cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I keep a map of my sales. Does anyone else? I have never had a buyer from N Dakota or Wyoming.

I have a Google map labeled eBay sales. I put a pin in every city/state where I have shipped a package.  There have been a few international sales to Greece, Taiwan, Wales, Poland, China, UAE, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Canada, Nova Scotia.  I find it interesting that in the 20 plus years I have been selling, the only 2 states that I have not sold an item are North Dakota & Wyoming.  Just curious if anyone else has a similar project! It's interesting to open up the map & see the hundreds of places my items have been 're-homed'!

Message 1 of 98
latest reply
97 REPLIES 97

Re: I keep a map of my sales. Does anyone else? I have never had a buyer from N Dakota or Wyoming.

@jnybuysell wrote:

How it works I haven't a clue, but I have had 5 sales over a weekend with completely unrelated items and 4 of the 5 were in same state and 5'th was also Midwest. Impossible unless being shown to certain demographics only. Man what I wouldn't give for 5 sales over a weekend.

I think it is just based on population & culture. Demographics have a lot to do with it, especially since our ads are catered especially to our browsing history. 

What I wouldn't give for 5 sales a week! I bring in enough to pay our internet bill each month, at least. For me, eBay is more about finding a place for items not needed or wanted rather than tossing them into a landfill. 

Message 31 of 98
latest reply

Re: I keep a map of my sales. Does anyone else? I have never had a buyer from N Dakota or Wyoming.

@legalbeagle52 wrote:

I've never kept track myself, but years ago when I first started selling (2004) I remember many people doing this.  It's not unusual & is a fun idea!   I can't remember if I've ever sold to WY, but I have sold a handful of times to North Dakota. It always resonates with me because my father-in-law grew up in North Dakota, with seven brothers. My husband always liked to talk about it, as it was an unusual place to us, being from Chicago.

I once bought coupons from someone that lived one building over.  That was weird.  Pretty much next door.  It was just paper coupons, but what was odd was that it took over 2 weeks to mail them out.  She could have walked it over.  I would have left pretty bad feedback but considering she lived next door & had my name/address, I thought better of it.

I have family in ND. Climate shock for them moving from Louisiana's mild winters to having snow still on the ground in April! 

Good call on the feedback decision! That's an odd situation, for sure!

Message 32 of 98
latest reply

@css2001 wrote:

Notable mentions: Bill Wyoming (population 3) with a post office and a "yacht club", and the mythical Jackalope.

My curiosity has been piqued! I must learn more about Bill, WY and this "yacht club"! 

Message 33 of 98
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes wrote:

@*trekkie 

That's fun! I found me

 I'm in that purple dot! 💜 

Hello, purple dot! 👋

Message 34 of 98
latest reply

@pickapaper wrote:

I live in Kansas and most of my sales are to California, New York and Florida.    A couple of months ago, for a couple of weeks, I got a lot of sales from states close around me.  It was so unusual, it was almost weird.  Then that stopped.   I've always wondered why there are so many states (and there are a lot of them) I rarely or never get sales from. 

Population & demographics are the reason. Our personal web history and targeted ads have a lot to do with it too!

Message 35 of 98
latest reply

I had my first sale in 25 years to Cyprus today. So far this year Netherlands, Japan, UK , Greece, Denmark , and Norway.

For the USA, I know most of my sales go to California, Texas, or Florida.

Domestically, I have never made a sale to Nunavut, population 38,780. You'd think with those long winters there would be stamp collectors.

Message 36 of 98
latest reply

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

I had one memorable sale to Wyoming. A $600 book purchased by its best-known politician. (They paid full price, even though I had Best Offer enabled.)

Ooh! Nice! Now you have a really interesting six degrees of separation to share with others! (Plus, money knows no political boundaries! LOL!)

Message 37 of 98
latest reply

@lonebuck-books wrote:

I used to get quite a few sales in Wyoming and North Dakota when I lived in Wyoming.  The people of Wyoming are very proud of their state.  Most of the people I knew when I lived there would pay extra to buy from a Wyoming seller vs any other state.  It's a state pride thing.  When your state has less than a half million population, people try to support what they consider to be their neighbor.  

Makes sense. When you come from a strong cultural background, people are weary to buy from strangers on the internet. I know that is why I have never sold anything even remotely close to my home! Locals prefer to buy in person & have the item literally in hand. 

Message 38 of 98
latest reply

Impressive! LOL! Can't say I have ever seen your "jackalope", but I have had a town officer ring the doorbell at 3AM to let me know there was a 7 foot alligator in my driveway under my vehicle! It was a catch & release! 

Message 39 of 98
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I had my first sale in 25 years to Cyprus today. So far this year Netherlands, Japan, UK , Greece, Denmark , and Norway.

For the USA, I know most of my sales go to California, Texas, or Florida.

Domestically, I have never made a sale to Nunavut, population 38,780. You'd think with those long winters there would be stamp collectors.

Nice to know there are still Philatelists out there! Little tiny works of art that transverse the globe! Been collecting since I was 7 or 8 years old! I only limit myself to the space themed ones nowadays. Although, I am a fan of Terry Pratchett and when he wrote one of his Discworld books taking place in a post office and they actually printed these fictional stamps in the UK, I was thrilled!

Message 40 of 98
latest reply

Impressive! LOL! Can't say I have ever seen your "jackalope", but I have had a town officer ring the doorbell at 3AM to let me know there was a 7 foot alligator in my driveway under my vehicle! It was a catch & release! 

laugh.jpg

Message 41 of 98
latest reply

@*trekkie I occasionally cosplay as Grannie Ogg. (also Blue Hands-Firefly and Agent Carter).

Message 42 of 98
latest reply

This guy?

alligator.png

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 43 of 98
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@*trekkie I occasionally cosplay as Grannie Ogg. (also Blue Hands-Firefly and Agent Carter).

That is so awesome! Woo-hoo! Another Discworld fan! My eBay avatar pic is our cat, Esmie. She was named after Granny Weatherwax because she had the same attitude and very pretty feet! The only cat the dogs were ever afraid of! She crossed the rainbow bridge 2 years ago. She graced us for 19 years with her presence. 

Message 44 of 98
latest reply

No, I don't keep a map but that's a good idea.

Message 45 of 98
latest reply