cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free shipping scam beware, Cost me $100 dollars

I won an item for $6 dollars and says free shipping on listing, I payed for the $6 Christmas item and was charged another $100 for the free shipping. Total  $106 dollars. tried to cancel immediately and ebays system wouldn't  let me. I contacted ebay and they were no help . I'm trying to get ahold of seller.  Anyways to let all buyers and sellers know that is can happen to you, what a mess. Just wanted to give a fun white elephant present for christmas and this turned out to be a big mess. Scary stuff. I can upload all the screen shots if needed. 

Message 1 of 77
latest reply
76 REPLIES 76

Re: Free shipping scam beware, Cost me $100 dollars

Agree. Common sense.  Why would a buyer think paying $6.00 for such an item that is heavy and worth $$$ + (20 #'s ?) and has to cost lots to ship is something a seller could do?

Not saying the buyer should be charged shipping when it was listed as Free Shipping. Just saying this was a fluke of a sale. 

Message 16 of 77
latest reply

I emailed to seller and they still haven't refunded my money.

Message 17 of 77
latest reply

@moonbeamcollectibles wrote:

Does ebay allow sellers to add in extra shipping charges after listing ends?

One caviat, if the seller is using business policies they could add a $100 handling charge to their policy.  Not sure how that shows up on a listing but that could be how the $100 snuck into the final total with "free shipping".

Message 18 of 77
latest reply

What is really weird is that it show ls that they are from both California and China in the sellers location settings. I think their China sellers trying to pretend their in California.

Message 19 of 77
latest reply

I'm still curious as to why you paid, or was the payment automated?

Message 20 of 77
latest reply

We include a (small) handling charge in our shipping, and it shows up in the shipping total.  AFAIK, you can't do that with Free Shipping, and/or it would show as $100 shipping/handling in that case, though it doesn't break down what's shipping and what's the handling charge.  This is certainly an odd situation.

Message 21 of 77
latest reply

Your seller is registered in China, could that be the reason why they sent $100 shipping fee?

Message 22 of 77
latest reply

I would look into reporting the seller now and not wait. 

The seller knows what they did.

I can also say that an item that big, I as a buyer, I would have contacted the seller to question the fee shipping.  The item is stamp, coin, or ball card. 

Message 23 of 77
latest reply

I looked at it and it shows up as a auction that you won for $6.00. Looking at all the sellers other items it appears that they didn't get enough for the item you won. You need to work it out with the seller. Per the ebay rules you should be paying and receiving it as stated in the listing with the shipping free. If they end up shipping it to you just request a return thru eBay as a item not as described. Once you request it then eBay will generate a return label at no cost to you. The seller will have to pay the return shipping. Upon its return you will get your money back. The seller will end up paying the money on the shipping both ways then. The item looks quite heavy and expensive to ship. 

Message 24 of 77
latest reply

@moonbeamcollectibles wrote:

I emailed to seller and they still haven't refunded my money.

In your "Purchase History" do you see an option to cancel the order? Either on top or clicking "More options"? If so, use that to request that the order be cancelled. Once the seller cancels the order, eBay will refund you. The purchase has to be cancelled first before you can be refunded by eBay. So do not ask the seller for a refund. Instead ask the seller to cancel the order. 

Message 25 of 77
latest reply

That's only partially true.  The seller can absolutely send a refund without actually cancelling the order, but either way it's seller-initiated, and they would of course be wise to cancel the order.  There's no reason not to ask the seller for a "refund", though.  They'll know what to do, or else will ship it and have to take a return at their cost, but either way the buyer isn't on the hook.

Message 26 of 77
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

I would look into reporting the seller now and not wait. 

I do not believe that eBay allows a seller to edit a listing and add a shipping charge to a 'free shipping' listing after an auction ends. So I am not convinced this was a 'scam' or what the buyer would report the seller for.

If the seller won't refund or cancel the order, a dispute might be necessary to get the seller's attention.

It's too bad the OP chose to pay the extra $100 in the first place. I would have refused.

Message 27 of 77
latest reply

Obviously bait and switch.  False advertising.

Report the seller for search manipulation or misleading description.

The seller is in China shipping product from California.

Also, why would you expect free shipping for such a heavy piece???

Message 28 of 77
latest reply

@thelongball 

. If they end up shipping it to you just request a return thru eBay as a item not as described.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening a "false" claim, and suggesting that someone open a "false" claim are violations of eBay policy.

Message 29 of 77
latest reply

I would expect free shipping no matter how big or heavy, if a seller lists it that way. Mistake or not, the seller is the one in charge of creating their listings and making listing mistakes. 

If a seller doesn't think they should be liable for their own mistakes, stop being a seller. It's YOUR job as a seller to treat people right. If you find inventory for a screaming deal, you take the deal. You won't entertain the seller later on asking for more money because they sold it too cheap. Same thing applies here. 

Message 30 of 77
latest reply