cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$$ SCROUNGE LOUNGE $$ JUNE 2017 $$

If someone has already started the June thread, I apologize; a site mod can merge.

Spent 6 hours today on the 400-mile yard sale.  About what I expected - a few keepers, a few listers and a few to take to a local auction house.

We had to start late because my better half (who is just a tad older than me) had to go to the local Social Security office to get enrolled for her age 62 benefits.  For some reason she seemed to be walking just a little slower than me today while we were out scrounging.

Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Re: $$ SCROUNGE LOUNGE $$ JUNE 2017 $$

Well they're "new" but more New Old Stock which I list as used for the condition but then specify they're NOS uncut & factory folded.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 76 of 147
latest reply

@mississippi*mercantile wrote:

Mornin' All.

Well I guess I just quit my JOB! I hate quitting (I don't think I have ever quit a job in my life, (not official til I write and deliver a letter), but STILL.

Just talked to the principal, they're not gonna change anything so I don't think so on the comeback, I gave him my issues/concerns as nicely as I could,  I know money is always the bottom line. We had a nice conversation, but I'm gonna slow walk it since I have time to think about it.  I will still be going in to see him, return my wand and battery charger, and may or may not have a letter in my hand.

Hey Sun, I listed a few yesterday and today and one just sold!  A little cigar cutter I found in a box of rusty  junk from an auction a few YEARS ago...yup, that's how long it takes me to accomplish a sale hahahaha, too funny. 

Have you even read the Official eBay Bible by Jim Griffith...goggle  says third edition other's out of date?  Just wondering if it's worth the buy to find how to navigate the new trendy wave niche and such.

Message 77 of 147
latest reply

Kyal, I think that 'new' copy is 10 months old so probably out of date!

BTW, congrats on your great sales and ROI.

Patd

Meant pinkrose on Griff's book.

Message 78 of 147
latest reply

Wasn't impressed by Griff's answers (or non answers) in weekly chat etc so not sure about his "eBay bible".

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 79 of 147
latest reply

Visit to the 'ville to see daughter was nice, but the weather coming back was terrible. Any time you see traffic on a flat interstate highway going 35 MPH, you know it's bad.
Message 80 of 147
latest reply

Sun, I'm glad those storms missed you.

M*M, sorry you have to quit your job. What changes were you hoping for?

Happy Anniversary - Justy and Mr. on 44 years; Patd and Mr. 55 years; job(s) well done!

Kyal, great sales.

LOL @ Yme wondering whether you were beckoned for an exciting outing or babysitting. Sorry it was the latter.

Pat, congrats to Ethan on straight A's and getting a job/jobs. His go get 'em spirit will serve him well in life.

Re: spelling/grammar. It doesn't count in text messages or on message boards, says me! LOL. I hate to think I'm judged by my frequent use of fragments here. By the way I didn't notice Kyal's or Laurie's misspelling until it was pointed out. The brain compensates for those little errors.

Now don't get me started about poor grammar and misspelling in news articles. That's another story.

Yme, I'm tired from reading about all the packing and lugging of boxes. How often does your LL come by? It doesn't feel like it's been a year.

Kyal, sorry that bad weather interfered with your journey home but I'm glad you had a nice visit with your DD.

We scrounged Saturday and I continued my no-buy moratorium. DD & my aunt picked up a few things.

Belated Happy Father's Day to the Dad's.

We went to dinner with my folks and nephew last night to celebrate my nephew's birthday. His siblings both recently moved to Florida, and he and his sister share the same birthday (six years apart) so the solo celebration probably felt a little weird.

Still hot here, but not as bad as last week.

Message 81 of 147
latest reply

Thanks all for the Congrats for Ethan.  He's a really great kid.  We have a good time w/him when he comes over here.  But he's so busy we don't get to see him that often, which I knew would happen the older he got 😞

Sorry for the bad weather on the way back home Kyal.  Glad you had a good visit w/your daughter though.

Sorry about quitting  your job MM.  Maybe you'll find something else that's easier on the ole' body...

I never say no on babysitting the grandkids.  They grow up so fast I don't want to miss being with them.  I'm not crazy about having to get up early during the school year, but I'll do whatever I have to do to be able to spend time with them. 

We've cooled down a little here.  Not in the 90's & humid right now like the last few weeks have been.  Had several nice showers late yesterday so it was nice not to have go out & water the pansies all morning long today 😉

Have been doing laundry, washed & refilled the hummer feeder, cleaned bird baths & got those refilled & we tore the gas grill apart & cleaned it & got her back together.  We're using Mr.'s mom & dads grill.  They bought it back in the early 60's!  So far she still looks good & works great.  But things were made a lot better back then 😉 

Nice you were able to celebrate 2 b-days on 1 outing Kay.

Thats how it is for us with Ethan & his dad ( our oldest son ).  Both born on May 16th.

I'm hoping to work on listings tomorrow.  My sales have been blah the last few weeks so it's hard to get motivated to list, but I just keep keeping on disappointed_relieved

1 more week until BB starts!  Finally something good to watch.  But they did start some new series on PBS so we've been watching those the last few nights.

Have to get dinner going, so hope everyone has a nice evening.   

Message 82 of 147
latest reply

Kay, I see our personal comments and the news articles in the same light. mostly.    In both, we/they are giving information to others.  I agree that it's no biggie for those of us who are only talking with each other, it's not something we do for pay but only as entertainment.  With news articles, the authors are being paid for their efforts so some of their titles and/or comments sure could be better!  Typical:  When speaking of a well known person who "discovered she had cancer on television", we know what was meant.  However, it's worded as if she didn't have cancer when not on television. 

Laurie

My broom brakes for all thrift stores.
Message 83 of 147
latest reply

entertainment, that's about right, Laurie, (and irritation, depending on how much one reads I suppose). Some people can't help but notice.  Some people can't help but comment!

Happy 2nd day of summer, all! It's another beautiful day with no snow or wind or minus temps. I GUESS I have to run over to town and apply for some bennies. I haven't been back to see the princiPAL. See, that's how you remember how to spell principal, cuz h/she's your PAL. haha. 3rd or 4th grade tip. I'm going to wait til after I get a hip xray and see my surgeon at the end of the month, see what he says. I think that in and out of car **bleep** 25 times a day is part of the problem.

Not much shakin' here. My boulevard has flags all over it, "markers"  from all the utility people, phone, cable, power, city... all I want to do is put a few plants around the power pole and the two cable and phone boxes in front of that. Everyone showed up like I was excavating the whole yard but I had to call because well, better safe than sorry. I told the lady only in front of the pole, but they did the whole boulevard anyway. Now I do know exactly where the cables are, not that I use them, it's a new company in town HBC I think. I was one of the lucky ones who got one of their boxes. THANKS. Oh well, that entire corner needs a lot of work anyway, not even sure I want to put these plants out there,  because there is a lilac tree, this thing is a tree, not a bush, but not much I can do about that. Anyway, there is a section of fence in front of the tree that I'm taking down. I took down another section of corner fence on opposite corner last week, the one my girlfriend fell through...it was rotten and hard to mow around. I left the last section there because the posts are solid. I have some little plant baskets I want to hang on that last vestage of fence because I'm sentimental.

My neighbor is so funny. He loves to mow up past our boundary line to make his yard look bigger. Every time. Whatever Bob. I'll let you do that because you also spray weed killer on that side LOL

Message 84 of 147
latest reply

Kay, Labor, mostly, have to resolve my hip issue and get some answers and advice from the surgeon about how I've been using/overusing it. I should know more then. Another week.

Looks like I've talked myself into yard work today! I really hate driving 50 miles for anything. I am such a procrastinator.

I looked all over for a bag of vintage patterns that I had set aside. Can't find it yet.
I need the JUJU turned on.
Message 85 of 147
latest reply

Too true, M*M that "Some people can't help but notice.  Some people can't help but comment"

With some people, what they hear goes in one ear and out the other.  For me, it often comes in one ear and out my mouth, without making a pause. 

My generation learned that same method of saying princiPAL to differentiate between that and principle. 

Sounds as if your yard will be gorgeous when you finish your plans for it.  I'm not sure if it's true where you live or not but in some areas if that neighbor continues to encroach on your property with no protest from you it becomes his property eventually.  I'm not sure of the period of time involved for that.

Laurie

Message 86 of 147
latest reply

just a drive-by to say hi and TGIF!

looks like we'll be rained out tomorrow 😞

Message 87 of 147
latest reply

Laurie I'm not sure they'd consider mowing over the property line a valid reason. Now if he moved the fence and MM said nothing, that might be different.

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 88 of 147
latest reply

Yme, a relative of mine lived out in the country, northern MN.  He didn't farm.  His neighbor did farm.  For three consecutive years, the neighbor planted a little closer to him.  Someone warned him what could happen.  He looked it up and it was true so he had his land surveyed and planted half a dozen small trees along the property line.   The neighbor backed off.

Laurie

Message 89 of 147
latest reply

hahahaa Laurie, that'll be the day (that my yard is "gorgeous" and/or that he's gonna extend his boundary by mowing). Sounds like a very old "law" since before the inception of property abstracts, and I have that and so does the county. He would love that though haha. He's such a dork, can't have a weed or a stick in his yard (He actually picks them up and throws them back in my yard. Geez, y'already picked it up man. LOL I've seen him do it.

Hello Drive By Kay!
Message 90 of 147
latest reply