cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Delays - Two packages horribly stuck...

So everything I shipped on Dec 11 was delayed a whole lot... and eventually they shook loose and got delivered.

Now I have one from Dec 24 that hasn't been scanned since Philly on Dec 5. Not sure what to do. It's $80 and specialty material. I have 40 more such items the buyer is interested in, but I don't want to list them for him until he receives his package and I can be sure there's no issues (so I don't get too invested if it goes wrong).

The second package got stuck in Rochester on Jan 6. I've had a lot of packages getting stuck in Rochester, but everything shipped after this one is moving through the system normally. 10 Days is a long time for a package to be stuck. It's not very much money, but just the same I want it to arrive and not have to refund an INR.

How to handle? I have thought of reaching out the buyers, but people here say not to do that, plus if they did get delivered and just didn't get a delivery scan and all is fine... I don't want to alert the buyers to the fact that I can't be sure they received it. (That will only matter if they're not honest, but my parents always told me not to give someone the opportunity to cheat you... ie don't leave money on your coffee table and then invite friends over).

C.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

"Now I have one from Dec 24 that hasn't been scanned since Philly on Dec 5. "

A package from december 24 that hasn't been scanned since december 5th?  Time traveling package or it was shipped the year before?

(as a serious response, you and your buyer will just have to keep waiting.  I had a couple packages shipped in late december via usps first-class that took two weeks to receive a scan after the post office departure scan.)

"How to handle?"

Twiddle your thumbs

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

@therogue-trader wrote:

"Now I have one from Dec 24 that hasn't been scanned since Philly on Dec 5. "

A package from december 24 that hasn't been scanned since december 5th?  Time traveling package or it was shipped the year before?

I'm going to guess that it was Jan. 5, not Dec. 5. 

Things are clearing out. The packages will turn up. There's no point in letting your buyers know that you have no idea where their shipment is. Just be patient. If the buyers contact you, tell them that you're monitoring the situation (which you are) and you expect the packages to turn up soon (which they will). Thank them for their patience and say that you expect to see new scans any day now.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I always contact the buyers and they seem to appreciate it.

I have had items not showing any movement from our local distribution center for 20 days ;-(

On the day the item is due to be delivered, I go to the USPS.com site -> tracking then enter the tracking number, click to receive emails and your email address.  I usually enter the item I'm looking for instead of my name.

You will be notified when there is movement - let the buyer know.  When you see movement or about to be delivered, let the buyer know.  Most have been very appreciative and thanked me for keeping on top of their delayed packages.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

We all got affected by those delays and buyers are still waiting...

Let's hope that our buyers understand the issue with our carriers!

Good luck everyone.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

ive got 2 that  are stuck somewhere going to pa  that i mailed out  dec 21. had 2 going  to nc that went out the same day as pa and they just started moving today. so i can feel your pain all the way to arizona, brother

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Everyone I contacted with the delays were very kind and appreciative. One waited for a month and this was BEFORE the big 2 million packages Christmas surge. I did package research cases for the one’s that looked stuck and several of them got delivered quickly after that, but that was again before the Christmas surge. 

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

At the 3 weeks to 1 month point ... that's when i refund. I make it clear that the item will eventually show up.

A week later when the item shows up,  they always pay.

However my items were $10-$15 ... yours are lot more.

Whatever you decide to do, i hope it works out for you. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 8.48.17 PM.png

Cannonball - Supertramp
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

One I shipped on December 4th had no scans after leaving my post office that day then out for delivery and delivered yesterday January 15th. 42 days to get to its destination and it was a priority mail package. I still have a couple from around December 11th that have not been delivered.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Would suggest reaching out to your buyer, apologize and inform them that you are doing a missing mail search with USPS, if that is how you shipped.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

If you are going to contact the buyer, you might consider filing the help request form with USPS. This will add another entry to the tracking that may be seen by the eBay bot as package movement. It is a hack, but it may provide time for the package to start moving again or be delivered before time runs out if the buyer files a INR. It will also provide another tracking entry when USPS closes the help request form. The USPS office at the end of the line should at least try to contact you before they close the request.

At least the buyer will see that you are proactive in gathering information concerning the delay.

Missing Mail and Lost Packages | USPS

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

I always contact them and let them know USPS is running behind and I reassure them they will receive their order. It gives buyers confidence when you communicate with them. I contacted a bunch of buyers over the last 2 weeks regarding shipping delays. Some of them were from early Dec and were still stuck in transit.

If you don't attempt to communicate with them, then the risk of an INR becomes much greater, at least that's been my personal experience anyway.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I recently had a package get stuck for the first time.  I opened a case with USPS.  Within three full working days, the package was delivered and USPS closed the case.  On the USPS website, click on the 'where's my Package' link and fill out a form.  This is the first time this happened to me.  Next time I'll open the case sooner.  I think they tell you how long to wait before opening a case.  I hope this helps.

Johnny

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

Buyer still has not received an item that I sent priority/insured that was sent December 14, 2020. Still in transit but it is in the state that the buyer lives in.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I have two stuck in Greensboro, NC since Jan 5th. I opened postal research cases but all that does is have someone at the “receiving” post office have to give me a call with no information.  How about going and finding the “container” that’s been sitting for weeks and deliver the packages!,,

Message 15 of 24
latest reply