cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Returns - Doesn't Fit

Maybe just more of a vent, but there is a genuine question. We've had 4 return requests for pre-owned clothing items over the past month or so, usually it might be 1 every 2-3 months. 3 claimed wrong size and one was it didn't fit with their current wardrobe. The latest said that the wrong tag was sewn on.  We put dimensions in our listings, especially for pre-owned. Personally I still don't know what my dims are, but if I ordered a piece of clothing that the seller listed the dims would assume that liability when I didn't use that information when I ordered it and just keep it.  Is there anything better we can do than just include the dims? We accept returns, but when the item is $15-20 and we have to pay return shipping is it even worth accepting a return? Or is there a way that the buyer pays return? I know if they claim INAD we do, but can't even challenge it since it's auto-approved. 

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Multiple Returns - Doesn't Fit

I can't answer your clothing returns question but I will say that you are doing a great job selling product. Keep up the good work.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

I will defer to those sellers that sell clothing as to how your return rate compares to an average if there is one. Personally I have never bought clothing online and probably never will. I have found over the years that I have enough trouble with size variations between individual B&M stores. I have always had to try on a given brand or store name piece of clothing to find out what size actually fits. 

My wife used to belong to a program called Stitch-Fix that knew her size and measurements and would send several clothing items each month. She finally quit the program since there was simply too much variance in the way the individual clothing items fit and she had to return a majority of the items. 

As for accepting returns it is probably the best option to take. If you develop a history of refunding the buyer but allowing the buyer to keep the item to avoid the return shipping cost you could become a potential target for phishers or scammers looking to obtain free merchandise. 

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

Thanks for the vote of confidence, days like these sometime makes me question it.

Message 4 of 33
latest reply

Dimensions mean nothing to a lot of us.  I buy based on the tag size - I don’t care to know my dims.  I know that I’m a 32-34 if buying Express jeans and a medium Vineyard Vines dress shirt.  I don’t try on clothing at a retail shop - just grab and go.

I did buy a Medium Vineyard Vines shirt on eBay - just arrived last week.  It does not fit - way too big.  It is definitely much larger than the other VV shirts I have - on both width and sleeve length.  I’ll probably not start a return, but I’d feel justified if I did, even if the dimensions were in the listing.

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

If you're getting too many "remorse" returns

or returns that  you wouldn't normally have to accept if you had a "no returns" policy,

maybe you should consider changing your policy to no returns. 

Other than that there's really no way around what you are experiencing.

It seems like you had a string of bad luck with returns lately.

Hopefully it was just a fluke.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 6 of 33
latest reply

That's exactly why we put the dims, especially with pre-owned clothing. Items tend to shrink (rather than stretch) over time, so the mfg tag usually doesn't mean much for a pre-owned items. That's good info regarding stitch fix, I had actually considered purchasing from them myself. 

Message 7 of 33
latest reply

If a buyer opens a SNAD case (whether it is warranted or not), you will pay return shipping.  There is no way to avoid this and buyers hve learned that a SNAD case gets the seller to pay return shipping.  Continue to include measurements and make sure they are correct.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 8 of 33
latest reply

If the buyer opens a remorse return (it looks like you have a return policy where the buyer pays), then you do not have to pay the return shipping.  Also, if you charged for the initial shipping, you do not to refund that either.   

Message 9 of 33
latest reply

You ONLY have to pay return shipping if a NAD is opened. For most any other type of return, you can set it up your returns to be 'returns accepted, buyer pays shipping'. 

If you are using 'free returns', then you have chosen to pay for the shipping. 

Message 10 of 33
latest reply

That's exactly why we put the dims, especially with pre-owned clothing. Items tend to shrink (rather than stretch) over time, so the mfg tag usually doesn't mean much for a pre-owned items. That's good info regarding stitch fix, I had actually considered purchasing from them myself. 

To add a bit more about Stitch-Fix on a positive note they have some VERY nice clothing and there is no cost for the shipping but of course that is probably baked into the cost of the clothing which my wife never found to be excessive given the quality of the items that did fit. 

Message 11 of 33
latest reply

Personally i am not a fan of offering returns and never have. That being said i do accept some returns but on a case by case scenario. (not including errors i made, those i accept 100%)

Looking at your listings and from others have commented on, they look great. The only thing i would do to add to your listings would be the following..... This is my opinion and may not work for you.

1. Add a ruler in your pictures to show size visually as many do on listings. (Yard stick or sewing tape)

2. Remove Free returns on low priced items. ( i would remove free returns on everything )

3. Remove Free shipping and add a shipping cost 

4. Add more text ( form response for clothing) that explains your no returns and to please read

5. Message buyers to thank them after purchase and let them know of the policy. (Form response message)

6. Add a generic photo showing how measurements are taken. (picture of item with arrows showing where and how measurements are taken. There are a lot of photos online that you can use as a photo template)

These are my opinions not statement of facts. Some may argue that if you remove Free returns and Free shipping, your views / sales will suffer. Possibly. 

Good post and sorry to hear about the returns.

Good luck with the sales!

Message 12 of 33
latest reply

I used to sell a lot of jeans on Ebay... usually the older Made in USA Levis, Wranglers, etc.

I got kind of tired of people not reading descriptions and only going by "tag size", even when I put the actual size in the title and description AND item specifics. Jeans usually shrank a little. Many did not, but many others did.

There were folks who actually read the information in the listings, but many didn't.

I always offered returns (buyer pays) on them, because you can't try them on buying online.

I do have some still listed, but the market seems to have crashed 😩

I wish you well with your listings and there will be ones who buy and return. The economy isn't helping either

Message 13 of 33
latest reply

@this-that-and-then-some wrote:

We accept returns, but when the item is $15-20 and we have to pay return shipping is it even worth accepting a return?

The bottom line is no, it is usually not worth the cost to pay for a shipping return.  Since you offer "free shipping" you will end up paying shipping a minimum of three times if you then resell the item.  Do you still have a net profit after that?  I rarely pay for a return on such low cost items as simply abandoning the item is a better business decision.  This follows the first rule of retail: take your first loss.

For example, you sell a shirt for $16 that cost you $2.  Shipping costs about $5.  Pay shipping twice and now you have a total cost of $12 into the shirt.  You resell and ship again and now you have a total cost of $17 into a shirt that sells for $16.  Better to take the first loss of $7.  If your gross margins are correct then you should be able to absorb these occasional losses.

Message 14 of 33
latest reply

"For example, you sell a shirt for $16 that cost you $2.  Shipping costs about $5.  Pay shipping twice and now you have a total cost of $12 into the shirt.  You resell and ship again and now you have a total cost of $17 into a shirt that sells for $16.  Better to take the first loss of $7. "

Are you saying that a loss of $7 is better than a loss of $1? (Not taking seller time and effort into account, of course)

Message 15 of 33
latest reply