/missing payouts.  There was no response or announcement and no updates to the system status page.

I understand Monday was a holiday, so I was not expecting a payout that day. However, in the past, payments continued to be processed over the weekend and on Monday so that most of the money was available for payout on Tuesday. That did not happen this week. Instead, those orders did not move to "available funds" until after the payout on Tuesday and were finally paid out today.

Some sellers on weekly payouts were reporting it skipped the payout this week entirely and is now showing them next payout for next Tuesday.

Was this a "one off" scenario with processing or has there been a change to how eBay is processing payments over weekend/holidays?

Here are a few threads for example:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/No-Payment-Processing-on-2-14/m-p/31618078/highlight/true#M10...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Managed-Payments-withholding-83/m-p/31621537/highlight/true#M... 

@valueaddedresource the information I've found is that funds will appear as available for payout within 1 business day from payment confirmation. Since weekends and holidays aren't considered business days, funds from transactions on those days will show available for payout on the next business day. In this weeks case that would be Tuesday since Monday was a holiday.

Thank you brian@ebay but that does not answer or address my actual question.

I understand when payouts are initiated.

The issue here is in the past, eBay has still be *processing* payments over the weekends and holiday Mondays.  That is to say that orders from Thursday-Friday typically move from "processing" to "completed" status sometime Sunday night (or possibly Monday night in the case of holiday weekends.

This is important because that means completed funds from those Thursday-Friday orders are usually included in the payout process on Monday (or Tuesday in case of a holiday).

This week was completely different.  Orders from Thursday-Friday were still showing as "processing" Tuesday morning and were not changed to "completed" until after the payout on Tuesday, which then pushed them to the Wednesday payout for daily sellers or next Tuesday's payout for weekly sellers.

Again, just to be absolutely clear - the issue was a delay in processing the payments and moving them to "completed" status.

The question is - was that because of "one off" system issues/delays or is this a change in how eBay processes payments that we can expect to see consistently from here forward?

@valueaddedresource my understanding is that the process on weekdays, but I'm not an expert on payments. It may be better to ask a member of payments support by requesting a call here.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 69 of 74
latest reply

@wooden_flower - You are welcome! 

Brittanie,
Community Team

Message 70 of 74
latest reply

@theshoppingmom2 wrote:

Hi everyone!!

I got 2 questions:

1. why I am still not getting email notifications when posting on a thread

2-. why am I getting this everytime I sign into the community

image.png

TIA for the reply

@theshoppingmom2 I don't have an update on the email notification issue, unfortunately 😞

Based on the screenshot you shared it looks like you're trying to access the managed payments group that was recently closed. Try accessing the Community with a link that doesn't direct you to that group and let us know if it solves the issue 🙂

Brian,
Community Team
Message 71 of 74
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

Top Rated Seller Benefits  (from Seller Hub / Seller Level)

"7401 of your active listings qualify for benefits"

Haven't found anything on this.

Questions:  Is this a number frozen when I am evaluated each month?

If so, what happens to the items listed between evaluation?

If not, how often is this number updated?

How do I find the listings eBay has determined do not qualify?  the only link provided goes to a help page, which doesn't help the specific items.

@postcardcountry - that page should upload daily. There isn't a place for you to quickly identify which of your listings aren't qualifying for Top Rated Plus discounts. If you have items that have a longer handling time or don't offer returns those would be the ones to focus on reviewing to see if it's something you can offer to meet the requirements and receive the discount.  

Tyler,
eBay
Message 72 of 74
latest reply

tyler@ebay 

We are fast approaching the 60 day mark on the issue with overcharging taxes on batteries.

I was hopeful two weeks ago when you said you were making progress, but then in last week's chat we were back to "we don't have any updates."

There can be some serious legal implications for companies that profit from overcharging sales tax (even unintentionally) and you yourself have acknowledged the apparent "systemic nature" of the problem.

What does Marie Oh Huber, SVP of Legal Affairs and Lead Council have to say about this?

Hi @valueaddedresource - I'm really sorry, but I don't have an update on this. 

As to what Marie Oh Huber or other executive would have to say on the matter, I'm not certain. That would be something you'd need to ask them directly about. Thanks! 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 73 of 74
latest reply

@bouncemobiletech wrote:

Brian -

You wrote "If the seller does not follow the decision eBay made within the specified timeframe then the case will be closed in the buyers favor. Since you didn't cover the return shipping cost as instructed the case was closed in the buyers favor."

I sent payment yesterday (when the case was still open) for return shipping via Paypal, as instructed by eBay customer service. I sent this payment via Paypal to the buyer's Paypal address that he provided, and I sent screenshots showing this, plus screenshots from the Russian Post website showing the shipping cost.

Here are the instructions I received from eBay Customer Service:

"1. Offer a refund post the return

a. Contact the buyers' nearest postal service provider to know the return shipping cost. This will help you to offer the return shipping cost and ask them to return the product.

b. You simply need to send this cost to the buyer from your PayPal account. We recommend to keep this as a separate payment from the actual transaction amount.

c. Its recommended to provide a return shipping cost PayPal transfer screenshot to be shared with us. This will help us consider the future actions on the claim accordingly. You can upload it directly on the claim."

There was no option within the claim for me to upload, so I asked a customer service rep via chat how to proceed, he told me to send them to the buyer through eBay messages. 

From everything I can tell, I followed the instructions I was given exactly. Can you please explain how I "didn't cover the return shipping cost as instructed"?

@bouncemobiletech if that's the case then it sounds like you may qualify for an appeal. You'll definitely want to work with customer support to see if this decision can be appealed. Thanks!

Brian,
Community Team
Message 74 of 74
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: