cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$$ SCROUNGE LOUNGE $$ JUNE 2017 $$

If someone has already started the June thread, I apologize; a site mod can merge.

Spent 6 hours today on the 400-mile yard sale.  About what I expected - a few keepers, a few listers and a few to take to a local auction house.

We had to start late because my better half (who is just a tad older than me) had to go to the local Social Security office to get enrolled for her age 62 benefits.  For some reason she seemed to be walking just a little slower than me today while we were out scrounging.

Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Thanks for the June thread, Kyal.  I've not seen any other started by anyone else, nor anything about one as a last post in the May lounge.

Laurie

My broom brakes for all thrift stores.
Message 2 of 147
latest reply

I pulled up last month's thread, Kyal and tried to do a copy paste to bring people here but Windows 10 simply wouldn't cooperate on that.

Beautiful weather here right now.  None of that horrid four letter white stuff has come down all week.  We had a downpour of rain but that was a welcome sight.   Maintenance started mowing the grass today, for the first time this year. 

I hope most of you had some sales over Memorial Day.  Not possible for me, as I still have nothing listed.   As I keep saying,  one of these days! Robot Very Happy

Laurie

Message 3 of 147
latest reply

Thanks for the new thread kyal.

I just posted a breadcrumb to the May thread.....which is here -->http://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/SCROUNGE-LOUNGE-MAY-2017/td-p/26914902/jump-to/first-unread-mes...

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 4 of 147
latest reply

Yme - thanks,  Gretel!

Laurie

Message 5 of 147
latest reply

Thanks for the new thread.

Whew at Shoppers double time work,  Waves at Kay, forgets all other comments and adds GREEN GREEN GO GREEN to the listing machines.

Common sense is a flower that does not grow in every garden.

Message 6 of 147
latest reply

So where is Kyal, our "host" for June? 

I do believe Mother Nature has decided that we will now have summer, we just sort of skipped over spring.  Itg's 62 degrees here right now, with a high forecast for the day of 81 and a low of 52.  YAY!

I once had a lime green Chevette that we called The Green Machine.  Too bad I don't still have that, it would be ideal for our eBay world.

Laurie

Message 7 of 147
latest reply

LOL @ walking slower 'for some reason' after visiting the SS office.
THANKS for the June thread.
I can hardly believe we used to do this every week! I surmise that ebay was busier then, there was a lot more talk of sales.
Catching up a bit with all the chattiness! Good to see.
Shoppers, your job sounds like full speed ahead, glad home is a lot less crazy! Makes me tired just reading it. LOL
Yanno, I totally missed the end of SURVIVOR. I fell asleep on the couch and vaguely recall turning the tv off. I was hoping Sara would win - I liked her, man was she all muscle and a strong mental sense too. Cool. I'll be looking it up online and watching the whole show again. I went to bed so early over the last 9 months, I couldn't keep my eyes open past 8, even earlier. Sandra wasn't here to keep me awake.

So, YES, Laurie, I'm smiling from ear to ear, was so excited to have this the last week, FINALLY. Glad your Spring has sprung too. We've finally had some lovely sunny days. Last Thursday was perfect, last day of school, it went smooth. SO glad it's over.

Thanks for posting the link, YME!

Message 8 of 147
latest reply

@kyal wrote:

If someone has already started the June thread, I apologize; a site mod can merge.

Spent 6 hours today on the 400-mile yard sale.  About what I expected - a few keepers, a few listers and a few to take to a local auction house.

We had to start late because my better half (who is just a tad older than me) had to go to the local Social Security office to get enrolled for her age 62 benefits.  For some reason she seemed to be walking just a little slower than me today while we were out scrounging.

Thank you for your update...glad to hear your better half is signing up for SS...local auction house I'll have to google that...:)

Message 9 of 147
latest reply

@good.junque wrote:

So where is Kyal, our "host" for June? 

I do believe Mother Nature has decided that we will now have summer, we just sort of skipped over spring.  Itg's 62 degrees here right now, with a high forecast for the day of 81 and a low of 52.  YAY!

I once had a lime green Chevette that we called The Green Machine.  Too bad I don't still have that, it would be ideal for our eBay world.

Laurie

Yes the good old days of green machines...put's a smile on my face...

Message 10 of 147
latest reply

Thanks for the new thread Kyal.
How much of the 400 miles did you cover?

DH went scrounging without me this morning. I went to my aunt's surprise birthday party. She had no clue. Cousins from Maine clear down to Florida were there, a couple I haven't seen in probably thirty years. It was a nice day.

M*M, I sure you're thrilled that school is out! Enjoy your summer vacation.

Laurie, I'm glad that spring or should I say summer has finally found you/your neck of the woods.

Yme, thanks for dropping the crumbs. Makes it easier to find.

Waving to Justy and Pink Rose.

Whispering up a green, green, green chant.

Message 11 of 147
latest reply

We typically just cover the northernmost 45 miles. Wife's first cousin lives in Murray, though; and we're thinking about going out there next year.

As is often the case for us, we find more goodies in the yard sales that aren't officially part of the 400-mile sale. Probably bought more just to keep this year than any other - yard art, mostly. Here are a few of the scrounges...I mean, bargains that we got:

CPAP machine w/ 2 masks and carrying case - $10
Pentax K-1000 camera and Metz 45 CL-4 quadrolight flash - $5
15-drawer oak card catalog - $20 (a beauty)

And this little treasure - Weller Eocean 14" thistle vase (unfortunately has two chips on the bottom) - $1

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Pottery-Glass-Porcelain/Calling-All-Weller-Experts-Eocean-Thistle-Vase-...

Already flipped about $60 that I bought on Thursday for about $110 the next night - local auction house

Wife and I had more fun this year than any other. Neatest stop was a 3rd or 4th-generation country store off the beaten track. Chatted with the current owner - she included a receipt that was from when her grandfather ran the store. I enjoy talking with folks like this ALMOST as much as picking/scrounging!
Message 12 of 147
latest reply

Great fun and great finds, kyal!  The vase is very nice, hard to see any chips with the light background color glaze.  Great deals on the cameras too. I don't know enough about them but they'd have to be that cheap for me to gamble on them.  

Re: $$SCROUNGE LOUNGE $$ MAY 2017 $$
in reply to 05-31-2017 10:52:51 AM
kaykakfs

Hello Scroungers!

I've been taking notes for the past hundred posts or so. I wonder if they will make any sense or old news should be left behind.
Nah...some of us are slow 🙂

I agreed with Bees that I liked opening the thread to 'next unread post' and SURPRISE! Today I logged in and sure enough was taken to the first unread post. What a pleasant surprise.
I've never ever seen "next unread post"  but I've seen the counter, how many have read it. I think that's a waste of programming but "who am I ?" 

Bees, good luck clearing out the mini warehouse. It's great that you have used book stores that buy. Here book stores (old & new) are a dying breed. The nearest one is probably an hour away.
I hope your continues to heal, quickly.

M*M, now that you have your camera back we need to see pics of your garden. I had to look up bishop's weed and a couple things you mentioned. I need visuals Smiley Happy
OK. I'll consider this a motivation for me to finish weeding , before I take any photos).  That Bishop's weed  will grow anywhere and if I could afford a truckload of dirt, I'd transplant them under the pine trees here. That would be BEAUTYful!  My mother planted it in the flower bed off the patio and that is not a good spot overall, it got too big and took over and if you try to remove it it has ryzomes that fall off and re growth occurs, babies all over. 

Great picture of little O, who isn't so little anymore!
I know! Speaking of, JBeez had asked about the old photos I had posted here a few years ago. I think they stay, but I have them so I don't care what ebay does whether they keep them or not. I'd "Guess" not, too especially that long.

Yme, six ID's are a lot to juggle. Kudos to you. Does each specialize in something different?

Kyal, congrats on raising to Doctors. I'm sure you're very proud.

My niece graduated high school last weekend. We skipped the pomp and circumstance. Too far to travel on Memorial Day weekend. Plus we'd have to give up a day of scrounging Smiley Surprised That wasn't the deciding factor.
Message 13 of 147
latest reply

To answer Kay's question...1 of the IDs pretty much does mostly barware, 1 does mostly kid's stuff, the main one (with the highest FB) does most of the "name" china pottery & glass & long tail type items & also usually the woohoo auctions (unless it's a woohoo and I didn't know it when listed LOL). I have 1 ID which sells to and lists on the Canada site, and then this one which seems to have morphed into doing a lot of figurines etc.

The new ID is selling branded NIB collectible stuffs & toys (mainly) for now.

And of course they ALL sell coffee mugs = )

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 14 of 147
latest reply

@kaykakfs wrote:
Thanks for the new thread Kyal.
How much of the 400 miles did you cover?

DH went scrounging without me this morning. I went to my aunt's surprise birthday party. She had no clue. Cousins from Maine clear down to Florida were there, a couple I haven't seen in probably thirty years. It was a nice day.

M*M, I sure you're thrilled that school is out! Enjoy your summer vacation.

Laurie, I'm glad that spring or should I say summer has finally found you/your neck of the woods.

Yme, thanks for dropping the crumbs. Makes it easier to find.

Waving to Justy and Pink Rose.

Whispering up a green, green, green chant.

Thank you for my wave...:)  I'll chant green, green too!!!!

Message 15 of 147
latest reply