cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery Boxes and Grab Bags: Where do things stand in 2022?

I participated in an older thread on this top to which Brian@ebay seemed to clarify things, however it seems like the policy has changed again.  Has anyone had success or failures recently with them?

‎04-19-2019 01:42 PM

@Anonymous wrote:
brian@ebay wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, I'm happy to clarify! Mystery item listings aren't allowed. This includes the following:

• Listings that are described as a "mystery item"
  • Listings that don't identify the contents, number, quality, or condition of the items for sale

These listings often confuse people about what is actually for sale, which may result in negative feedback or claims being filed. Sellers can list most items as long as they identify what is for sale and don't describe the listing as a "mystery item."

I was not talking about a "mystery item". I was talking about a "mystery box". For example, a seller could have a mystery box of cosmetics, state that it includes (list of brands) and (list of types of products) without revealing exactly what's inside leaving an element of surprise for the buyer. It looks like this IS permitted but eBay is calling it a "grab bag" in the policy and a "mystery box" on the podcast?

As others have mentioned in this thread, 'grab bag' listings are allowed if the seller:

• Identify all contents; the number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified
  • Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectible value

I'm aware and linked that policy in my OP. If the distinction is in calling it a grab bag vs a mystery box then please revise the term "mystery box" in my OP to "grab bag" and advise on the example provided and how specific one needs to be. I would still like an answer to that original question.

I've reviewed this help page and I'm not seeing the terms grab bag and mystery box used interchangeably. If you can point out the parts of the help page that are not clear then I'll be happy to pass along the feedback. Thanks! 

I suppose my interpretation was incorrect. This is how it read to me, with my interpretation added in red font.

Grab bags / mystery boxes can be listed as long as you follow these rules:

• Identify all contents; the number, quality, or condition of each item doesn't need to be identified
  • Don't single out anything that "may" be included with significant monetary or collectible value

Not allowed

Examples of listings and products that are not allowed:

• Mystery items / grab bags where contents aren't identified

brian@ebay 

Hi @Anonymous, sorry for the confusion. Mystery items and mystery boxes mean the same thing. If it's a mystery to the buyer what items are in the box, then it's not allowed.

When listing grab bag listings, sellers need to let buyers know what items are included in the box. Multiple quantities of duplicate items do not need to be disclosed, but sellers must state that at least 1 of each item mentioned is included. For your example using parts and accessories, sellers need to list each unique wrench, clamp, drill bit, hammer, etc. and include any relevant information to that item, such as brand, size, material, etc. Basically, the things that would normally be used to describe an item in a listing would still need to be included in a grab bag. The only things that don't need to be described are the quality, total number (if there are duplicates of the same item), and condition of the items. Everything else should be described in the listing description.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

They are not allowed and nothing has changed.  You can have a bag full of stuff as long as you state what is in the bag. What is your question?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Is something like this allowed?

stephenmorgan_0-1661139982849.png

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@stephenmorgan   Yes, it is allowed. The seller is telling you what you get as long as the 100 cards are in fact between 27 to 33 years old. The problem is the listing is a scam because they are lying; the cards have been searched and there are no good ones in the lot. There is no way to prove the seller is lying.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@stephenmorgan   Yes, it is allowed. The seller is telling you what you get as long as the 100 cards are in fact between 27 to 33 years old. The problem is the listing is a scam because they are lying; the cards have been searched and there are no good ones in the lot. There is no way to prove the seller is lying.

I have no doubt they have been search.  Just like the unsearched rolls of coins.

The description list ends with "plus others" so this to me sounds like a Grab Bag or Mystery Box because you do not know what you are getting.

"You will be getting cards from all the major brands like Fleer, Upper Deck, Topps, Stadium Club, Bowman, Donruss, plus others."

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

They are not allowed and nothing has changed.  You can have a bag full of stuff as long as you state what is in the bag. What is your question?

@spinkid000 

Cool is correct -no change on these.  These only disappoint Buyers. 

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 6 of 6
latest reply