cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is something massively wrong with search!

I tried to list a doll this morning, and, while researching comparisons, I noticed that the total items shown didn't match the total search results. It showed there were 6 results, but only 1 was shown:

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.44.02.png

I thought maybe it was a "clear your cache", etc. issue, so I did all that and got the same result. Then I tried searching from a private window, where the same search yielded accurate results. Incidentally, I had several items to list and this happened with every item I searched, so it wasn't a one-off.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.48.02.png

Another member posted here about how ad blockers are preventing promoted listings from appearing in search, and the results were accurate after I disabled AdBlock.

However, all my listings are promoted, I've used chrome with AdBlock as an extension for years, I research comps routinely, and sponsored listings have never been "hidden" like this, nor have the number of results been noticeably different from the number of listings shown.

I don't know if this is a change with AdBlock and/or chrome and/or eBay, but I do know that my sales have been down dramatically for about 2 months. I've previously accepted this fate as just part of the business, but if promoted items aren't appearing in searches for people who use ad blockers (literally everyone I know), it's safe to say that's going to affect sales.

velvet@ebay:

This certainly seems like an issue that eBay needs to address immediately, especially with the constant emphasis on promoted listings. Sales for everyone using promoted listings are being lost every single second.

Message 1 of 130
latest reply
129 REPLIES 129

Yes,this needs to be addressed,along with many more issues you have probably heard about going on with sellers

Thumbs Up for bringing this to attention

Message 2 of 130
latest reply

From the number of issues (over quite a few years) and the length of time to fix them (when/if they do get fixed), one might almost think that most (or many) of the teams are populated by skeleton crews and that the ebay vendors have other things to do that they figure is more important than making corrections for ebay.  Perhaps ebay should hire more people and fewer 'bots.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 3 of 130
latest reply

I completely agree, the only difference with this issue is that it directly deters the purchase of promoted items, which eBay's entire business model revolves around.

I can't imagine a world where a multi-billion dollar online company doesn't put making products actually visible on their website at the top of their priorities list 😩

Message 4 of 130
latest reply

I doubt ebay likes it anymore than sellers do..............

Message 5 of 130
latest reply

I have been complaining about search for some time now, & It seemed like no one was listening, Hopefully they are now!, I don't care who they listen to as long as they listen, & Most of all FIX It!!

Message 6 of 130
latest reply

@popblox wrote:

I tried to list a doll this morning, and, while researching comparisons, I noticed that the total items shown didn't match the total search results. It showed there were 6 results, but only 1 was shown:

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 11.44.02.png

I thought maybe it was a "clear your cache", etc. issue, so I did all that and got the same result. Then I tried searching from a private window, where the same search yielded accurate results. Incidentally, I had several items to list and this happened with every item I searched, so it wasn't a one-off.

Another member posted here about how ad blockers are preventing promoted listings from appearing in search, and the results were accurate after I disabled AdBlock.

However, all my listings are promoted, I've used chrome with AdBlock as an extension for years, I research comps routinely, and sponsored listings have never been "hidden" like this, nor have the number of results been noticeably different from the number of listings shown.

I don't know if this is a change with AdBlock and/or chrome and/or eBay, but I do know that my sales have been down dramatically for about 2 months. I've previously accepted this fate as just part of the business, but if promoted items aren't appearing in searches for people who use ad blockers (literally everyone I know), it's safe to say that's going to affect sales.

velvet@ebay:

This certainly seems like an issue that eBay needs to address immediately, especially with the constant emphasis on promoted listings. Sales for everyone using promoted listings are being lost every single second.

Add block??

try turning it off and see what you get. clear your browser as well.

Message 7 of 130
latest reply

@donsdetour wrote:

Add block??

try turning it off and see what you get. clear your browser as well.

Yes, thank you - as I mentioned in my OP, I tried both of those things and the listings are viewable after AdBlock is disabled. The majority of buyers aren't going to have a clue that they need to disable anything in order to view accurate search results. 

The issue of a work-around isn't in question, the problem is there no indication to users that search results are hidden if an ad blocker is active in their browser.

Message 8 of 130
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I doubt ebay likes it anymore than sellers do..............

That determination could probably be more effectively ascertained if eBay acknowledged or addressed the fact that the problem even exists 🤗

Message 9 of 130
latest reply

This exact thing happened back in 2019. My sales completely tanked out of no where. As they have again these last 2 months. I remember finding information on these forums about it being an issue with AdBlock. I ended up coming across a YouTube video from The Auction Professor. If you search Adblock ebay the auction professor a few videos will come up.

I remember really worrying it’ll never be fixed. I don’t remember exactly what happened but I do know, the issue ended up getting fixed and returned to normal sales. I think the whole ordeal lasted less then a month though. This time, it’s persistent and seems to continue to get worse.

Message 10 of 130
latest reply

They did acknowledge it a couple of years ago..............and "were working" toward a solution.......

Problem is that FTC (or whatever agency) requires ads to be shown/declared as ads.......and that includes the PL listings.......and as such the ad blockers can find/block them.  so the only thing they could do is notify buyers, as so many other sites do, that items are being blocked.

adsteam@ebay

anything you can tell us about the ad block problem? 

Message 11 of 130
latest reply

@popblox  I did your same search in FireFox with AdblockPlus enabled and then disabled. The listing outlined in green is the only one that showed up with ad blocker enabled - disabled showed 7 results even though it said 6.

2022-04-23_21-37-34.png

The really odd thing is only one of the "missing" listings showed as Sponsored - so it's not entirely clear what the relationship might be to Promoted Listings.  Maybe somehow "sponsored" is still in the background because the seller has included those items in a PL campaign, even if the buyer is being shown the organic/non-sponsored version at that time?

I did find this in the adblockplus ABP filters source, so there definitely seems to be something to the idea this is related to PL, just not sure how to explain the ones that don't say sponsored.  Hopefully the ads team can shed some light on things.

2022-04-23_22-03-34.png

Message 12 of 130
latest reply

Can you redo your test @popblox after turning your promoted listings off completely? 

Message 13 of 130
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

They did acknowledge it a couple of years ago..............and "were working" toward a solution.......

Problem is that FTC (or whatever agency) requires ads to be shown/declared as ads.......and that includes the PL listings.......and as such the ad blockers can find/block them.  so the only thing they could do is notify buyers, as so many other sites do, that items are being blocked.

That does make sense, however, I'm not sure this is a "sponsored" listing issue at all. After I made this post, I tried removing promotions from all my listings and they still weren't appearing in search results. So, I ended about 15 of the listings, did "sell similar", and promoted none of them.

The result is the same. Below is the exact same search, the window on the left has ad blocker disabled - when I disable ad blocker, I can see accurate results. In other words, my listings are not visible in search results when an ad blocker is active, even when they're NOT promoted.

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 21.25.29.png

Message 14 of 130
latest reply

This seems like a massive issue that must be effecting nearly all sellers. Is it not? Why is there not more attention on the issue?

Message 15 of 130
latest reply