cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback for unpaying Buyers

Sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for Buyers who dont pay for and tie up an item for 4 days until Ebay cancels. Not fair for Sellers that these sad Buyers get zero repercussions.....cost us potential buisness and $$.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Feedback for unpaying Buyers

@jeffcerreta04 wrote:

Sellers should be able to leave negative feedback for Buyers who dont pay for and tie up an item for 4 days until Ebay cancels. Not fair for Sellers that these sad Buyers get zero repercussions.....cost us potential buisness and $$.

There ARE repercussions.
If you do things correctly, a non-paying bidder/buyer gets a strike.
After 2 of these strikes sellers can block this buyer.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 16 of 38
latest reply

Ebay also must implement at auctions end immediate payment. This hurts sellers too.

Message 17 of 38
latest reply

Any seller who wants immediate payment is free to list with IPR.  

Message 18 of 38
latest reply

BE SURE to cancel and use "Buyer has not paid" as reason. If a buyer gets enough of these strikes eBay should require they only "Buy it Now" with immediate payment. NO bidding, no best offers.

@allen1853 

I was under the impression that if you have this setting that the buyer with these strikes couldn't purchase any of your items based on the following:  On my buyer requirements activity log it states " This list shows buyers blocked from bidding on/purchasing your item(s) based on your Buyer Requirements preferences.  Can they still purchase BIN items?   My activity log is only showing one buyer who was blocked on one of my auctions.  They actually tried 3 times to bid on the item.   I'm really not interested in blocking them from a BIN. 

Message 19 of 38
latest reply

It used to be like that, until Ebay got to many complaints from buyers who didn't like getting negative feedback.  Sellers used to think it silly to leave a positive comment for the buyer, (he did what we all do when we buy something, he paid.)  When Ebay started this the board and people were up in arms about it. What do mean we can only leave a positive and they can still give us the a negative?  that's when they started the star system, that was supposed to make up for it.  But really it just put more pressure on sellers to perform more and have new things to worry about.  Now I think it's kinda funny how the board cheerleaders are all on board with it.  This board has really went down hill since then.  You ask a question and you always seem to get a few snarky answers from the cheerleaders about how it's your fault, or how didn't you know this already.  If you want to post a snarky response to this, or do then you know who you are.

Message 20 of 38
latest reply

@nanniestreasurechest wrote:

I was under the impression that if you have this setting that the buyer with these strikes couldn't purchase any of your items based on the following:  On my buyer requirements activity log it states " This list shows buyers blocked from bidding on/purchasing your item(s) based on your Buyer Requirements preferences.  Can they still purchase BIN items? 

I think so, if the item requires Immediate Payment.

The Buyer Requirements Activity Log shows users who were blocked by the requirements limits, such as too many Unpaid strikes. (It does not show blocks from users on your Blocked Buyer List.) But hitting on an Immediate Payment Required listing doesn't actually take it off the market from other buyers unless or until the user actually makes payment, so in other words, there's no need to protect that item from non-paying deadbeats. They either pay for it or it remains on sale.

Message 21 of 38
latest reply

There are certain items that sellers wish to list as auction. Ebay should require all buyers who either accept a best offer or wins an auction to have immediate payment. 

Message 22 of 38
latest reply

AGREE 100%.....if they make me an offer and I agree, then pay for it already ! lol....

Message 23 of 38
latest reply

@johnrj1226 

I would ditch your Best Offers feature on your listings - I feel you are just advertising I WILL TAKE LESS and leave money on the table - if you feel your price is fair -

I agree, and I do use Best Offer a fair bit.

Partly on items that even I, in a category famous for long-tail items, consider the item to be deadstock.

And partly, because the US dollar is so strong right now, that I can accept a lower offer and still make the same profit. (From an 80c loonie to a 73c loonie over the past two years.)

https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=53.2&From=USD&To=CAD

If the buyer does not pay, whether the seller or eBay handles the UPI the buyer gets that Strike.

Message 24 of 38
latest reply

Ebay should require all buyers who either accept a best offer or wins an auction to have immediate payment.

I accepted a Best Offer this morning at 9:38 Pacific Daylight Time.

The buyer is in Iceland on Greenwich Mean Time, which is 12 hours different. He might be on his computer or he might be in bed. 

With auctions, many sophisticated bidders use "sniping" services to lay their bids at the last nano-second, while they go about their daily business rather than hanging over a hot keyboard -- or forgetting to bid at all.

Message 25 of 38
latest reply

I read two comments above stating that the UPI's closing after 4 days is now automatic... I believe that is a setting that the seller must opt for. It can be automatic or the seller can choose to do it manually. There may very well be times when a seller wants to wait (a buyer bidding on multiple items, for example).

Message 26 of 38
latest reply

@varebelrose wrote:

I read two comments above stating that the UPI's closing after 4 days is now automatic... I believe that is a setting that the seller must opt for.

It is a setting that was inherited from the old Unpaid Item Assistant. If the seller was using that at the time that eBay transitioned to the new procedure, then the new 4-day automatic cancellation went into effect. Otherwise the automatic cancellation is an option that the seller needs to activate, after which they will not need to manually cancel Unpaid sales in future. (There is an option to deactivate it for specific cases if the seller is giving a buyer more time to pay.)

Go here to check your own cancellation settings or turn the automatic process On or Off:

https://www.ebay.com/Cancel/Preference/UnpaidPurchase 

Message 27 of 38
latest reply

The "star system"? Are you talking about feedback numbers? How would that be expected to "makeup" for the fact that sellers cannot leave negs for buyers? Not really related.   

Message 28 of 38
latest reply

have done the same on slow moving stuff to but I set a minimum price I will accept on the BO option

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 29 of 38
latest reply

I always look at feedback for buyers I get that are new customers because there are no buyer ratings, but sometimes sellers give warnings, which I appreciate. But boy oh boy do I get scared when I get orders from 0 feedback buyers, I've been luck thus far, but have heard terrible stories from other sellers

Message 30 of 38
latest reply