cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller Hub, Managed Payments, Free Returns, Free Shipping, Seller since 1997 and now this!

I have been selling on ebay since 1997 and have adapted to each change on seller hub, managed payments, 1 day handling, free returns, free shipping and now ebay has allowed a buyer to return a used nightgown, without tags, and a brand I have never purchased nor sold. The buyer sent a picture prior to using my paid for label and I immediately let her know that was not mine. She would not respond. Called customer service and let them know and they said just to wait for return. Sure enough I got back her used nightie. Contacted customer service and they said to file claim-which I did. Now they have closed it siding with the buyer:

We understand that you received your item in a different condition than when you shipped it, but unfortunately we couldn't determine that this was caused by the buyer, or that this was something in the buyer's control.

A refund of US $32.00 was issued on Sep 1, 2020 to the buyer. The refund includes the purchase price plus original shipping.

The refund amount will be recovered from you by eBay.

It is not the money but the principal.  It appears as long as a buyer provides a return tracking number showing

delivered sellers are out of luck.  I have been blessed this is a first and hopefully last but do not have a good feeling about dealing with customer service or investing a lot in new inventory.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Seller Hub, Managed Payments, Free Returns, Free Shipping, Seller since 1997 and now this!

yeah but by offering free returns your giving a wide open door for customers to start returning at an alarming rate you think we have issues with item not as described i feel if i put up free returns the problems will be 4-5 times worse 

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Re: Seller Hub, Managed Payments, Free Returns, Free Shipping, Seller since 1997 and now this!

@ranger6230 wrote:

I have been selling on ebay since 1997 and have adapted to each change on seller hub, managed payments, 1 day handling, free returns, free shipping

One-day handling, free returns and free shipping are not things that you are required to "adapt to".

They aren't even requirements for Top Rated Seller status.

They are all optional services that you may choose to offer to your buyers if you feel like it doing so.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@robla3575 wrote:

yeah but by offering free returns your giving a wide open door for customers to start returning at an alarming rate you think we have issues with item not as described i feel if i put up free returns the problems will be 4-5 times worse 

You don't have to offer free returns (I don't) to qualify for the protection.  Being a TRS also provides the protection if the return qualifies.

@robla3575 

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

Don't forget to report her using the Report A Buyer link.    Sorry it happened to you!

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@robla3575   yeah but by offering free returns your giving a wide open door for customers to start returning at an alarming rate

Yeah, because that's what people are dying to do; purchase, wait for it to arrive, hassle returning and then waiting for their money back. A 30 day circle of 'no money'. Think about it... and offering Free Returns does NOT entice returns. Again, buyers buy to use/keep/enjoy- not 'loan' their $ out waiting for it to only be returned with 0.0% interest. 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

Next Step Should be Your State Police OR Magistrate -FRAUD Has Been Performed On The End Of The Buyer (Internet/Deception/Merchandise Tampering)

Same Thing Happened In My State On E-Bay A Seller Sold A Laptop;A Return Happened and Same Seller Received Different Laptop Damaged-Seller Went To State Police and Filed The Charges Against The Out Of State Buyer

This is The Realistic Way To Help Ourselves-It Does Deeply Involve Ourselves Although This Is The Only Way To Resolve The Matter

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Your first time being ripped off after well over 100,000 sales? Let it go.

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Oh no! You are missing the point. I have been ripped off but the returns have been few and always been my item -not out and out fraud. Where is seller protection? I contacted buyer the minute she sent a photo of her nightgown four days after it was delivered. No response. Then uses my return label and sends her old used one. Message her again. (ebay customer service reads all the messages with no response from her)

The reason I am angry is she got her money back because tracking showed delivered and the case was closed against me! Think about it-I paid her to buy it and ship to her-then paid her to ship me her old nightie. Really? New sellers need to be aware this is the process.

My appeal resulted in me having to go the Sheriff's office (during covid) and sit with criminals (in masks so exposure may not have been much) and pretty much told "it happens all the time on ebay".

If no one complains-it will only get worse. I was punished basically for her bad behavior.

Lesson learned-once I get the report and submit-I am done and will have to let it go.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Definitely read like an "automated" message the OP received from eBay.

Too much automation is making eBay more and more disgusting for a lot of good people!

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@little*blackdog wrote:

Definitely read like an "automated" message the OP received from eBay.

Too much automation is making eBay more and more disgusting for a lot of good people!

Yep we are becoming BOT bait any more.

As for the switched item it is actually theft. (original item was stolen), and not fraud FYI.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

I think the buyers who are doing this, do it regularly and it's a "sport" for them.  Yes, they pay and wait and file and wait some more for their refund.  They also get to keep the item in most cases... either legitimately or stealing it by switching it with some junk of their own... so to the "players" of this game, the time spent is probably well worth it more often than not.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Yeah, as soon as they forcibly switch me over to managed payments I'm done. I've heard nothing but nightmares,  I prefer to sleep well.  They just burned my brother for $1,000.00 and he has no recourse. #sellerbeware

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

Update, I now have a defect based on:

A case closed without seller resolution is any case the seller is unable to resolve with the buyer prior to the buyer asking us to step in and help with a request, or escalating a case to PayPal for review, and eBay or PayPal determines the seller is responsible.

Lesson-pay buyer to buy your item-then pay them to return their old used cheap brand. Lose selling fee associated with sale.  Let's see what happens after I get the police report back in a couple of weeks. I am still angry that ebay was so blind determining the seller is responsible when presented with all the facts. Even the last customer service rep could not believe the bots did this over such a small value item.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

I am willing to bet that way too many of us are not really making any money here.   Too many "little" charges with both Ebay and PayPal.  Yesterday I refunded 3.85 an excess shipping charge and the buyer got 3.40. 

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

I'm curious how you proved to the police that you received the used gown in the mail or what does your report state?  

I know you are an experienced seller and know that an unresolved by seller defect occurs anytime you ask ebay to step in.   They have made it clear they do not want to handle litigating returns. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply