cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers being prompted to start returns.

I buy and sell on eBay.  Today I noticed an item I had purchased was listed under "Orders" with the prompt "Return this item" hightlighted in blue.  I as well as the seller had left positive feedback for each other and I was more than satisfied with the product and service, so why prompt me to start a return?  Was the seller in trouble, or was the product being recalled?  No, eBay thought it would just be easier to start a return if the the prompt was highlighted.

I don't like this as a buyer because it creates doubts about the transaction, and I don't like it as a seller because it may also put those thoughts in my buyer mind.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Buyers being prompted to start returns.

Oh yes they can. Especially when they are wanting to run others out of the business. Once that happens, they have ALL the business and can do whatever they want and the buyers will have no other choice than to purchase from them. I've been around long enough to remember these tactics when they were first used for that purpose. Now they are coming back again and the big guys are fighting it out for top slot because they understand exactly what is on the line. We are all just pawns in a rich man's game.
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

After 20 years selling on ebay, I also started NO RETURNS a few days ago. Like you said, 10% discount just ain't worth the trouble, especially when I gotta rush to PO to send items out within one biz day even in blizzards, storms, and etc.

I also changed one biz day shipping to 3 days to boot. Buyers don't care about Power Seller's A+ ratings anyways...they don't even look at that "star." If you have something they want, they will buy. I am done playing ebay's games!

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

I question every return, and cannot afford the try it and see if I like it type of customer. The cheaters will not follow thru if you tell them that you want the original packaging and the same item. No swap outs. I would rather not have made the sale then to deal with a return. eBay seems to think we can afford it. Well if you think about it eBay has nothing to loose. They own the platform you own the product. It's 99% your time and money on the line to loose. I used to sell on Amazon until they made me do a return of $119.00 for some JA that could not fly an RC helicopter and said "it was not for him". I had 500 items on Amazon at the time. Took it all down. These selling platforms all have a monopoly. eBay made over $4K off of my sales last holiday season and because of a few morons I am being told my standard is low and I will have to go back to a Basic store if I keep up the good work. It only took 4 morons to make me look bad out of 700 sales transactions. I call it ridiculous. Worse part about it these buyers were cheaters/rip-offs. If you ask me eBay is shooting itself in the foot. I am not Wal-Mart, and I will not tolerate cheaters just to continue selling on eBay.
Message 18 of 34
latest reply

did not realize ebay put this opition out there ,would explane a rash of returns latley and claiming damaged for a partcial refund .never had this problem in the past selling since 2005

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

I just think it strange that everything I buy shows up in my activity summary with a big blue "RETURN THIS ITEM" action button beside it. When I sell something, make extra effort to describe it honestly, and to ship it promptly, my buyer now sees, even before receiving it, a RETURN THIS ITEM prompt.

I no longer offer returns on anything I ship and pay the freight.

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

I have had 60 day return policy for 8 years. I have had maybe 2 returns that actually were returned & about 10 that threatened to return but did not. Most of the buyers that want returns are trying to get the item for free. & I personally think thst a lot of sellers give in & offer discount to prevent return.  I never offer discount & will eat the cost if it is returned & costs me money. I have another site that I sell antiques on & it is the same way there.  Buyers claim damage or some weird reason to get return but when you offer no discount & tell them you are on the auto return program it usually doesnt happen.  Try it sometime. Unless it is a legit claim the item will never be returned..

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

On this subject, and deservant of its own entire thread, ALL SELLERS should see the new insane, absurd, idiotic, moronic policies that started March 1. 

I just had a buyer open a $3,200 return case on parking garage equipment because he claims the item 'isn't as described'.  Well, he is 100% wrong - it's exactly as described, pictured, and every t was crossed and i dotted in my listing.  It just doesn't work with his system, so he wants to return it.  I do not accept returns, especially on high dollar items - it also cost me $150 to ship.  We went back and forth, he opened a case.  I sent him numerous messages in the case.  I sent photos proving the condition and use, and in writing on letterhead documentation from 2 outside professional companies detailing that my items worked, and why they don't work with his system.  He is using a system that has software so out of date they won't work with this equipment.  He says it's my fault for selling it, I've proven way beyond a shadow of a doubt it isn't.  I uploaded all this to ebay to prove my case.  Oh, one more thing - the buyer admitted in WRITING in his messages he had no idea what he was buying, he just thought it should work for his friend who isn't on ebay.

I have spent hours on this.  I called ebay to get the case closed, since it had been over a week and no buyer response.  Because it is a high value claim, I actually got the high value US-based appeals team.  I've spoken with 3 of them for over 2 hours, and let me break the news to everyone.  Ebay will not, for any reason, at all, ever close a buyer return case for the seller again.  As of March 1, any buyer who opens a case for ANY REASON whatsoever, as long as they select 'not as described'/'item damaged' etc, will absolutely 100% have ebay force a seller to accept the return.  Not only that, but pay for the return and fees.  This is from the top of the top you can speak with.  Buyers can now return anything for any reason and there's absolutely utterly nothing a seller can do about it but accept it, and if you don't ebay will force it on you and it will go against you as a case where they had to step in, and you will forefeit all fees.  

I was shocked.  I sell very technical, high dollar, high shipping value commercial parts.  I went round and round with the supervisors for hours to ensure I was hearing them right.  This guy did not know what he was buying, bought it for someone else, didn't read the listing fully, doesn't have the proper operating parking garage system to use it....and admitted it....and I have provided photo documentation, manufacturer documentation, and installer documentation proving the item is working/what it is/why it won't work for the buyer.... .... and ebay is forcing the return.  I spent $150 on shipping one way and $400 on fees, took 2 hours to prep it for shipment, and now have a $3200 hold on my money and have nothing.  

I could write a book about what I heard and learned, but just wanted to chime in.  You can list things as no returns, as-is, for parts/not working, do EVERYTHING right, prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the buyer is wrong or fraudlent...and ebay from now on will NEVER, EVER, FOR ANY REASON AT ALL step in and close a case in favor of the seller.  They literally used the work 100% - from now on, any buyer return WILL go against you and be forced on you.  

They said, for good measure, that no Mr. Anderson, if a buyer selects a return for reasons of remorse or such and such, we won't allow it.  Well, how long do you think it will take for buyers to figure out this strategy, geniouses in California??!!!  Even if not, take a buyer like mine, who is outright in the wrong.  He picked 'not as described', so it doesn't even matter.  

This has devestated me.  I'm a small time seller, full time, but small.  My account is negative $2,800 now.  I can't even sell on it.  I can't even articulate how this has destroyed me.  And do you know what they said to me?  That it's the cost of doing business now, and sellers need to be prepared for it.  And that when I get it back, I can simply re-list it.  I told them, why the hell would I reslist it and go through this again!!  There's absolutely NOTHING to prevent another idiot from doing this!

To say I'm mad is the understatement of the year.  

Please, every seller, everyone, look into this - look at the new policy - call ebay about it - spread this word.  It is a slap in the face to all of us.  Actually, it's a sword to the neck of us.  It might not be so bad if you're selling $1 socks and get hit with a return, but to those who sell high dollar and high shipping items, it is a deathknell.  

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

AMEN  TO   THAT

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

@waverunr_02 wrote:

... This has devestated me.  I'm a small time seller, full time, but small. 

Please, every seller, everyone, look into this - look at the new policy - call ebay about it - spread this word.  It is a slap in the face to all of us.  Actually, it's a sword to the neck of us.  It might not be so bad if you're selling $1 socks and get hit with a return, but to those who sell high dollar and high shipping items, it is a deathknell.  

So sorry to hear this. I hope something better comes out of it to outweigh the bad 😞

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
Message 25 of 34
latest reply

I would like to drop returns also but my sales have been poor for about three months now and I’m afraid it will get worse if I drop the returns.  I was also “coached “ to ship international through not only the global shipping program but also the other worldwide shipping option in order to boost sales.  I hope it’s not a mistake...

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

It apparently doesn't matter whether you offer returns. Ebay allows it and that's that. I just had a buyer want to return something and I said "No, I'm not Amazon. The auction clearly states I don't do refunds". He called me all kinds of names and then got ebay to allow the return. So I'm out the money. I'm going to take a picture of the item so ebay can see he was lying but they won't care. Ebay is no longer what it was so I'm done. I removed all my listings. If Paypal wasn't so big, I would get rid of it too. But they handle payments for tons of companies and if you quit them you might have trouble with other companies.

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

It apparently doesn't matter whether you offer returns. Ebay allows it and that's that. I just had a buyer want to return something and I said "No, I'm not Amazon. The auction clearly states I don't do refunds". He called me all kinds of names and then got ebay to allow the return. So I'm out the money. I'm going to take a picture of the item so ebay can see he was lying but they won't care. Ebay is no longer what it was so I'm done. I removed all my listings. If Paypal wasn't so big, I would get rid of it too. But they handle payments for tons of companies and if you quit them you might have trouble with other companies.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

I feel ya. I had the exact thing happen last week. The new rule is, they don't look at the messages between buyer and seller (although, I'm not sure why I am still on hold for 2 minutes+) They ONLY go off of what the reason is for return. That's it. 

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

The returns are being made through the 'Buyers Protection' that eBay offers. Once the item is returned, you as a seller have 45 days to file an Appeal. This is your 'Sellers Protection' that eBay offers its sellers. If there is anything wrong, or different than the way you shipped it, it would qualify for this protection which can give you your payment back and/or the shipping costs both ways if you paid those as well. Buyers are not allowed to damage, soil, or destroy anything they are returning, so I urge you to review your returns thoroughly and if there are any issues contact the 'Resolution Department' and explain what has happened and ask to file for an Appeal of the previous ruling in favor for the buyer. If you feel the cost of shipping were wrong but the item arrived in fine shape, then just ask for the cost of shipping. They can't help you if you do not follow through and do your part. Give it a try and see how your Sellers Protection can work for you.

The first part of the case is for the buyer and the second is for the seller. Too many sellers stop at the first part thinking that is the end. It is only if you do not follow through with the second part which is an Appeal.
Message 30 of 34
latest reply