cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Delays - Two packages horribly stuck...

So everything I shipped on Dec 11 was delayed a whole lot... and eventually they shook loose and got delivered.

Now I have one from Dec 24 that hasn't been scanned since Philly on Dec 5. Not sure what to do. It's $80 and specialty material. I have 40 more such items the buyer is interested in, but I don't want to list them for him until he receives his package and I can be sure there's no issues (so I don't get too invested if it goes wrong).

The second package got stuck in Rochester on Jan 6. I've had a lot of packages getting stuck in Rochester, but everything shipped after this one is moving through the system normally. 10 Days is a long time for a package to be stuck. It's not very much money, but just the same I want it to arrive and not have to refund an INR.

How to handle? I have thought of reaching out the buyers, but people here say not to do that, plus if they did get delivered and just didn't get a delivery scan and all is fine... I don't want to alert the buyers to the fact that I can't be sure they received it. (That will only matter if they're not honest, but my parents always told me not to give someone the opportunity to cheat you... ie don't leave money on your coffee table and then invite friends over).

C.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: USPS Delays - Two packages horribly stuck...

You can always go to usps.com and open a package research case.  It shows up on the tracking information then.  So if your buyer is tracking they will be able to see that you opened it without saying a word to them.  I always contact my buyers, I have several of these open right now as well.  I feel the more transparent you are the better.  Most appreciate it.  It will only take about 3 minutes to file it on usps.  If you go to the search bar type in "find missing package" and it will come up.  It will ask you a couple questions and the addresses, etc.  Then it will assign you a number and it will take a couple hours for it to pop up on tracking but it will.  Most of the time they close these cases out pretty quick but for some reason the item seems to start moving again.  Could just be a coincidence but at least it shows the buyer that you are aware of what is going on.   

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Same problem. 2 packages have fallen off the face of the earth. Both Priority Mail with 2 Day estimated delivery on USPS label. one was scanned at Post Office on December 29th the other on January 1st.  I have opened Missing Mail Search cases on both with no responses. Both items total 80 bucks and I am starting to get worried.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Thanks for all the replies.

For the guy who bought the banknotes totalling $80, I did the missing mail thing and sent him a note to let him know I did this. He's running into a time frame where he can file an INR, and if he does that, it will force my hand to refund right away.

The second package last scanned in Rochester, and everything I've had going through Rochester in the past couple of weeks has been moving fairly quickly. One missed it's origin scan, missed the Rochester scan, and got it's first scan in Oregon. So I'm thinking it's moving and just not being scanned. In any event, I'll check next week and file a missing mail report if it doesn't turn up by mid week.

Everything else that has been mailed recently seems to be moving (not quickly, but there are new scans every few days). and everything I mailed before Christmas except the package above with the banknotes, has reached it's destination. I guess I've been reasonably lucky to only be missing a couple of packages (I ship about 20 per week).

C.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

If the buyers are not complaining, I would not do anything. I had several packages in mid-December that took around three weeks to be delivered, but they arrived safely without a single peep of complaint out of any of the buyers. Most people understand that there are delays with the mail right now, so unless the buyers are reaching out to you demanding to know where their packages are, I would just wait for them to pop loose.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

I mailed 2 packages on Dec. 11, priority mail.  Worth a lot of money, but buyer did not request insurance.  It is now Jan 16, and 1 package was delivered, but other has been basically stagnant.  8000 dollars and I am very concerned.  I stopped selling on ebay until I can begin to feel safe shipping again.  I would have used ups had I known post office was so messed up, but living in a rural area, all we have is usps locally. 

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

I always Contact my Buyers to keep them informed on Tracking..or Lack of Tracking..and remind them that the USPS is Very Slow and not to worry..that their items will arrive..just MUCH later than expected...

They always appreciate being Updated and will not blame you..knowing it is the USPS that is the problem...

Packages will arrive...just Much later than expected...and buyers deserve to know that from their sellers.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

@patd3283 wrote:

.....  I usually enter the item I'm looking for instead of my name.

That is a fantastic idea. Thank you! I've got about 5 I'm getting updates on now and unless they're getting close to their destinations, I don't know what item it's for. I was tracking 10 or 12 in mid-December and it was a nightmare following the updates.

I have one that was sent at the end of December. It's going to Virginia. It first took a long time to get to New York. Then it was sent to North Carolina. Now it's on the move again, hopefully to Virginia.

I'm in Northern California. Right after the first of the year, someone who's 35 miles away from me bought a book. It went to Southern California (where all my media mail goes for sorting); then it went to San Francisco; then back to So. Cal., then back here and finally delivered 13 days later.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@trbl13 wrote:

I always Contact my Buyers to keep them informed on Tracking..or Lack of Tracking..and remind them that the USPS is Very Slow and not to worry..that their items will arrive..just MUCH later than expected...

They always appreciate being Updated and will not blame you..knowing it is the USPS that is the problem...

Packages will arrive...just Much later than expected...and buyers deserve to know that from their sellers.

There's one wingnut I sold to a couple of times that told me "you guys are always saying the mail is late, I'm not seeing that, I think it's all a bunch of hype". I had to block him after 18 messages asking me where his package was and demanding I make sure it gets delivered.

So I'm a little on edge about unstable people when it comes to this stuff... and as someone who gets anxious when things don't go as planned, I project  that onto others imagining they may feel the same way. So I try to be proactive to put people at ease.

C.

Message 24 of 24
latest reply